- Text Size +
Chapter 145

They made their way back inside, they’d spent the entire day out shopping again. They hadn’t really bought very much, and Veronica noticed that Nick seemed a bit anxious for some reason. Squatting down, she untied her shoes and pulled them off, setting them to the side. Slowly she stood to find Nick staring at her.

“Uhh Nick, everything ok?”

“Mmm, yeah. Can we talk for a minute?”

She blinked, her heart dropping. Was this going to be some kind of delayed retaliation from last night? She followed him over to the living room and sat on the couch next to him.

“Alright, so what did you want to talk about?”

Nick stared at her for a moment before looking down at his hands.

“I was thinking ya know, I’d like to…well first off I should say, was there anything particular you wanted to do tonight?”

She frowned, “Uh no, not really.”

He nodded, “Ok good, that’s good.”

“Nick, what’s going on?”

Clearing his throat, he looked up at her again.

“I was just wondering if you’d like to ya know…go out tonight.”

“Go out? Well of course Nick!” She chuckled. “Why do you look so uncomfortable?”

He shook his head, “No I mean like…ya know, I wanted to take you out. We could go to dinner and all…like…like a date.”

“A…date?”

“Shit, I’m so bad at this shit. I’ve always been bad but this is even worse,” Nick moaned.

“Nick…”

“I want to take you out to dinner, as in a date.”

She slumped back on the couch; Nick wanted to go out on a date. A date with Nick Carter. Looking over at him, she had to smile; he looked like he was preparing himself for the worst.

“Relax Nick.”

“I am relaxed, I’m fine.”

Veronica chuckled, “Well sure. Dinner sounds nice and if ya wanna consider it a date then…that’s ok too.”

“So…ok, so then…dinner tonight, it’s a date.”

She nodded, “A date.”

“Alright, we’ll need to leave by about seven thirty, the reservations are for eight.”

“Wait, you have reservations? You mean you had this planned?”

He blushed, “Mmm…yeah.”

“You planned to ask me out on a date?” Veronica blinked.

“I…well I…yeah, yeah I guess.”

She let out a breath, it wasn’t something that he’d just decided, he’d actually planned this, made reservations at a restaurant.

“Why don’t you wear that dress you bought that time ok?”

Veronica looked up at him again, “That’s why you wanted me to bring one, you…you’d planned to…to ask me out.”

Nick tried to stop the smile that was forming, she looked stunned. Initially he’d wanted her to bring a formal dress for something that went along with dinner, but the whole date thing fit right in. He’d finally decided to take everyone’s advice and try asking her out. It was all he’d thought about that day and he knew that he seemed a bit distracted around her, but couldn’t help it. Still he wasn’t sure why the idea of him asking her out on a date seemed so unbelievable to her though.

“Yeah, you should start getting ready though. We don’t have a lot of time left and I know that it takes women forever to get ready for some reason,” Nick smirked.

“Whatever, I know men who can be just as bad as women, take my brother Bryan for example.”

“Sure, whatever.”

“It’s true and you know it, Howie is another example according to all of you.”

Nick started to say something then stopped, clearing his throat. “True. Ok, I’ve got a few things I need to pick up, but I’ll be back in a bit to get ready.”

“Uhh, ok.”

Nick leaned in, kissing her gently before standing and making his way out. Veronica slowly stood, making her way upstairs to her room. She couldn’t believe it; she was going on a date with Nick. It just didn’t seem right, it seemed surreal.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A short time later, Nick made his way back. Hurrying up the stairs, he headed into his bedroom, he could hear the shower in Veronica’s room running and he let out a breath of relief. Walking over to his closet, he grabbed the clothes he was planning on wearing and laid them out before heading into the bathroom to take his shower.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Veronica slipped the dress on and then quickly put her jewelry on. She was growing more and more nervous, looking at the dress, she fought a wave of nausea. When she tried it on at the store without knowing what it was for, it didn’t seem so daunting. Now when she looked at it, she felt as if everything was riding on how she looked now.

Sighing, she grabbed her flat iron and went to work on straightening her hair.

“Veronica? Look, I’ll be right back ok? I have to go somewhere.” Nick called from the other side of the door.

Veronica set the iron down and went to open the door, when suddenly she heard the front door slam. She hoped he’d be back in time, it was almost seven thirty. She quickly finished her hair, turning the flat iron off and unplugging it from the wall; she’d just finished spraying on some body splash, when the doorbell rang.

Hurrying out of her room and making her way down the stairs carefully in her heels, she called out for Nick to see if he’d come back. Walking around quickly, she couldn’t find him anywhere. The doorbell rang again. Reluctantly she made her way over to the door, swinging the door open, her eyes widening.

It was Nick.

He was standing there dressed in grey slacks, a red pinstriped dress shirt and a maroon blazer and smelled wonderful. In one hand, two long stemmed red roses and a heart shaped box of chocolates in the other.

“Nick? What are you doing?”

“Happy Valentines Day!” Nick smiled.

Her eyes widened again, Valentines Day? It was Valentines Day? She’d completely forgotten, she’d gotten there on the twelfth and the thought never occurred to her that she’d be there for Valentines Day. That’s why he’d asked her if she had anything special she’d wanted to do that night, he’d assumed she remembered.

“Last year we spent it apart ya know? I remember how depressed you were and yeah, I wished I coulda been with you so you wouldn’t have to spend it alone. I wanted to make up for it, call me selfish, but it was part of the reason I wanted you to come this week. I was hoping that night on the phone, that you wouldn’t change your mind or want to move it to a different week,” Nick explained.

Veronica swallowed hard, she wouldn’t cry, she would not. There was no way she was going to ruin the moment by having her mascara run and end up looking like a raccoon.

“So…here’s the deal, you can have the flowers and the candy if you answer one question.”

Clearing her throat, she looked up at him.

“That being what?”

“Will you be my Valentine?” He asked softly.

Veronica chuckled, wiping carefully at her eyes that had started to well despite all her trying.

“We can do the whole movie popcorn thing later like we kinda did that night on the computer, so don’t worry about that, you won’t be short changed or anything. That said though, I am gonna need an answer.”

Smiling, she nodded, “Of course I will Nick.”

“I hope that wasn’t just so you can get these flowers and candy, cause that would be really lame,” Nick winked, holding the flowers and box of candy out to her.

Struggling not to laugh, she took the flowers and chocolates, feeling her eyes starting to well again.

“Well we should be going if you’re ready,” Nick announced.

She nodded hurrying over and setting the chocolates and roses on the table before hurrying back up the stairs to get her purse and making her way back down.

“Ok, I’m ready.”

“You look really beautiful,” Nick said softly, staring at her intently.

She blushed, “Thank you.”

He nodded, offering her his arm and they made their way out the door.