- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
This is a fun chapter and I really love the song. While it may seem like it really doesn't have anything to do with them, it really does. If anyone has seen "The Wedding Date", that song was in that movie during the love scene between the two main characters on the boat. I LOVE this song!

Anyway, enjoy!
Chapter 146

Veronica took Nick’s hand as he helped her out of the car, she watched as Nick handed the keys to the valet and offered her his arm again. To say the place was ritzy would be an understatement. She quickly made her way in as Nick held the door open for her, her mouth dropping. It was the kind of place you saw in movies or on TV. A large crystal chandelier hung in the center of the room, waiters and waitresses breezed by, trays containing several plates and glasses balancing on their hands.

They stopped by the booth and Nick gave his name as the host led them to their table. Nick held out the chair for Veronica and they both sat. She looked around at the elaborately dressed couples and felt slightly out of place. Clearing her throat, she ran her hands down her dress nervously and then through her hair.

“Hey…relax.”

Veronica looked over at Nick who was smiling at her.

“I’m relaxed, I’m fine.”

Nick raised an eyebrow.

“I am.”

Chuckling, he shook his head, “If you say so. What do you think of the restaurant?”

“It’s beautiful, I mean…wow. I’ve seen places like this in movies and stuff ya know? I never really thought they actually existed,” she announced, frowning suddenly.

“What?”

“It’s just…there’s not gonna be all those different forks and stuff are there? Cause I’m really bad with that kinda thing. A friend of mine told me to just start from the outside and work your way in, but I mean, when you’re eating you’re not really looking at what you’re grabbing and here I am using a shrimp fork for my salad and it’s a mess.”

“Aww baby don’t worry about it, no one cares. Hell, I say grab what ever is closest and go to town.”

Grinning, she nodded, “Sounds good.”

“Don’t let all the fanciness and whatever throw you off, they’re just people, it’s just a ya know…a building.”

“Yeah sure.”

Nick watched her as she looked around the restaurant, she seemed entirely too self-conscious and it was going to make things very uncomfortable for her if she didn’t relax. Reaching out he took her hand, stilling her fingers that had been tapping nervously on the table.

“I’m sorry, was it too loud? I didn’t even realize I was doing it, sorry.”

“You look beautiful.”

She blinked, “Huh?”

“I said you look beautiful.”

“O-oh, wow well thank you, I mean…you do too…look handsome, that is.”

Smiling, Nick brought her hand to his lips, kissing it gently.

Sighing heavily, she slumped back in her chair, only to straighten up when the waiter made his way over.

“Good evening Mr. Carter, can I start you and your date off with drinks this evening?” he asked, looking from Nick to Veronica, smiling.

“A bottle of champagne please,” Nick announced, looking over at Veronica for approval.

“That’s fine…yeah, that’s fine.”

The waiter smiled before turning to get the champagne. Nick looked over at Veronica, an apologetic smile on his lips.

“I know you don’t like to drink and all, but I figured this was a special occasion, it being Valentines Day and our first date and all.”

“Aww that’s ok, no problem.”

“Great,” Nick replied softly.

Picking up the menus, Veronica scanned over the listings, her eyes widening. There wasn’t anything on there that was less than ten dollars, with the exception of appetizers and even those were extremely pricey. Slowly she lifted her gaze to Nick who was studying the menu intently. Looking back down at the menu, she tried to pick the cheapest thing, but it was hard. Half of the stuff she couldn’t pronounce and it had ingredients she’d never heard of. She’d hate to get something expensive and not like it.

Licking at her dry lips, she set the menu down for a second then picked it back up, looking it over again. The prices hadn’t changed.

“Veronica?”

She looked up.

“Everything ok?” He questioned, watching her closely.

She nodded quickly, burying her face back in the menu.

“Ok, see anything you like?”

Swallowing hard, she scanned the listings again, trying to find something that sounded appealing.

“Umm…”

“It’s a bit overwhelming isn’t it?”

“Just…a bit.”

“Just pick whatever sounds good, the food here is really good, there’s a good chance you’ll like it, and if not, just order something else.”

Veronica slowly lowered the menu to stare at him, “Just order something else?”

“Yeah.”

“Nick…are you looking at these prices?”

“Yeah, so?”

“So…I couldn’t just order something else.”

“Sure you could.”

“No I really couldn’t.”

Smiling Nick nodded again, “Yes you could. It’s no big deal sweetie, seriously. You don’t know if you like something until you try it and if you don’t then you’re not gonna wanna eat it obviously.”

She shook her head, “I can’t do that.”

“You can and if the time comes, you will. So I’m thinking I’m gonna go for the steak with duck sauce and the delicate carrots and snow peas,” he grinned.

“Sounds good.”

“How bout you?”

“Ummm…I think…I’ll just do the…side salad.”

Nick frowned, “Veronica, baby that’s an appetizer.”

“It’ll be enough.”

Nick stared at her.

“Oooor, I could go for this…chicken thing,” she sighed, looking at the menu and then at him, smiling.

“Enjoy yourself Veronica. I don’t care what you eat or anything, get what you want ok?”

She nodded and when the waiter came with the champagne, Nick ordered the steak and Veronica ordered the chicken. Veronica scanned the room with her eyes, her gaze stopping on a woman who was staring at her and Nick. She went to look away when the woman smiled suddenly before turning back to her date. Veronica blinked, looking over at Nick.

“So, did you really forget that today was Valentines Day?”

“Um yeah, it’s not something that I really look forward to each year ya know? I don’t usually have anyone to share it with, so it kinda passes by and that’s it.”

“That sucks.”

“Eh, ya kinda get used to it ya know? What about you? What do you do to celebrate each year?”

He shrugged, “It depends on if I have a girlfriend or not. If I do we’ll do whatever ya know, dinner or a movie or something like that.”

“Ok and if not?”

“If not…then well I kinda…hang out,” he blushed.

Veronica watched him knowingly, biting her lip to keep from smiling, “Well it is a day for lovers and all and if you’re not exactly lovers in the official sense, then it’s about…being intimate with someone and all.”

Nick blushed deeper.

Chuckling, Veronica took the cloth napkin and draped it over her lap as the waiter arrived with their food. They ate quietly, enjoying a comfortable silence. Veronica ended up loving what she’d ordered, Nick only smiled and winked. They finished eating and Nick refilled Veronica’s glass.

“Whew, I gotta stop, this stuff is addicting.”

“Well better you than me, I gotta drive.”

“Why Nick, are you trying to get me a little tipsy?”

Nick grinned suddenly, “Maybe”

“Uh huh, well I’ll have you know; I’ve never been drunk and don’t plan on it ever happening. So once this glass is done, I’m switching to good ol’ water.”

“Fair enough,” Nick smiled, raising his hands in surrender.

“It is good though, I have to admit.”

“Well I’m glad you enjoyed it, and the dinner.”

“Oh god yes, it was delicious.”

“See and you were gonna miss it for a side salad,” Nick tsked.

“I know, shame on me,” Veronica laughed.

“Would you like dessert?”

“Mmm, honestly I’m pretty full right now.”

“Aww, that’s no fun.”

“I’m sorry Nick, but I honestly can’t eat another bite.”

“Well maybe later tonight then?”

“Sure.”

Nick studied her for a moment before looking over her shoulder at the small dance floor. Bringing his gaze back to hers, she gave him a soft smile. Nick heard the soft strains of a song he knew, filling the room suddenly.

“Veronica, would you like to dance?”

She frowned, “Dance?”

“Yeah, ya know that thing that people do together. Would you like to, with me?”

“Uhh…”

“C’mon, you remember what happened the last time I asked you to dance and you turned me down,” Nick replied, a hint of warning in his voice.

She did, he made her dance anyway and she’d actually ended up enjoying herself.

“Yeah but that was ya know…fast dancing.”

“Ok, but this doesn’t require much moving at all, it’s slow dancing, we’ll be going around in a circle. C’moooon!”

Veronica chuckled softly, shaking her head.

“C’mon,” he stood, offering her hand.

Admitting defeat, she slipped her hand into his and let him lead her out to the dance floor. She tried to ignore the people watching them. Turning she faced him, stepping in closer as he slid his arm around her waist, and she brought her hand up, resting it on his shoulder. Slowly they started to move.

Watch the sunrise say your goodbyes, off we go. Some conversation no contemplation hit the road. Car overheats jump out of my seat, on the side of the highway, baby. Our road is long your hold is strong, please don't ever let go, oh no

Veronica inhaled deeply, breathing in the scent of his cologne and that scent that was entirely his. It was warm and familiar…comfortable. She’d waited months to be in his arms again, to be in the place where it was only them, where only he could make her feel like she was special, that she was beautiful.

Nick slid his hand down, pressing her body closer to his. Gently he brushed his lips against her forehead, sighing softly. It was perfect, everything. Having her there with him, in his arms, it was almost too much. He wished he could hold her the way he wanted, if they weren’t in public he would, consequences be damned.

I know I don't know you, but I want you so bad. Everyone has a secret oh, can they keep it? Oh no, they can't.

Leaning in, she rested her head on his shoulder, closing her eyes. It was so easy to forget, to pretend they were the only ones there. She forgot, forgot they weren’t alone and brought her hand down, wrapping her arm around him. She felt Nick tighten his hold on her, letting go of her hand and wrapping his other arm around her, pressing her as close to him as he could.

Swallowing hard, Nick fought against his body’s reactions to having her so close, he hoped she couldn’t tell. He tried to shift, but it only caused her body to rub against his intimately and he barely contained a groan.

I'm driving fast now don't think I know how to go slow. Where you at now I feel around…there you are. Cool these engines calm these jets I ask you how hot can it get? And as you wipe off beads of sweat slowly you say…I'm not there yet.

It was Valentine’s Day and the only person he wanted to be intimate with was her. He wanted to tell her so bad, but he didn’t know how and after last night, he wasn’t sure he should ever say anything. Slowly he ran his hands over her body, fisting up the soft material of her dress in his hands. God he wanted her so bad, he just wanted her.

Veronica looked up at Nick, his jaw clenched and she could feel the tension in his body. Carefully she ran her hands over his back, trying to relax him a bit. Nick slowly brought his eyes to hers, a hint of a smile on his lips. She felt him relax suddenly and smiled, her smile quickly fading as his stare become heated and intense. Unconsciously she licked her lips and saw his eyes dart to her mouth, watching intently. Carefully he brought his gaze back to hers and she slowly let out a breath.

After a moment, Nick seemed to realize that people were leaving the dance floor and he carefully released her. They stared at each other for a moment before quickly making their way back to their table.

I know I don't know you but I want you so bad. Everyone has a secret oh, can they keep it? Oh no, they can't.

"Secret" - by Maroon 5