- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Wahoo I got two chapters written today so you get two updates! Enjoy!
Chapter 151

Nick made his way downstairs to find Veronica in the living room, flipping through a magazine. Frowning a bit, her earlier words still haunted him. He couldn’t believe that she didn’t care if he went and hooked up with some random chick, he just couldn’t believe it. How could she think he’d even think about it, especially after last night? He didn’t want to go be with another girl, he wanted to be with her.

Sighing, he made his way over to her.

“Hey,” he said softly.

She turned, smiling, “Hey you.”

“Are ya ready? It’s better to get there as early as possible for parking and stuff.”

“I’m all set; I’m so excited about this. I haven’t been to Disneyworld in years!”

Nick smiled, “Let’s go then.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“So who’s your favorite princess? I find most girls have one,” Nick stated as they drove to the park.

“Honestly? Cinderella is my favorite fairy tale. I’ve really gotten into Disney over the last year or two. I dunno, there’s something about a woman who really has nothing ya know, who gets the hot, popular guy.”

Nick glanced at her quickly, “Oh yeah?”

“Sure, it kinda gives me hope that maybe one day I’ll get my prince charming. That guy that’s always unattainable for me. It sounds silly and all but hey,” she shrugged.

He frowned, “It doesn’t sound silly at all.”

She shrugged again.

“Remind me again, who exactly is this unattainable guy that you speak of?”

Rolling her eyes playfully, “You know the cute guys that all the girls like. The guy who only dates the popular pretty confident and hot girls. He’s either really nice and flirts with all the girls but I mean is truly and genuinely nice, or he’s a complete ass. Really pompous and knows that girls like him.”

“Wow well damn, if you still feel that way about me, you could never date anyone like me, whatever that means,” he said jokingly

“Absolutely right. I mean, don’t take that the wrong way. I’m just saying that well, you’re famous Nick; you’re not the typical guy. No average or regular girl really catches the eye of a famous person, and on those rare occasions that they do, you never hear about it because it’s not exciting. Most of the time, celebrities don’t want people to know anyway. I get you go more for other artists or entertainers because they know what it’s like, understand how everything works.”

He started to respond and then stopped; he couldn’t deny that last part because he’d done it, several times actually. He knew a lot of people felt that way.

“Ok, so what about Jared then? What was he?”

“Jared was an anomaly.”

Nick gave her a bland look quickly.

“I got lucky, damn lucky pure and simple. Jared was…well he was great. Smart, very very attractive and a nice guy. I don’t know how it happened, but yeah I was lucky, just like I was lucky in talking to and meeting you. I’m lucky that we became friends, that you wanted to be friends.”

He shook his head in confusion, “I just don’t get why me being friends with you or…ya know even maybe liking you, is so weird.”

“Sure ya do Nick, think about it, really think about it. I know you want to make it seem like it’s the most natural thing in the world, but it’s not, and you know it. Let your mind go there and you’ll see. Anyone could look at me, at you and say no way, absolutely not, and they’d be right. By society standards, we don’t fit. I’m an average looking girl Nick, nothing special about me. I’m from an unknown city in New York, I’m not petite or thin. You’re a super famous singer, you’re extremely handsome and you live in this…whole other reality. I can’t relate to you because again, our situations are completely different, or rather I should say under normal circumstances they are. But we connected on things, the divorce and all, that’s what brought us together. Be honest Nick, if you knew nothing about me, if your parents were divorced, would you give me a second glance?”

He didn’t know what to say, aside from being angry, he was again hurt, hurt because he knew she spoke the truth.

“Don’t let it confuse you Nick, you don’t owe me anything, and I’m well aware of how lucky I am. I’m also aware of how special you are and well, I’m just enjoying all of this for however long it’s going to last. I have no illusions of anything more, I don’t expect anything more.”

Pulling to a stop at a light, Nick looked over at her and for the first time really looked at her and realized that she didn’t expect more. She truly did not expect anything else to come from this, from their friendship…from him. She’d said it before, that one morning at her apartment after the first time they’d made love, she’d told him then, but he wasn’t listening. Now she was saying it again, wanting him to understand that she knew, that she thought it was going to end.

And just like AJ and Kevin said, if he didn’t act fast, he could…would, lose her.

The rest of the drive was spent in silence.