- Text Size +
Chapter 28


Pulling into the parking lot, Veronica found a space and parked, getting out and heading into the store. She had a ton of errands to do; she always seemed to spend her days off this way. Grabbing a cart, she made her way in immediately heading down one aisle, grabbing things and tossing them into the cart. About an hour later, she made her way to the checkouts, putting the stuff onto the conveyor belt. Looking around, she glanced at the magazines on the rack next to her, one of her biggest indulgences, she was an avid reader and she was always buying books or magazines. Grabbing the latest People,, she was flipping through it, when something caught her eye. Lowering the magazine, she blinked, there was Nick on the cover of Teen People. Looking around cautiously, she plucked the magazine and flipped through it quickly.

Nick wasn’t in magazines much anymore, since the rest of the group was on a break, he’d been doing his solo thing, but now that his first CD was out, and he was working on his second, he was starting to show up a little. The success of his first CD wasn’t at all what he or fans had been hoping for, well the fans that had been in support of it. Veronica had been extremely disappointed in the backlash fans gave when he’d gone solo, there was still a bit of animosity to this day and it was a year later. Unable to find the article on her own, she flipped back to the front, found the table of contents, the page number and flipped to the page, reading intently.

“Excuse me ma’am, are you gonna get that magazine?”

Veronica looked up quickly, blushing bright red.

“Oh! N-no, sorry!” She stuffed the magazine back on the rack and hurried forward, swiping her card. “Sorry about that.”

The cashier gave her a bored look, waiting for the card to process. Veronica groaned, rubbing at her head. She hadn’t had time to finish reading the article; it was just as well. What she did happen to catch, was that he was extremely busy working on his album and in talks with the guys about starting another group album as well. Which meant he didn’t have time to do much of anything else, including letter writing. The feeling of stupidity came fast and hard. She really was fooling herself.

Making her way to her car, she loaded the bags in and then took off. Her cell phone went off, and she reached into her purse blindly, grabbing it and flipping it open.

“Hello?”

“Wanna have lunch together?”

“Hi to you too.”

“Well do you?”

“Sure Lynne.”

“Great, so do you wanna just meet somewhere?”

“Why don’t I stop by and I’ll drive.”

“Sounds good.”

“See you in a bit.”
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
“So where do you want to go?” Veronica asked. They decided to just head over in one car, Veronica would drop her off afterwards.

“Well, no where fancy, I’m all about McDonalds today.”

“McDonalds it is, how’s work going so far?”

“Eh, same ole shit basically, boring and repetitive. I really need to get a new job, I’m starting to sound like you,” Lynn smirked.

“Ha ha,” Veronica moaned as she pulled into the parking lot and got out.

A few minutes later, they had ordered and sat to eat.

“I’m just not sure what else I’d do you know? I’m doing what I went to college for, but I’m just not enjoying it, I don’t know if I need a new environment or if it’s the job as a whole.”

“Well you did that internship and liked it right?”

“Yeah, I loved it actually,” Lynne responded, dunking a fry in ketchup.

“Then I think it’s not so much the job but as where you’re working. Maybe you need a change, a new challenge.”

Lynne shrugged, “It’s so much work to find work.”

Veronica rolled her eyes, trying to hide a smile as she sipped at her drink.

“So what’s going on? Heard anything else from your Nick?”

“No and he’s not my Nick. He just got back home from being overseas for promotion, if I do hear from him, it probably won’t be for a while, he’s gotta get settled and I think I read that he’s got all this promotional stuff to do here too, interviews and shit.”

“Are you excited?”

“Bout what?”

“About him writing you back! What else!?”

“Oh,” Veronica shrugged, “I guess, like I said before, I’m not getting my hopes up for this Lynne, it could stop at anytime.”

“Yeah, but enjoy it while you can.”

“I am, I’m trying. I’d enjoy it more if I just knew if it was the truth, if it was real.”

“Why don’t you just ask him then V?”

“Oh sure, I can see it now. Dear Nick, are you really yourself or not? Let me know!” Veronica groaned, shaking her head.

Lynne chuckled, “I’d tell you to ask him to tell you something only he’d know, but he probably wouldn’t because no one knows for a reason, or if you know what he ends up telling you, then it wouldn’t be something only he knew cause you’d know and that means other fans do too.”

Veronica frowned, “What?”

Lynne shook her head, “I dunno, I don’t think I said that right.”

They giggled, finishing up a short time later and headed back out to Veronica’s car and headed back to Lynne’s job.

“Thanks for lunch, I’ll call ya later in the week alright?”

“Sure, bye Lynne!” Veronica waved bye as Lynne made her way into the building. The rest of the way home, she thought of Nick and the letters leave it up to Lynne to remind her of something she was trying desperately to forget.