- Text Size +
God, sometimes I can't stand Courtney... Faith thought bitterly as she walked into the restaurant that her friend, Courtney, had told her to meet at. She always has to set me up with people I don't even know.

Faith looked around the restaurant, trying to spot Courtney, her boyfriend Rick, and whoever it was that she had brought. It wasn't until she heard Courtney's high pitched voice call out, "Faith! Faithy, over here!" that she noticed her. And who didn't? Just about everyone else in the restaurant turned and looked at the crazy lady waving her arm back and forth to get her friends attention.

Faith took a deep breath, shook her head, and walked reluctantly to the table. Courtney was crazy...Always finding some way to get all of the attention focused on her, in the most embarrassing way.

As she got nearer to the table, Faith noticed that along with Courtney, Rick, and the very good looking guy that Courtney had set her up with, there was another man and woman sitting at the table. But they didn't even notice when Faith got to the table. They were too busy groping and making out with each other.

"Sorry I'm late," Faith told everyone, "Jason kept me late. I got here as soon as I could."

"It's okay," Courtney quickly said, "Anyway, Faith, this is Craig O'Donell. Craig, this is my best friend ever, Faith Morgan."

"It's very nice to meet you." Craig said, shaking Faith's hand. He had a slight accent. It was cute, he was hot. Faith could already tell that she was going to like him...

*******************************************

Less than half way through dinner, Faith's first impression of Craig was crushed. He was nothing like her. They had not one thing in common. He was big into sports. That was almost all he talked about. He was telling her all about how in high school he was on almost every sports team. When he asked her if she played any sports she answered him by saying, "Only in PE if I couldn't forge a note to get me out of it." The conversation basically ended there.

Now, as they ate, Craig was going on again about his football team to anyone who would listen. Courtney and Rick were basically taking over the make-out couple of the evening now that Brittney and AJ, the other two that were there, had stopped. Brittney was now listening to Craig, and adding in her own little comments on how she was a cheerleader all through high school. They were definently a match made in heaven.

Faith was making small talk with AJ. He seemed much more her type. He was charming, sweet, and he seemed like a gentleman. But then when she remembered him making out with Brittney at the beginning of the date (And they'd only known each other for 10 minutes at that time, he told her.), and saw that he had so many tattoos she knew that it was all probably just an act. Too bad, she thought sadly, He seems like a great guy.

"So, what is it that you do?" AJ asked her.

"I work at a law firm..." Faith answered him.

"Really? That must be...interesting."

Faith shook her head. "Not really. I'm actually just the assistant to one of the lawyers. I mostly just answer phone calls and...keep track of his things," She answered him, "And for that I get overtime and an unenvied salary."

"Kind of sounds like your boss is a jerk." AJ said to her.

"Oh, he is. But I stick with the job because I get lots of vacation time," Faith said with a smile, "I take advantage of that."

"Yeah, I would too. I get weeks off at a time, but it really doesn't seem like enough." AJ said.

"What do you do?" Faith asked him.

"I'm a musician." AJ answered her simply.

"Okay...well what do you do?" Faith asked, trying to get him to go more into detail.

AJ smiled. "It's now kind of embarrassing."

"Oh come on. It can't be that bad. Just tell me."

"I'm a singer."

"How is that bad?" Faith asked.

"Well," AJ said quietly, "I was in the Backstreet Boys..."

Faith nodded. "Oh...Ohhh. That's not that...okay, moving on."

"See, it's horrible," AJ said with a laugh, "I shouldn't have told you. Now you're going to make fun of me forever."

"No I'm not." Faith insisted, "I think it's...nice. A good living."

"Well it was. I got some nice houses...cars."

"I have one apartment. One small apartment. And one car." Faith smiled, "You sure are living the high life...What are you doing going on these blind dates?"

AJ shrugged. "Rick asked me to come and meet Brittney. As you can see, we didn't really hit it off." He nodded over to Brittney, who had moved her seat closer to Craig. They were now following Rick and Courtney's lead and tonguing each other.

"Wasn't she just doing that with you not too long ago?" Faith asked AJ.

He nodded. "I think it's just her way of showing that she approves of somebody." He explained.

"That is incredibly disturbing. But I'm sure that you liked it." Faith said with a smile.

"Well, I'm not going to lie...She's good at what she does." AJ said.

Faith smiled and shook her head. "I know where it's going to end up the next time you two meet."

AJ raised his eyebrows and said, "I ain't going to go out with her again. She's...way too into Craig."

"I know. And he's supposed to be my date. This whole thing has gone backwards."

"That's not really a bad thing," AJ said, "I've gotten to know you a lot better than I got to know Brittney."

"Yeah. And it's weird, but I think I have more in common with you than Craig," Faith said, "It seems like Courtney and Rick got this match-up wrong."

"Yeah, they did," AJ agreed with a nod, "Shows how much they know about us."