- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Ahh I have a feeling a lot of people are gonna be angry at me over this chapter and I'm prepared for it. Then again, you have to see it from her perspective as well. In any case, I hope you enjoy!
Chapter 155

Veronica quickly made her way through the door and looked around room. She’d never been in a studio before, and she didn’t know what she’d been expecting. There were tons of people filtering around and cords and cameramen hurrying in all different directions.

“We all usually hang out in the green room until it’s our turn to come on; I just need to find…ahh there’s Jacob. Jacob, over here man!” Nick called out, hurrying over to the man.

Veronica stayed where she was, not wanting to get in the way, but also not sure of what to do.

“V, baby c’mere, I want you to meet Jacob,” Nick called, waving her over.

Turning she made her way over, a hesitant smile on her lips.

“Jacob, this is Veronica, Veronica Jacob, our publicist. Veronica’s a friend who’s staying with me for a few days,” Nick smiled at Jacob before looking at Veronica.

“Nice to meet you Veronica, told me that he had a friend staying with him. I’m sorry this came up while you were here, unfortunately it couldn’t be rescheduled,” Jacob apologized as he shook her hand.

She shrugged, “It’s no problem, things come up. It’s cool, I’ve never been in a studio before, so it’s kinda exciting.”

Jacob smiled, “Alright Nick, Howie and Kevin are already here and the green room is just down the hall there, first door on the right.”

“Thanks man,” Nick announced, taking Veronica’s hand and starting to lead her away.

“Nice to meet you Jacob!”

They made their way into the green room and were greeted by Kevin and Howie.

“Hey Veronica, long time no see,” Kevin smiled, walking over to give her a hug.

“Hey Kevin, Howie! It’s great to see you both, how are you?”

“Pretty good, sorry about all this, things like come up and a lot of the time we have no choice,” Kevin frowned.

“No problem really, it’s fine,” Veronica smiled, as she hugged Howie.

“Where’s Kristen?” Nick inquired, walking over and grabbing a bottle of water off of the table.

“She didn’t want to come, she’s not feeling too good, been sick lately, but she told me to tell you hi Veronica.” Kevin announced.

“You sure that’s all?” Nick smirked.

Kevin rolled his eyes, “Yes I’m sure, she‘s getting over a cold.”

“That sucks, tell her I said I hope she feels better soon,” Veronica smiled.

“So Veronica, how’s Nick been treating you? Can’t be too bad since you’re still here,” Howie grinned.

“Shut up Howie,” Nick mumbled.

Chuckling she shook her head, “He’s been great actually. We went to Disney yesterday and he took me out for dinner on Valentines Day and it’s just been really relaxing and fun.”

“Well Nick, I’m impressed,” Kevin said, patting Nick on the shoulder.

“Why?”

“Well it’s just…you’re not that good at planning activities man, everyone knows it,” Howie answered.

Nick frowned, looking over at Veronica. “See how they treat me?”

“Aww poor baby,” Veronica moaned, reaching out to pat his cheek.

“Hey, whose side are you on anyway?”

“I’m a neutral party,” Veronica defended, holding her hands up in surrender.

“Uh huh. Well I’ll have you both know, I’ve planned lots of activities and stuff for us and we’ve already done a lot of stuff and…yeah,” Nick finishing, crossing his arms over his chest.

“Keep trying to make it good Nick,” Howie patronized him, before looking over Nick’s shoulder as Brian and AJ made their way into the room. “Hey AJ, Brian.”

Veronica turned to see the last two guys of the group make their way inside.

“Veronica!” AJ cried, making his way over to her and pulling her into his arms. “How’ve you been sweetie?”

She smiled, giving him a tight squeeze, part of her still not believing it was happening. “I’ve been pretty good AJ, nice to see you again, how about you?”

“Good, I’ve been good. Nick told us you were coming, but it seems he’s been keeping you all to himself haven’t you Nick?” AJ grinned, looking over at Nick.

Nick glared at him.

“Hey Veronica, how’s it going?” Brian asked, giving her a gentle squeeze.

“Pretty good, nice to see you.”

“Same to you, Leighanne told me to tell you hi, says she’s sorry she couldn’t come, but we couldn’t find a babysitter on such short notice. She says she wants Nick to bring you by sometime so you guys can catch up and everything.”

“Ya hear that Nick? You’re gonna have to bite the bullet and actually SHARE Veronica with people ok? Think you can handle that?” AJ taunted.

Nick gave him the finger.

“Ooooo! Touchy, touchy.” AJ smirked.

“Ok you two knock it off,” Kevin sighed.

Veronica bit her lip to keep from laughing.

“Guys, we’re almost ready for you, I need you all to head to make up,” one of the stagehands announced, poking his head into the room.

“We shouldn’t be too long and I’ll come back and get you once we’re done,” Nick announced.

“Alrighty,” Veronica nodded, heading over to one of the couches and sitting.

She watched as they left and looked around the room, grabbing a magazine and started leafing through it. A short time later, Nick poked his head into the room.

“V? C’mon, we’re getting ready to head out, you can watch from offstage,” he smiled.

Veronica tossed the magazine down and hurried over, taking Nick’s offered hand and followed him out and over to the rest of the guys.

“It won’t be long, usually about ten or fifteen minutes at the most, since we’re not performing and all.”

She nodded and watched as a few moments later they were called out on stage.

The interview went smoothly and the host was just about to wrap things up.

“So, we know of course that Brian and Kevin are happily married, but what about the rest of you guys? Howie, AJ and Nick. Are any of you seeing anyone?” The woman asked.

“I’m currently single; I’m just trying to work on my sobriety and just trying to get clear ya know? I’m not ya know…not necessarily looking, but then again if someone happens to come along, ya never know,” AJ announced.

“Ok, how about you Howie?”

“Not really, I’m dating a bit here and there, but there’s no one steady.”

“Nick?”

The other guys all looked at him, and Veronica watched intently from offstage.

“Well, actually I kinda am. We’re taking it slow ya know? Nothing is really official at this time, hopefully it will work out in both of our favors,” Nick smiled.

Brian grinned, but the other guys stared at Nick, clearly stunned.

Veronica turned and started making her way towards the exit. She didn’t know what she’d been expecting him to say, but it most certainly hadn’t been that. After everything that’d happened, everything they’d done, there’d been someone else. It was her own fault, it’d been what she’d thought would happen, but why would he be so great? Why would he say all the things he had if there was someone else he was interested in?

“Veronica…Veronica wait up!”

She stopped and slowly turned to see Nick making his way over, smiling warmly at her.

“What’d ya think?”

She looked over at the rest of the guys who were watching her sadly.

Nodding, she looked away, swallowing against the lump that had started to form in her throat. “It was really great, nice.”

Nick blinked, “Hey…you alright?”

Brian looked over at Nick, giving him a slight shove. Nick looked over at Brian questionably. Brian gestured with his eyes at Veronica and mouthed for him to “tell her”. Nick frowned in confusion.

“Hey…I’m just gonna go wait out in the car. It was nice to see you all again, hopefully I’ll see you all before I leave in a few days, bye.”

Nick looked back over to see Veronica making her way out of the building.

“What was that about?” Nick frowned and then cried out in anger when AJ smacked him in the back of the head. “Ow! What the fuck AJ?!”

“Nick you’re such a fuckin’ prick man! How could you do that to her?” AJ yelled.

“Huh?”

“I know you can be a real jerk sometimes Nick, but that was low, even for you,” Kevin frowned.

Howie just shook his head.

“I don’t know what the hell you’re all talking about, but AJ, man you’d better run before I kick your ass!”

“Hold it! Everyone stop! It’s not what you think ok? He was talking about Veronica. ” Brian announced suddenly.

Everyone stopped to look at him.

“It’s Veronica Nick’s talking about, seriously,” Brian said again.

“Wait, I’m confused,” AJ frowned.

“Big surprise,” Nick groaned, rolling his eyes.

“Nick, shut up,” Kevin said quickly, glaring at AJ who was starting to lunge at Nick. “What are you talking about Brian?”

“It’s Veronica; Nick’s just too much of a chicken to tell her. She’s the one he meant, he called me last night to tell me he’d fallen in love with her,” Brian explained.

Kevin looked over at Nick, “Is this true?”

“Well yeah, but I don’t know why she’s so upset over what I said.”
“Because she thinks you meant someone else because you have told her yet you moron, geeze man,” Howie groaned.

“Will everyone stop picking on me? Shit, I just only realized it myself and I’m trying to come to terms with it before I tell her,” Nick stated.

“Yeah but now that you’ve gone and done this, you have to come to terms with it now before she leaves. You can’t afford to wait,” Brian sighed. “This changes everything.”

“Alright idea. I’m gonna have a cookout tomorrow and you can tell her then,” AJ announced proudly.

“Uh AJ, that’s kinda something that you do in private ya know,” Kevin groaned.

“It doesn’t have to be, besides, I need an excuse to throw a cookout and this is what I’m using and you’re gonna like it whether you want to your not,” AJ finished.

“Whatever, I’m outta here,” Nick muttered, starting for the door.

“Ok my place tomorrow at around two, be there!” AJ hollered.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Nick made his way over to the car and got in. “Hey, thanks for coming with me today.”

“Not a problem, I enjoyed myself.”

He watched her as she stared out the window; her body slumped against the seat dejectedly. Sighing heavily he turned towards her.

“AJ wants us to go to his house tomorrow, he’s having a cookout.”

“Great, sounds like fun.”

Reaching out, he took her hand in his. “Hey…look at me.”

She hesitated a moment before turning her head and brought her gaze to his, sadness in her eyes.

“You…ok?”

He knew she wasn’t, but he had to ask.

She nodded, “Yeah, I’m fine. Just tired I guess.”

“Veronica I…”

“I’m fine Nick, really.”

He looked away for a moment before turning back around in his seat.

“Did you want to go to McDonalds for lunch?”

“Yeah, I’m pretty hungry.”

He nodded before pulling out of the parking lot and taking off.