- Text Size +
Chapter 106

He made his way out of bus, rubbing at his eyes, yawning sleepily. He’d gone to bed early the night before, but he was still exhausted. Nick looked over to see Kevin getting out of his bus, already on the phone with someone. He made his way over; joining Howie how had also just come up.

“God, did this seem to take longer than usual? I feel like I’ve been on that bus forever,” Howie frowned, running his fingers through his hair.

“All I know is I’m freakin’ starved, have they set up breakfast yet?” Kevin questioned, stifling a yawn.

Howie shrugged, “Dunno, I don’t smell anything.”

“That don’t matter D, they could’ve just started. I’m gonna go look, I’m too hungry to sit around and be patient,” Nick groaned, starting past the two men.

He made his way around the venue, saying hi to various people. Nick noticed the tents set up and various serving pans sitting out.

“Wherever there’s food, that’s where Nick will be,” AJ laughed, coming up behind him.

“Fuck off McLean,” Nick groaned.

“Well I hate to burst your bubble, but they’re not ready yet.”

“Damn, I’m starving.”

“I’m sure you can handle it man,” AJ chuckled.

Nick waved him off, turning and heading back for his bus, when his cell rang. He pulled the phone out of his pocket, looking at the display, his face falling. He flipped the phone opened, making his way back onto his bus.

“Hello?”

“Nicky? It’s Cheryl!”

He winced, “Oh, hey Cheryl, what’s up?”

“Hey baby, not much, I miss you. I heard that you’re in town for a concert, you know I’m gonna be there.”

“You are? That’s great,” he sighed, slumping down on the couch in the back of the bus.

“Mmmhmm, so I was thinking, maybe we can get together, ya know, like old times. Hang out and catch up,” Cheryl giggled.

Yeah, he knew exactly what she meant, and normally he’d be all for it. This time however, he wasn’t as interested.

“Aww I dunno baby, me and the guys were thinking about hanging out for a while.”

“Aww c’mon Nicky, you can see the guys everyday, it’s been forever since we last hung out. Please? I’ll make it worth your while,” she murmured.

“I know Cher…”

“I’ll get us some wine and some movies and we can just relax and talk and ya know, mellow out.”

He rubbed at his forehead; he really didn’t want to be bothered. He supposed he could just go to get her off her back, but he couldn’t seem to stop the overwhelming feeling of guilt for even considering it, even it was just to get her to shut up. Nick drummed his fingers on his leg, shaking his head, he couldn’t do it. He just couldn’t.

“Sorry baby, but I can’t. Look, if my plans change before tonight, I’ll give you a call ok?”

“Aww Nicky…” Cheryl whined.

“I’m really sorry, but I gotta jet, AJ’s calling me, we’re getting ready to head out,” he lied.

She sighed heavily, “Fine, please call if anything changes ok? I’ll come to you.”

“Yeah, sure. I gotta go, talk to ya later.”

“Bye.”

Nick flipped the phone closed, letting out a breath. Since when was she so annoying? He was sure that before he would’ve jumped at the chance to meet up with her. Letting out a growl of frustration, he flipped his phone open and pressed a number for speed dial and waited.

“Hello?”

“Hey V.”

“Nick! How are you? Wow this is a surprise so early in the morning.”

“I hope I didn’t wake you,” he smiled.

“Nah, I was up. So what’s going on?”

“Not much, just waiting for breakfast then I’m probably just gonna chill till the concert.”

“Can’t you hang out with the guys?”

“Well they’re all gonna be doing their own thing, most of the time we hang out individually since we’re together so much. It gets lonely after a while.”

“Don’t you have someone you can hang out with while you’re there?”

He did, but he didn’t want to.

“Yeah I guess, but I don’t feel like it, besides, I‘d rather talk to you.”

“Oh sure, wanna wallow in your own self pity is what it is,” Veronica laughed.

“Exactly! You know me so well.”

“Uh huh, I bet you say that to all the ladies.”

“Nah, I don’t.”

“You’re smooth Nick; sure you do, because you know they’d rather be talking to you than doing whatever it was they were doing when you called.”

Nick chuckled, “If you say so.”

“It’s true, so I can’t consider myself special.”

“Yeah, but with you I mean it.”

There was silence for a moment before she responded.

“You’re cute Nick.”

Suddenly AJ poked his head into the bus.

“Yo Nick, breakfast is ready, you better get your ass out here before I eat it all,” AJ grinned.

“Look V, I gotta jet, breakfast is ready and I gotta go get some before everyone else gets all the good stuff.”

“Alright, take care and good luck tonight!”

“Thanks, I’ll talk to ya later honey.”

“Bye!”

“Bye!”

He hung up, a smile lingering on his lips. Standing he slipped the phone back into his pocket and made his way out the bus.