- Text Size +
Chapter 10


Veronica sipped at her Coke, looking around. She loved clubs, as much as she tried to deny it, she did. Granted, she didn’t go out as much as she should, she loved the atmosphere, sitting back and watching everyone dancing and laughing, what a lot of people didn’t know was that she was a people watcher. She’d learned a lot about people just by watching, their facial expressions, their body language; it was louder than actually talking she found most of the time. She looked across the table at Lynne who was smiling broadly, bobbing her head to the music excitedly and chuckled. Lynne was in her element, she loved to dance and meet new people, whereas Veronica stayed on the sidelines mostly and just watched.

“You should go out there and dance!” Lynne exclaimed.

Veronica shook her head, “Nah, I can’t dance.”

“That’s a lie and you know it, you’ve got all that natural rhythm, I’ve seen you dancing around your apartment,” Lynne grinned.

She blushed, clearing her throat, “That’s different.”

“Whatever.”

“Excuse me, would you like to dance?”

Veronica smiled; guys were always asking Lynne to dance.

“No thanks,” Lynne responded, sipping at her drink.

“Lynne, go on! You’ve been dying to dance.”

“Yeah, come on Lynne is it? Dance with me,” the guy winked.

Lynne looked over at Veronica and frowned, “What about you?”

“What about me? I’ll be fine, go on, have fun,” Veronica smiled encouragingly.

Lynne looked hesitant until Veronica glared at her and she stood finally, taking the guys hand and letting him lead her off to the dance floor.

Veronica watched as they danced, happy for Lynne, but also a bit depressed. Guys never really asked her to dance, and she was ok with it, she understood. She wasn’t really a flashy girl, she dressed modestly, that’s not to say that Lynne dressed wild, but she took chances whereas she was more conservative. She didn’t really like to show off her body or too much skin, she felt uncomfortable with herself and most certainly wasn’t going to let anyone else look at her either. She swirled her straw in her drink and sighed, resting her head on her hand. It was her own fault, she could do better, she’d gotten dressed up before and had looked the part of a young woman out to have fun, but most of the time she just didn’t bother. She just didn’t see herself as socially acceptable and it seemed others didn’t either. Putting herself out there like that left the opportunity for rejection, and that was something she didn’t take well, never had.

She looked up as Lynne made her way over, panting softly as she slipped into the chair.

“Whew, I could barely keep up with him, he can dance.” She smiled, taking a long swallow of her drink.

Veronica chuckled, “I saw you two out there, you were holding your own.”

“I guess, damn I’m hot!” Lynne muttered, fanning herself with her hand. “You ready to leave?”

“I guess, ohh look! He’s coming back over Lynne!” Veronica squealed.

“No shit, really?” Lynne turned her head just as the guy came back over.

“Ready for another?”

“No, I don’t think so, we’re just getting ready to leave actually. Thanks for the dance though.”

“No problem, here’s my number, give me a call sometime,” the guy offered, grabbing a napkin and writing his number down before handing it to her.

Lynne smiled and took the number, putting it in her purse, “Thanks, see ya around sometime maybe.”

“See ya,” the guy gave her a wave and walked off.

Veronica chuckled and shook her head, “Look at you, raking the men in.”

Lynne rolled her eyes, “Yeah sure.”

They gathered their stuff up and made their way out.

Lynne tossed the napkin in the nearest garbage can and headed out after Veronica.