- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Ahh the long awaited chapter. I think this turned out to be a lot of fun! If anyone knows the proper name for the airport, can you please let me know so I can make the correction? Thanks and enjoy!
Chapter 138

One Week Later…

Orlando International Airport

She grabbed her suitcase and wheelie cart off the conveyor belt and set them down. She hiked her carryon higher up on her shoulder, picking up her suitcase in one hand and grabbing the handle of her wheelie cart in the other and started towards the entrance of the airport.

Veronica looked around nervously, the airport was huge, bigger than hers at home was and that one was nothing to sneeze at. She followed the signs over to the escalator and managed to get all of her luggage on the moving stairs that would lead her out of the building and hopefully to the man she was there to see.

Throughout the whole flight, she kept worrying about how things would turn out, if it really was a good idea that she was there. Granted it was too late to turn back, but the worry had started the moment she’d opened her eyes that morning. Nick had called several times to make sure everything was a go and to check in and make sure her flights were on time and to see if there had been any changes, even though he was the one who booked the flight. Veronica smiled as she remember the conversation they had towards the beginning of the year.

“So ok, we’re talking February twelfth through the ninetieth right?”

“Yup, that’s right.”

“Ok, your flight leaves at noon from Roc airport; you’ll catch a connecting flight at JFK and will arrive here at three forty five.”

“Alright sounds good.”

“Now these days work for you right? If they don’t let me know and I’ll look for something else.”

“No no Nick, that’s fine, really.”

“You’re sure? Just speak up if it’s not…”

“Nick…it’s fine. I’m still upset that you’re doing this,” Veronica sighed.

“Whatever woman, I’m buying ya the tickets and that’s it.”

“Thanks Nick.”

“You’re welcome Veronica.”


Everything had been a go though, and now here she was, in a strange airport amongst people she didn’t know in a different state and she had no idea where she was going.

Pulling her cart and luggage off the escalator, she looked up at the signs and made a left towards the front of the building, the hesitation growing. What if he forgot? What if something came up and he changed his mind? Swallowing hard, she walked through the crowds of people out into the open area, the entrance just ahead.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Nick tossed the magazine down, he shouldn’t have been looking at with sunglasses on anyway, and stood up again, checking his watch for the umpteenth time. Her flight should’ve been here by now. Walking over, he checked the prompter again to find that it hadn’t changed from the last time, her flight was on time and should be unloading. He started pacing yet again, his heart racing. He couldn’t wait to see her, granted it’d only been a few months, four to be exact, since the last time they saw each other.

Walking back over to the chairs, he sat again, his leg bobbing. He didn’t want to miss her and he didn’t want her to miss him though, he stood back up, pacing again. It was driving him crazy, he just wanted her there.

Turning he started towards the area where the passengers had to come to get to the entrance to wait.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Veronica made her way up the incline and stopped, looking around, growing a bit frantic. She didn’t see him anywhere, maybe he really had forgotten.

“Shit,” she sighed, managing to pull her cell phone out of her pocket and flipping open, trying to dial, when her eye caught something, or someone. She blinked, narrowing her eyes as a young man made his way towards the incline as far as he was allowed. He was wearing sunglasses and a look of worry. His gaze wandered around the area, suddenly stopping on her, slowly pulling his sunglasses off. Slowly she flipped her phone closed and started to make her way closer, it was him! Suddenly she couldn’t wait to be in his arms. She tried to move as fast as she could, but with all her bags, it made it nearly impossible.

Veronica looked up to see a broad smile slowly forming on his lips as he walked right up to the incline. With her last bit of energy, she made a lunge towards him and squealed softly when Nick pulled her into his arms and against his body tightly, hugging her hard. The force of the hug left her no choice but to drop the suitcase, her wheelie cart and carry on dropping to the floor with a soft thud.

“Nick…”

“I’m so glad you’re finally here,” he whispered, hugging her tightly.

Veronica smiled, wrapping her arms around him, hugging him hard, “Here I am!”

He inhaled deeply, nuzzling her hair gently, “God you look great, you even smell great.”

She chuckled softly, “Well thanks.”

Slowly he pulled away, he was literally beaming.

“Welcome! It’s so great to see you. C’mon, let’s get outta here and back to my place and get comfortable,” he announced, reaching down to grab her carry on, slinging it over his shoulder before grabbing her wheelie cart and suitcase.

“I can take something ya know,” she grinned as she followed him, reaching out for the suitcase.

“Nah it’s aight, I got it, you had to lug it up the incline. So, how was the flight? Was everything ok?”

“Yeah it was great, smooth sailing the whole way.”

“Did ya get peanuts?”

“Actually they’ve done away with peanuts and all that.”

Nick gasped, “No!”

“It’s true, they’re trying to cut costs,” Veronica explained as they made their way out of the airport and over to the parking lot.

“That sucks man, that’s the best part of the whole damn flight,” Nick frowned.

“Well I supposed you could always bring your own.”

“Yeah, but it’s just not the same,” he sighed.

Shaking her head, she just smiled. It was so great to be here, it was so great to be with him again. Veronica hadn’t realized just how much she missed him until she’d seen him standing there. Suddenly Lynne’s warnings and parting words were forgotten and all she could see, all she could think about was him.

“I’m just right over here,” Nick announced, heading over to a black Mercedes.

“Whoa, nice car,” Veronica whistled.

“Thanks, ya know the SUV’s are nice and all, but damn it’s not like I ever really needed it ya know? It was all for looks anyway, this is a lot nicer and makes more sense. Too bad it took me so damn long to figure it out,” he sighed, pressing the button on his keychain to pop the trunk.

Veronica watched in awe, he handled the luggage and everything like a pro; he didn’t seem to have any problems working with his hands full. Nick noticed her watching and grinned.

“Years of practice sweetie let me tell you.”

Walking to the trunk, Nick loaded her bags and everything inside and then unlocked the doors. Veronica started towards the passenger door, when she felt a hand on her shoulder and turned to see Nick behind her.

“Nick?”

“I’m just…” he shook his head, he seem to be searching for the right words. “I’m just glad you’re here is all, just…really glad.”

She could feel her face burning, “Well I’m glad to be here too Nick. I’m glad you asked me.”

He gave her a small smile and a kiss on her forehead before hurrying around to the other side of the car and slipping in. Veronica followed suit and then they were off.