- Text Size +
CHAPTER 23
Katherine walked through the silent house, she looked at each of the closed doors, and each of her children lay sleeping within the rooms. Katherine walked further down the hallway and opened the dark door; she reached out and waved her hand and two candles on the wall sprung to life. On a pedestal in the center of the room sat her large spell book. She needed to cast a spell, the very spell she had been dreading casting, a spell that would put all those that sided with Nickolas a sleep for two hundred years. A spell that would end her suffering with Nickolas for the time being, giving her time to recover and gain the advantage over her foe. She knew that the sleep would restore Nickolas’s lost strength but she also knew that her own power would be at its peek. But she’d have to get a lock of his hair first just to cast this spell. She knew that it was nearly sun set and that meant Nickolas would be hunting soon.
“Good evening children. Who of you would like to join me for the hunt this evening?”
“You usually go alone mistress, what is the change?” Martin asked; he had seen Katherine come from her spell chamber. Katherine looked around the room and noticed her children were silent; none would step forward to hunt with her.
“Are none of you brave enough to hunt with me?” Katherine asked. She had never found her children to fear anything, looking around she saw that Bianca was still standing with the others, maybe the child had made her choice.
“I will hunt with you.” Darcy said standing forward. Bianca hissed and turned and tore off in the other direction. Katherine knew that Darcy’s place in the house still bothered her, but she wasn’t dealing with a spoiled child. Taking Darcy’s arm, she allowed him to lead her from the mansion and into the darkness.
“What was that all about?” Darcy asked once they were away from the mansion.
“She is jealous and will learn her place soon. She has a choice to make and I will give her one more day. If the change has not come to her, she will not live to see another day.” Katherine hissed. She knew that Bianca was nearby she could feel her presence. And that meant she heard every word that Katherine had just said. Leaping from the shadows Bianca landed next to them.
“You’d do that?” Bianca growled.
“Don’t try me little one. I made you who you are and I can easily take that away. My power is no longer yours to have. From this time on you will only have the use of what vampire power has been given to you and the power that is your own.”
“You wouldn’t.”
“You make your choice before tomorrow evening and maybe I shall change this. Until then, you best hunt.” Katherine informed her. Bianca took off into the darkness and disappeared. She knew she was on borrowed time, but did she dare align herself with Nickolas and face death? Or make a choice and face it anyway.


Nickolas awoke more weak than he did when he had gone to sleep the day before.
“Where is the meal?”
“I could not catch anything master. There are small children that have been wondering around outside. I will fetch one for you.”
“Good idea, until you’ve returned I will rest, Katherine has taken much from me.”
“I know master.” Nathaniel said, turning and leaving his master alone. An evil laugh came from the shadows, Nickolas looked around trying to find the place where the laughter was coming from.
“You’ve been left alone, do you dare be left alone?” Katherine laughed a she walked from the shadows.
“You dare come to my chambers? You dare come here.”
“I dare a lot of things Nickolas, I could easily kill you right now and your young boy would never know.”
“You don’t dare.”
“I do dare. But I choose not to, there is a curse I have just for you Nickolas. A curse that will change everything.”
“You are always looking for the easy way out of a fight.”
“I could kill you Nickolas. You are the one that caused me to be what I am, changed my fate and turned me into this demon. But my destiny never changed. The evil that resides within you will be destroyed.”
“You can not destroy me and you know it.” Nickolas laughed. Katherine growled and leaped at him pinning him to the large bed that he was laying against. She held his larger form on the bed with ease, smiling she leaned down and licked the side of his face.
“Tell me Nickolas, how does if feel to be powerless against me? To not be able to defend yourself because your child can not help you.”
“He is around, he will kill you.” Nickolas laughed. Katherine knew better than that, Nathaniel was cowardly and was unable to stand up to Nickolas how would the boy stand up to her. A soft sound came from the darkness, and Katherine turned toward it, she could see Nathaniel standing in the shadows holding a dagger above his head.
“So the little boy wishes to play.” Katherine said leaping into the darkness and pressing Nathaniel against the wall behind him, his arms held fast above his head.
“I will destroy you before you can destroy my master.”
“Not likely.” Katherine laughed as she pulled the silver dagger from his hand and buried deep in his chest, a deep howl came from Nickolas as Katherine moved aside and Nathaniel dropped to the floor, his blood slowly staining the deep blue carpet.
“You will pay for that with your own life.” Nickolas shouted. Katherine reached out to him and grabbed his hair harshly and pulled his head backward and kissed him fiercely and took a snip of his hair.
“Remember Nickolas you are the one that made me this way. Remember that while you are watching your child die.” Katherine laughed as she turned and left him alone. Nickolas fell from the bed and crawled to Nathaniel. He held the younger man in his arms and kissed his forehead.
“I am sorry, I am sorry that I never showed my feelings to you.”
“I always knew.” Nathaniel replied, he gasped one last time and then went limp, a short time later his body disappeared. Nickolas’s voice howled through the air as Katherine returned to her home in the darkness. Darcy knew what had happened and stood by her side as they returned to the mansion.