- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Sorry all, short chapter!
Chapter 156

Nick watched her eat, she wouldn’t look at him, but focused hard on the small cup of ketchup she was dunking her fries in. Frowning, he slumped back in his seat, he hated to see her so sad. She had it all wrong, but he just wasn’t ready to say anything yet, he wasn’t comfortable and if he wasn’t, there was no way he’d be able to make her comfortable.

Rubbing at his forehead, he leaned forward and rested his elbows on the table.

“So…what’d you think of being in the studio?” Nick asked.

“It was cool, just really busy. I didn’t know it was like that, I guess we kind of take it for granted.”

“Yeah, ya never realize what it’s like until you actually see it.”

She nodded and took a bite of her cheeseburger, chewing slowly.

God he wanted to hold her so badly and tell her that it was her he was talking about. That it was her that he wanted to be in a relationship with.

He cleared his throat, “Did you watch the whole interview?”

She nodded suddenly, “Yeah, it was nice.”

He blinked, nice? Just nice? Wasn’t she going to say anything?

Veronica picked up her drink and took a sip before taking another bite of her burger.

Apparently not.

Nick took a sip of his pop and looked off thoughtfully. If she was getting so upset over it, wouldn’t that mean that she actually more than cared? And if she wanted to just be friends with him, it wouldn’t bother her, so then why did it? Nick wished he could bring himself to say it, wished he could form the words and tell her not to worry.

She continued to eat, not really tasting it. Sitting there as if nothing had changed was hard, she couldn’t look at him, couldn’t be around him, it hurt too much. Veronica didn’t know at what point she’d actually started caring about his love life and the people he dated. She’d tried hard to distance herself to keep it from happening, but it had anyway.

While everything changed, it hadn’t. She still wanted to be around him even though it was hard. She wanted to look at him even though every time she did she felt like she was going to cry. Most of all, she wanted to be in his arms, she wanted him to look at her like he had the night they’d made love. Veronica wanted him to look at her as if…as if…

Swallowing hard, she shook her head. She couldn’t think like that, thinking like that got her to the point she was at now, and it hurt. Veronica had allowed herself to get too comfortable and now she was faced with the very real possibility that if this relationship he was trying to form, actually did, that she could quite possible be phased out. There was a good chance this girl wouldn’t like him calling and hanging out with some other girl, even if she did live in an entirely different state.

Crumpling up the cheeseburger wrapper, she stuffed it in the fry box and took another sip at her drink before chancing a look at Nick, to find him watching her closely.

“Is…everything ok?” She asked.

He nodded, “I was thinking, if you’re finished, we could go take a walk on the beach. There’s one right by my house. I thought we could go there and talk It’s private so there won’t be a lot of people around.”

Swallowing hard, she nodded again. She shouldn’t be around him alone, but she wanted to be. She wanted to spend as much time with him as she could before it was too late.