- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
One more chapter to go. Enjoy!

 

Chapter 174

 

Nick leaned against the doorframe, watching as she continued to pack a few last minute things into her suitcase and felt his stomach start to roll again. He’d been like this since the moment they’d woken up, he’d consumed more Tums and Pepto-Bismol than he was sure was necessary and yet the nausea remained.

He kept telling himself that it’d be over soon and he’d go on with the rest of the day and he’d call her that evening to make sure she got home safely and everything would be fine.

It wasn’t working.

Nick straightened up as Veronica zipped the case shut and slid it off the bed and set it on the floor next to her before turning to look at him.

“Ok I’m all finished packing, we can leave whenever you’re ready.”

He just stared at her.

She sighed, “It’s time Nick.”

“I guess you’re anxious to get home huh?”

“C’mon you know I’m not, but we can’t drag this out any longer. We need to just get it over with.”

Nick made his way over to her, handing her a bag, “Here.”

“What’s this?” Veronica asked as she opened the bag.

“Just some things I picked up a couple days ago, I haven’t had the chance to give it to you before, with everything that happened.”

“Nick trust me, you’ve given me enough, awww! It’s the stuffed animals I saw at Busch Gardens.”

He smiled sadly.

“You’re spoiling me here Carter,” Veronica winked, leaning in to kiss his cheek gently. “ I love them, thank you. I’ll keep em in my carry on with me ok?”

“I don’t want you to go,” Nick said suddenly, staring at her.

Veronica pulled away and looked up at him, “I have to go Nick, I have to go back home.”

“No you don’t.”

She shook her head, “I don’t understand.”

“Stay, stay here with me. We can send to have your stuff packed and shipped down here.”

Veronica stared at him, clearly stunned.

“Stay with me Veronica,” Nick whispered, pleading with her with his eyes.

Reaching out, she took his hands in hers giving them a slight squeeze, sighing heavily.

“Nick…I can’t.”

“But...why?”

“It’s my home Nick, my family is there…my job, I can’t just leave.”

“But I want you with me,” he said so soft that wasn’t sure she’d heard him.

She let go of his hands and wrapped her arms around his waist, “I want to be with you too. But…now isn’t the time, I can’t do that right now Nick.”

He held her tight against him, sighing heavily before releasing her. He stared at her, watching as she grabbed her suitcase then her carry on, putting the bag of gifs he gave her inside and then took his hand, leading him out of the bedroom and down the stairs.

A few moments later, they made their way out the house.