- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Hey all, I just wanted to say thanks for all the great feedback you give me on a regular basis. Please don't forget to check the reviews because I do repond to each and every review anyone gives. Thanks again and enjoy!
Chapter 116

Veronica watched him, waiting for him to come over. He was staring at her as if he were expecting her to attack him or something. She blinked, the corner of her mouth tipping up.

“Nick?”

“Yeah?”

“You coming back over?”

“Huh? Oh yeah, yeah.”

He made his way over, sitting next to her, slumping back.

She looked over at him, trying not to smile.

He looked over at her, “What?”

“Nothing!”

He chuckled softly, turning on the couch. Scooting back, he rested in the corner, his legs stretched out behind her, his arms open, “C’mere.”

“Huh?”

“Come…here.”

She looked at him, “I’m not laying on you Nick.”

“Why not?”

“Uh, I’ll smoosh you that’s why.”

He rolled his eyes, “Veronica?”

“Yeah?”

“C’mere.”

She sighed heavily, scooting up a bit, letting her legs hang down and somehow managing to end up resting on his hip. Shifting, she moved so that most of her weight was against the couch so that she wasn’t actually resting on him.

Nick looked down at her, sighing heavily. Not quite what he had wanted, but he’d take what he could get. Sliding his arm down he ran his hand up and down over her arm gently.

“Ya know I was thinking about that night you called, remember? When you had that dream about your dad.”

“Oh god do I, I was hoping you’d forgotten,” she winced.

“Huh? Why?”

“I can’t believe I did that. It was like something out of a cheesy movie. So overdramatic and lame. God, it’s a good thing you couldn’t see me, how embarrassing.”

It was true, the morning after she’d been thoroughly embarrassed that she’d called him so late and had cried to him over the phone about a dream.

“You shouldn’t be embarrassed, I told you to call me anytime and I’m glad you did. I hope you’ll continue to do so.”

Veronica shook her head; he was just saying it she knew. Still, it was nice to hear it.

“Anyway, as I was saying. I was thinking about that night, and how upset you were, and there was something I wanted to do then, that I couldn’t…but that I wanna do now.”

She looked up at him, “Oh yeah? What’s that?”

He stared at her for a moment before wrapping his arms around her, tugging her up a bit,hugging her tightly.

“I wanted so badly to hug you, to tell you that it was gonna be ok, that it would get better. I just…wanted to be there with you,” he whispered, burying his face in her hair.

She swallowed hard, resting her head against his chest, “Thanks Nick.”

“Mmm…”

“It really meant a lot to me that you listened, that you didn’t just blow me off, cause you could’ve.”

“No I couldn’t.”

“Yeah you could’ve, and I appreciate that you didn’t. That you respected me enough and my feelings enough to care. Thank you.”

“Don’t thank me, it’s what friends do.”

“You…realize why I really called you right?”

He lifted his head to see her looking up at him, “Why?”

“To get you to sing to me,” she winked.

And just like that, she’d lightened the moment.

He chuckled, “Yeah well, all you have to do is ask ya know.”

“Yeah, but it’s better when I catch ya off guard and half asleep.”

“Cause you know I’m at my best then.”

“Yup!”

Nick smiled, shaking his head.

Veronica was quiet for a bit before speaking again.

“Nick…is it…ok for me to go over to the refreshment area before the concert to get some things?”

“Well sure, but if you’re hungry you can get something from catering.”

“No, it’s not that I’m hungry.”

“If you don’t want food then what are you gonna get?”

She didn’t say anything.

Nick looked down at her to find she was avoiding his gaze.

“Veronica?”

“Hmm?”

“What were you gonna get?”

She shrugged, a light blush on her cheeks.

Nick cocked his head to the side, confused until it finally dawned on him.

Souvenirs.

“Oh, you wanted to get some…” he smiled.

Veronica blushed deeper, burying her face in his neck.

He laughed softly, “Of course you can baby, you’re not on a leash or anything.”

“Ugh, forget it.”

“No no, get em! Don’t let me stop you,” he smirked.

“Just nevermind, I can’t believe this.”

“It’s cool Veronica really; I’m just teasing with you.”

“Damn I feel like the biggest dope ever,” she sighed, finally looking up at him.

“Why?”

“I just do. Me and my friends would always get ya know…the stuff when we went to a concert, that was half the fun. Spending obscene amounts of money and ya know…”

Nick smiled, “Yeah I know.”

“Bleh, it’s gotta be kinda freaky for you isn’t it?”

He had to admit, it was weird to look out in the audience and see his picture on shirts, even after all this time he hadn’t gotten used to it. He never really understood why girls wrote his name on their faces and put his picture up on their walls. Then again he was a fan of music and of people and part of him could relate to showing love or support for a group or person. It was just weird when he was that person and part of that group.

“It’s weird, but cool at the same time ya know. It’s flattering that you wanna buy our merchandise.”

Veronica looked up at him, a smile on her lips as she leaned up, kissing his cheek gently.

“If you’re lucky, I may even buy myself a Nick Carter keychain, what do ya think of that?”

He grinned, “Maybe if you’re lucky, you can get his autograph.”

Her eyes widen, as if she the thought hadn’t occurred to her until that moment, “Hey you’re right! You think he would sign the keychain?”

Nick shrugged, “Maybe, I hear he can be a real jerk when it comes to signing stuff.”

She frowned, “Yeah you’re right, I heard that too.”

He blinked, she had? He looked down at her to see that she was smiling.

“Gotcha!”