- Text Size +
Chapter 20

A Few weeks later…

“So, you wrote him and he wrote you back?” Carla asked.

Carla was a co-worker and one of Veronica’s favorite people in her department.

“Yeah, well I dunno actually. How do I know it was him? It was probably someone at the office who just answered for him.”

“But didn’t you say that he left a PO Box?”

“Yeah.”

“Well, would someone do that? They wouldn’t give out any information without his ok or whatever right?”

Veronica nodded; she’d been over it in her head time and time again.

“So then, there is a possibility that it was from him.”

“I guess, but it’s pretty out there don’t you think?”

“Ya never know, stranger things have happened.”

“I can’t even believe I told you, I feel so stupid,” Veronica groaned.

“Why? I think it’s cool, and if he did write that letter, that’s even better. That doesn’t happen to many people,” Carla announced, as she continued to gather the ingredients to make Chicken French.

“Yeah, I know.”

“What exactly did he say? Did he flat out tell you he wanted you to write him back?”

“Basically. He said he’d like to hear from me again, gave me the address then asked that I not give it out to anyone.”

“Hmmm…”

“That was it, he thanked me again for writing and signed it.”

Carla grinned suddenly, “Does the signature match what you’ve seen?”

“I wouldn’t know that, I’ve never gotten his autograph.”

“You may not have it, doesn’t mean you’ve never seen it! Come on; don’t tell me you never read those magazines that have his signature on posters and articles and stuff. You know sure as shit you’ve studied his signature and all that.”

Veronica blushed, clearing her throat.

“Ha! I knew it!” Carla giggled.

Veronica shook her head, “Whatever.”

“Are you gonna write him back?”

“I dunno, I don’t think so. I’m gonna feel really stupid doing it.”

Carla pushed the cart out the kitchen behind the counter, starting out the department.

“Why?”

“Because that means I’m taking this seriously and I’m not, I refuse to.”

“You know, you’re gonna kick yourself if you don’t do it and it ends up being him for real.”

Again something she knew, something she’d thought about. There was always the “what ifs”, it was frustrating and exciting all at the same time.

“I know Carla, but still.”

“What’s the worse that could happen? He doesn’t write back again? Big deal, you’d be no worse off than you are now right?”

Veronica nodded.

“Ok, so there. I think you should do it.”

She sighed, how did she know that Carla would say that? Hell, she’d say the same thing if someone came up to her and told her this. Veronica looked over at Carla and sighed.

“Go for it V, seriously, I have a feeling you’ll be glad you did. At least this way, you can say you tried you know?” Carla finished, pushing the cart out.

Yeah, at least she’d have tried. Taking a deep breath, she made up her mind. She’d write him back tonight.