- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
No snickering at the choice of song, it's a great song and I happen to enjoy this artists songs quite a bit! LOL! The song really fits the situation if you pay real close attention to the lyrics, you'll see!
Chapter 108

The Day of the Concert…

She slipped the cord around her neck, staring down at the badge, her smile growing wider. She couldn’t believe the day had finally come. In a few hours she’d see Nick again and she’d be meeting the rest of the guys. A wave of nervousness rushed over her. She had no idea what to expect, how would they treat her? How would Nick treat her? Sighing, Veronica made one last look through her purse to make sure she had everything.

“Wallet, camera, phone…pass,” she tugged on the cord around her neck. “Ok, I think that’s everything.” She zipped up her purse just as her cell rang. Unzipping her purse again, she pulled the phone out and flipped it open. “Hello?”

“Hey!”

“Nick hi!”

“I just wanted to let you know that we’re gonna be pulling into the venue in about a half an hour.”

“Ok cool, I’m gonna be leaving in about twenty minutes, gonna eat something first make sure I have everything and then I’ll head out.”

“Alright, how long does it take for you to get here?”

“About an hour and a half, so I should be there at…mmm…”she looked at her watch. “Probably around 9:30, then again they don’t open the park until eleven.”

“Don’t worry about that, you’re there with us, you’ll be able to get back into the venue. I don’t know how familiar you are with this venue, but you can just come around back.”

“Yup, I know where to go.”

“Make sure you have your phone on you incase you have a hard time getting in, which you shouldn’t, but just incase. Call me if you run into any problems and I’ll take care of it ok?”

“Ok.”

“Cool, so I guess I’ll see you in a couple hours.”

“Yeah, see ya then!”

“Drive careful Veronica.”

She chuckled, “I will. Bye Nick!”

“Bye!”

She hung up and slipped her phone back into her purse, making her way out her room and into the kitchen to eat something before heading out a short time later.

~~~~~~~~~~~

Nick flipped the phone closed and slumped back on the couch. God he was nervous, he was so nervous, and anxious. In a few hours from now, he’d finally see Veronica again. Granted it’d only been a month since they last saw each other, but it felt longer. Besides, their parting hadn’t been the best and so much had happened, he was dying to see her and see how she was doing.

He couldn’t wait to arrive at the venue, he had to get off the bus, he was going crazy. Standing, he headed over to the stereo, turning the radio on. He might as well start to get ready for when the arrived to make the time go faster, he had to do something to make time go faster. Nick switched through the stations until he found a song he liked, turning he went to his bunk, getting his bag out and pulling some clothes out to change into. He made his way into the bathroom, showering quickly; dressing and then making his way back out.

Stuffing his dirty clothes into a bag, he stuffed that bag back into his other bag and then proceeded to clean his bus a bit. Normally he didn’t care, but since Veronica was coming, he did want to show her around his bus. Sniffing he frowned, it didn’t smell so pleasant in there either. Nick shuffled around, opening the windows and spraying some air freshener he’d brought with him. Usually he used that to spray in his bag when the smell of the dirty clothes became so overwhelming when they couldn‘t get to a laundromat, a trick he’d learned after years on the road. Not that it was the smartest thing to do; he’d had to throw out several pairs of shorts and pants because they smelled too much like “fresh linen”.

Hands on his hips, Nick looked around, wishing desperately that he had one of those portable vacuum cleaners. He could just ask to borrow Howie’s once they arrived, Howie had everything. Nick hurried around, throwing out several empty pop cups and cans and picking up dirty clothes and shoving them in his dirty clothes bag and then shoving the bag underneath the bunk. She was going to think he was a pig.

Nick hurried around for another ten minutes before finally finishing, he slumped back down on the couch, looking at his watch again, they’d be arriving anytime now. Time was going so slow for some reason. He stood again, this time to turn the radio off, he’d forgotten he’d turned it on and now it was annoying him. Maybe he’d play a video game until they arrived. He made his way over to the stereo, wincing at the song playing, it sounded like something Kevin would listen to, though it did sound strangely familiar. What the hell was he listening to?

Last night, I said goodbye, now it seems years. I’m back in the city where nothing is clear. But thoughts of me holding you, bringing us near.

He blinked, frowning, he started to press the button to turn the stereo off, but found that he couldn’t do it.
And tell me, when will our eyes meet, when can I touch you…when will this strong yearning end? And when will I hold you again?

Nick did recognize the song, Kevin did listen to it. Nick had heard the song coming from Kevin’s hotel room on several occasions and had been thoroughly disgusted by it. That was until now. He couldn’t believe he was listening to it, couldn’t believe he was actually liking it, couldn’t believe that it made him think of…

Stepping back, he slumped down on the couch yet again, listening carefully to the words that seemed to be telling his story.

Time in New England, took me away. To long rocky beaches, and you by the bay. We started a story, whose end must now wait. And tell me, when will our eyes meet, when can I touch you…when will this strong yearning end? And when will I hold you again?

His features softened, a small frown on his lips. It was all so dramatic and cheesy, but he’d be damned if it wasn’t exactly how he felt, what he’d been thinking. This was pathetic, here he was, a twenty five year old man listening to…to this and relating to it. What was worse, it made him even more excited to see her.

I feel the change coming, I feel the wind blow. I feel brave and daring, I feel my blood flow. With you I can bring out all the love that I have. With you there’s a heaven, so earth ain’t so bad. And tell me…

Standing suddenly, Nick started pacing, ok so maybe not all of it he could relate to, but most of it. Still it was a good thing the guys weren’t here to see this, to witness Nick Carter totally going sappy over a song that made him think of her. Biting his lip, he walked over and forced himself to turn the stereo off. He wouldn’t listen to anything else; he didn’t want to listen to music anymore anyway.

Looking around, he realized that he’d been so caught up in the song, that he hadn’t realized they’d arrived at the venue. Grabbing his phone, he slipped it into his pocket and hurried off the bus, making a mental note to get the cd with that song on it.

And tell me, when will our eyes meet, when can I touch you…when will this strong yearning end? And when will I hold you again?

Weekend in New England - by Barry Mannilow