- Text Size +
Chapter 120

Nick slipped the glove on before turning to look into the mirror, ruffling his hair up a bit. He was more nervous than usual about the concert that evening; he knew it was because Veronica would be there. He just wanted everything to go ok; he wanted reassurance that it would be a smooth night, no mishaps. Of course there was no way he would be able to get that reassurance, it’d be just his luck that that he forget a verse or his voice would end up cracking.

Groaning, he sat on the bench to pull his shoes on when Kevin along with Brian, made their way inside, grabbing some stuff off the shelves.

“You ok Nick? You look kinda peeky man,” Brian grinned.

“Yeah I’m cool.”

“You sure?”

“Uh huh, pre concert jitters, you know how it goes.”

“Yeah I do, but I haven’t seen you like this in a while. You sure that’s all it is?” He winked.

“Yes Brian, that’s all it is.”

Kevin smirked, “I think someone wants to impress a certain someone tonight.”

“I do not, it’s cool.”

“Ya know Nick it’s ok if that’s the case. I think it’s great that you’ve finally found someone that you want to be that for, that you want ya know…for this to be more than just a concert and something special. Especially when this is so important to this certain someone,” Brian finished.

Nick looked over at the two, “Ya know, we don’t have to speak in code ok? I feel like I’m in some James Bond movie n’ shit.”

Brian chuckled, sitting on the bench next to Nick.

“Hey Nick, I really like Veronica, I think she’s sweet, Kristin really liked her too, says she’s got class.”

Nick raised an eyebrow, “Yeah?”

“Mmmhmm, and there’s something I wanted to say…”

Nick groaned, “I knew it. Look, if you’ve come in here to warn me against her and that you still think that we can’t be friends then don’t ok? Cause I don’t want to hear it. We’re friends and…”

“I’m not,” Kevin interrupted. “What I was going to say is you’re a grown man, you can make your own decisions and you know what’s right. You should do whatever it is that you want.”

“Oh? What brought this change on?”

“No change, I just saw the two of you together and I just want you to be careful. Think hard before you do anything that could hurt Veronica or you for that matter. She’s different, and I know you know that because you treat her different that you did any of your other…well…girlfriends or girls who are friends. Just keep that in mind ok?” Kevin finished before turning and making is way out the room.

Nick watched him leave, more than a little confused.

“Nick, he’s not being mean, so don’t take what he said the wrong way. It’s just…I think he doesn’t want you to…inadvertently hurt Veronica,” Brian raised a hand when he saw that Nick was getting ready to defend himself. “I know Nick I know, that’s why I said inadvertently. It could happen and you don’t realize it. Anyone can see how special, how important she is to you, if she wasn’t, me and the rest of the fells wouldn’t have spent thirty minutes signing all that stuff for her.”

He smiled a bit.

“Everyone knows how you are when it comes to women Nick, you get bored easily. I know you’ve been hurt before and so you kind of blow things off. I also know you’ve been in an odd place lately with all this crap with your parents and all, but it looks like you’re doing better. All the guys really like Veronica, so just be careful with her ok? We all know that you’re used to a certain kind of woman, but she’s not that type. You better than anyone knows this.”

Nick sighed heavily, looking away. “Yeah, I know.”

“So don’t screw it up ok?”

Nick looked over at him for a moment before nodding.

Brian smiled, giving him a pat on the back before standing and leaving.

Nick rubbed at his eyes, it was becoming way more complicated than he would’ve liked. Still, everything that Brian and Kevin had said was true. He did get bored easily, and he did blow things off, he’d used a lot of women and had always ignored the guilt. He wanted this to be different, he didn’t want to use Veronica because she did mean a lot to him, more than any other woman ever had. What he wasn’t sure of, was if he could be friends with her and not screw it up. All he wanted was to do right by her.

All he wanted…was to keep her.