- Text Size +
Chapter 150

Stretching, he yawned softly and slowly opened his eyes, rubbing at them with his hands. He hadn’t slept that well in a long time. Looking down, he saw the face buried in his neck and smiled in relief. He’d figured when he woke up, he’d be alone in the bed, luckily he’d been wrong. Wrapping his arms around the sleeping figure, he pulled her closer to his body, giving her a gentle squeeze, burying his face in her hair, inhaling deeply.

Everything had changed for him, after his realization last night; he knew things would never be the same. He couldn’t treat her like he used to, as just a friend because he knew now that she was more than a friend to him, or at least he wanted her to be. The next issue was to figure out how to tell her that.

Slipping carefully out of the bed, he pulled the covers tight around her before slipping away to wash his face and get dressed. A few minutes later, he made his way downstairs, pouring himself a cup of coffee. After retrieving the paper he sat to the table, but found he couldn’t focus, couldn’t stop smiling. He couldn’t remember the last time he’d felt so happy, so content. Pushing the paper aside, Nick finished the coffee, washing the mug out before grabbing a glass and filling it with orange juice and heading upstairs.

He quietly made his way inside and over to the bed, trying to sit carefully. After setting the glass on the nightstand, he leaned in, kissing her cheek gently, then her eyes before kissing her lips lightly.

“Veeeroooonnnnicaaaaaa…” he whispered.

“Mmm”

“Wakeup babygirl.”

“Mmm…Nick.”

“It’s me! I brought you juuuuuice,” he grinned.

“Ahhh you know what I like,” she smiled sleepily, slowly opening her eyes.

“Of course I do. Morning,” Nick said softly.

“Morning, whew I was really out I guess,” she groaned, slowly starting to sit up.

Nick handed her the glass, “Yeah, me too. I had a really hard time getting up myself. Now, what would you like for breakfast?”

“Thanks, eh, I’m not that hungry really,” she replied, sipping at the juice, groaning in pleasure.

“Aww c’mon ya gotta have something. I can make toast and I did buy grits, but I don’t really know how to make them,” he frowned.

Veronica chuckled, “That’s ok Nick really, and the toast will be fine.”

“Alright cool, maybe sometime this week you can teach me how to make the grits.”

“Sure, if you’d like,” she smiled.

“Great! Alright, I’ll be right back,” he announced, leaning in to give her a quick peck on the lips before bounding out the door.

Veronica stared at his retreating form, slightly stunned. He was in an awfully good mood this morning, not that she could blame him. She felt her face burning as she thought of last night once again. While she most definitely enjoyed it, she couldn’t help feeling a bit stunned still. The whole thing, their friendship really didn’t seem to make sense, and yet it worked. Looking down at the glass in her hands, she sighed. Everything had been perfect, just right. He’d done and said all the right things to make her feel special. She’d never forget the night, and she’d cherish it always.

Nick made his way back in a heaping plate in hand. Making his way over, he sat on the bed and sat the plate between them.

“Wow, got enough toast there Nick? That looks like a half a loaf at least.”

“It is.”

She looked up at him.

“What? I’ll have you know I’ve been told a I make a pretty mean piece of toast, my butter to non-butter area ratio is very special. Who knows, after one or two slices you may want more.”

“Nick.”

“It’s been known to happen.”

Rolling her eyes, she swiped a slice and took a bite, munching away.

“So…how is it?” Nick inquired, biting into his slice.

She licked her lips, “Very good.”

“See I told ya, no one can resist toast ala Nick,” he winked.

“Apparently,” she chuckled, finishing the slice and grabbed another.

“So I was thinking, we should go to Disneyworld today.”

“Ooo really?”

“Yeah, I think it’d be fun.”

“Well I’m all for it.”

“Alright, we’ll finish up breakfast and get ready to go.”

“Cool.”

Just then phone rang.

“The answering machine will get it,” Nick announced.

The beep came and suddenly the room was filled with a female voice, Veronica‘s hand stilled, the piece of toast halfway to her mouth.

“Nicky? It’s Marlana! I heard you were back from your tour and wanted to know if you wanted to hang out. Unfortunately we missed Valentines Day and you know we almost always spend it together. It’s ok, we can get together later and celebrate and make up for it, ya know, have some fun.”

Veronica blinked as the girl giggled, a slow smile forming on her lips. She brought her gaze to Nick who was staring at the answering machine as if it were diseased and barely stifled a laugh. She shoved the remaining piece of toast her mouth, and tried desperately to chew without choking.

“Anyway, call me ok? If I’m not at home, call my cell, I’ll have it on. We can meet somewhere for lunch and ya know, head back to your place or mine and start the celebration. I’ll be waiting to hear from you, byeeee!”

There was a click and then the room fell silent, the light flashing on the machine to advise of the waiting message. Nick cleared his throat and pressed the button, the message started to play and he quickly pressed the button to erase it.

“Sorry bout that,” he muttered.

Biting her lip for a moment, Veronica cleared her throat before answering.

“N-no problem Nick. If you ya know wanna go and ha-hang out with her, you can,” she smirked before bursting into giggles.

Nick turned to look at her, blinking, “Wait, you wouldn’t mind if I did?”

Veronica smiled, “Of course not.”

He felt his heart drop and an unfamiliar ache started to form. Slowly he looked away, trying to stop how much her words had hurt.

Brushing her hands off, Veronica slipped out of the bed, grabbing her robe.

“Well I’m gonna go get ready, hop in the shower. So I’ll meet you downstairs in a bit ok?”

He nodded, still not looking at her.

“Nick? You ok?”

Slowly he brought his gaze to hers, “Yeah, fine.”

She stared at him for a moment before smiling softly, “Thanks for breakfast Carter.” She gave him a wink before walking out of his room and into hers.

She didn’t care; she actually didn’t care if he went to hang out with that girl. How could she not care? She was there to visit him and hang out and she wouldn’t care? Nick was surprised at how hurt he was by that, that she didn’t care

Looking down at the piece of toast in his hand, he tossed it into the garbage. Suddenly he wasn’t so hungry anymore.