- Text Size +
Chapter 141

Rolling over, she slowly opened her eyes, looking across the wide empty bed, sighing heavily. She’d slept surprisingly well, generally she didn’t have problems sleeping in other people’s beds, but there was always that small part of her that never really relaxed. Last night though, she’d slept peacefully and now woke up feeling refreshed and relaxed.

Slowly she sat up, yawning softly, slipping out of the bed and heading over to the dresser to get a change of clothes before heading into the bathroom. After showering quickly, she dressed and made her way downstairs, she’d noticed on her way down that Nick was up, his door was open, his bed still disheveled from sleep. Making her way down to the bottom of the stairs, she looked around, not seeing him anywhere.

“I’m in here, at the table.”

Turning, she made her way around the corner and saw Nick at the table, mug of coffee and paper in hand.

“Good morning.”

She smiled, “Morning.”

“I made coffee, but then I remembered you don’t drink it…but…I bought orange juice cause I know how much you like it. I can get you a glass.”

Smiling wider, she shook her head. “It’s ok, I can get it thanks, and thank you for thinking of me.”

He cocked his head to the side, studying her, “I’m always thinking of you.”

She blinked, smiling a bit before turning and heading into the kitchen.

“Did you sleep well?”

“Yes I did, like a baby actually, your bed is really comfortable,” she announced, managing to find the glasses, taking one down and filling it with juice.

Turning she stopped, Nick was staring at her, an odd expression on his face.

“Yeah? So…you had no problems sleeping? Didn’t have…ya know…problems?”

“Problems? What kind of problems would I have?

He shook his head, clearing his throat, “I dunno, I mean…yeah, what problems would you have?”

Veronica stared at him, “What bout you? Did you sleep well?

Nick smiled suddenly, as if he knew something she didn’t, “Better than I have in months.”

“Oh…”shaking her head in confusion, she sat down next to him.

“I bought you Golden Grahams if you’re hungry, granted, I know you don’t usually eat breakfast, but I bought some just in case.”

“Aww thank you Nick.”

He nodded, sipping at his coffee. Grabbing the entertainment section of the paper, he handed it to her.

Veronica took the paper, grinning, “Thanks.”

“No problem. So, what would you like to do today?”

“I dunno, I don’t really know what there is to do here to be honest.”

“Mmm, I was thinking maybe we could do some shopping. There’s a lot of great stores in the area that you may be interested in.”

“Sure, I wanted to look into buying a dress anyway.”

“Yeah? Were you able to bring one with you?”

“Yeah, but it’s not really dressy dressy ya know? The only real dressy thing I have is my senior ball gown and it’s a bit out of date.”

“That’s ok, there’s some really nice dress shops around that we can stop at.”

Veronica looked over at him, narrowing her eyes, “Just how dressy are we talking here Nick?”

Nick lowered his mug staring at her, “Formal, I mean…ya know pretty formal.”

“So you’re talking like…a ball gown type of thing?”

“Well maybe not like a huge like wedding dress type of thing, but more than semi casual, like…awards show formal.”

Her eyes widen, “What do you have in mind Nick?”

He smiled slowly, “Can’t tell ya.”

Veronica shifted, growing more nervous.

“Relax Veronica, I wouldn’t feed you to the dogs or anything and I will tell you now that we’re not going to an awards show or anything.”

She let out a breath.

“You’re gonna have to just wait and see.”

“Mmmhmm,” she sighed, finishing their juice.

They read the paper in silence and a few minutes later they both dressed and headed out.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

They made their way down the strip of stores, looking in the various windows.

“Here it is, this place has a lot of nice formal clothes and they’re not too expensive,” Nick announced as he held the door open for her.

Veronica walked in, looking around. There were racks and racks of dresses and suits.

“Go ahead, look around, see if you see anything you like.”

Nodding, Veronica made her way further into the store, looking at the various racks. A short time later, a lady came over and offered to help.

“Is there anything I can help you find?”

Veronica looked over at Nick and then at the woman, “Well I…I need a dress, something formal for…something.”

The lady frowned.

“Well it’s just I’m not sure what I need it for as my friend won’t tell me where we’re going.”

The lady chuckled, “No problem. Let’s take a look around and see what we can find. Do you have a certain style you like?

A short time later Veronica had managed to find a nice dress at a reasonable price, she purchased the dress and went around to find Nick looking at some suits.

“How’s it going?”

He turned to look at her, smiling he held up a garment bag, “I’m all set. I see you found something too.”

“Yeah I did, I’m really happy.”

Nick smiled, “Great. You ready to go?”

She nodded, “Yup.”

They made their way out the store and stopped at a few other places, Veronica purchased a few things here and there before heading back to Nick’s truck and taking off.

“I was thinking, I was going to go and visit some of my friends, I wanted you to meet them. What do you say?”

Veronica looked over at him, “You want me to meet your friends?”

Nick looked over at her quickly, “Sure, why not?”

She shrugged, “I dunno, but sure, that’d be fun.”

“You sure you don’t mind?”

“Not at all, I want to meet your friends.”

And she did.

Nick smiled again, “Great, let me call Brent and let him know we’re on our way. I told him I was going to try to stop by and bring you if possible.”

Veronica watched as he flipped his phone open, dialing. It really surprised her, Nick had mentioned her to his friends, had told them that he may be bringing her over. Shaking her head, she stared ahead, wondering what would happen next.