- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Ahh finally we get the answer from Veronica. What will it be? Hang in there everyone, almost finished!

 

Chapter 169

She pulled away and knelt down on the blanket, pulling him down with her, watching him closely. It was now or never at this point, she’d made up her mind.

She’d take the risk, she loved him that much.

Reaching out, she wrapped her arms around his neck, pulling him to her, kissing him deeply as she lay down on the blanket, pulling him with her. Sighing softly, she pulled away again and buried her face in his neck, hugging him tightly as he lay on her. She felt him sigh, his body relaxing against hers and she smiled.

Veronica took a calming breath, trying to figure out how to say what she was about to say.

Nick frowned; to say he was confused would be an understatement. He wasn’t exactly sure what’d just happened. He wanted to ask her, but he also didn’t want to pressure her either. Shifting so that not all of his weight rested on her, he buried his face in her neck, inhaling deeply then exhaling softly. Carefully he rested his head on her shoulder, a small smile on his lips. No one had ever felt this safe, so much like home to him before.

She stared up at the sky; she knew if her Dad were alive, he’d tell her to go for it. He’d always wanted her to date and he’d probably tell her in his own way that Nick no matter how great he was, would never be quite good enough for his best friend, as they’d always affectionately referred to each other. Closing her eyes, she worked up the courage to speak.

“I’m not sure what it is that you see in me, I still can’t understand why someone like you, would ever want someone like me. Let’s face it here Carter, I have a lot of…emotional baggage, a lot self esteem and physical issues I’m dealing with, trying to overcome. I guess…I just don’t want you to worry or feel like you’ve gotta take care of me. I don’t want you to think you have some kind of obligation to me.”

Nick shook his head, “But I do, I have an obligation to the woman I love, and I’m going to worry about you if you want me to or not. Stop avoiding the subject Veronica,” he started, lifting his head to look down at her. “Now is the time to take a chance, this is the moment that can change our lives.”

She looked up at him.

Nick stared into her eyes, “Do you love me Veronica?”

She smiled a bit, “Of course I do Nick.”

He continued to look into her eyes, “Are you…in love with me?”

She turned her head, looking away, she couldn’t help it. The words were right there, but she couldn’t seem to get them out, couldn’t look him in the eyes, knowing he’d see right through her.

Nick reached out, turning her head so she had no choice but to look back up at him.

“Veronica, at least give me the respect of looking me in the eye and telling me, at least give me that,” he said softly.

She stared up at him, she could feel her throat starting to close, her eyes starting to burn.

“Veronica…”

She swallowed hard, her eyes welling up.

“Veronica…” he whispered almost desperately, his voice breaking.

“Yes,” she blurted out, “I am, I’m in love with you ok?”

He stilled, watching as the tears streamed down her cheeks.

“Y-you can’t do this to me! You can’t tear me apart like this; make me feel all these things. I don’t want to, I don‘t want to feel like this. I don’t want to hurt, but I can’t stop loving you, can’t stop wanting you,” she whimpered.

He pulled away quickly, sitting back on his haunches.

“I didn’t think it’d ever happen, you weren’t supposed to ever fall for me,” she whispered.

Nick stared at her helplessly.

Veronica scrambled to sit up, wiping at her eyes, “We should go,” she said softly, starting to reach for the untouched basket, when suddenly Nick’s hand shot out, grabbing her arm and hauling her against him, hugging her tightly.

“It’s time for us to have what we both want, it’s time. Be mine,” he whispered shakily, “Veronica, say you’ll be mine.”

She knew she couldn’t fight it anymore, couldn’t fight him, and she slumped against him in sweet defeat.

“Ok,” she said softly.

Nick pulled away and stared at her, daring to hope, daring to believe.

“Yes?”

Veronica nodded, “Yes.”

He brought his hands up, cupping her face gently he leaned in, kissing her deeply, wrapping her in his arms and hugging her close.

“Mine,” he whispered.