- Text Size +
Chapter 33


Seven Days Later…

Locking the door, she made her way in, kicking her shoes off. Veronica was so glad to be home, it’d been a long tiring day at work, now she wanted to relax eat a little dinner and then read before heading to bed.

Making her way in, she tossed the mail down on the table and headed into her room to change. She knew she should take a shower, but she was just too tired. Deciding to get up early in the morning and take one before work, she changed into some shorts and a sweatshirt and headed back out. Veronica had never been the type who was able to wear sweatpants or jeans in the house, even in the dead of winters, and it got cold in New York. Heading into the kitchen, she made a box of instant macaroni and cheese, took the pot and all over to the couch, setting it down on the fold out coffee table in front of her, flipped the TV on and started to eat.

Remembering the mail, she stood, grabbed the stack and brought it over, sifting through it as she continued to eat, looking up at the TV occasionally. Coming towards the end of the stack, she set the bill for the Internet to the side and grabbed the last envelope. Looking it over, there was no return address, but she recognized the scrawled handwriting immediately.

It was another letter from Nick.

Just like that, her appetite was gone. Pushing the pot away, she brought her legs up under her, just staring at the envelope.

The reaction was always the same. The sweaty palms and increased heartbeat, the question if this would be the last letter if he decided he didn’t want to do it anymore. Turning the envelope over, she quickly tore it open, turning the volume down on the TV; she pulled the paper out. Smiling a bit, she started to read.

Dear Veronica,

Hey, how are you? Sorry it’s taken me so long to write you back, been kinda busy doing stuff. Yeah, London was nice I always like going there to do whatever. So yeah.

Thanks for not saying anything about my address.

Why don’t you tell me a little about yourself? How old are you, do you have any Brothers or Sisters? Are you in school? Where do you work? What do your parents do? When’s your birthday? Where in New York do you live?

I guess that’s it for now, talk to you soon.

Nick


She smiled; folding the letter up and slipping it back in the envelope. He sure wanted to know a lot about her. Not that her life was all that exciting. Well she wasn’t going to hesitate like she normally did, she’d write him back now.

Slipping off the couch, she got a notepad and pen, sitting down to write. About an hour later, she finished up, reading it over one last time before putting it in the envelope and addressing it. Veronica hoped he didn’t think she was over anxious by getting a response so soon, but she just couldn’t wait. If she wanted to keep the communication going, she wanted him to think he was important to her and that she was excited to keep in contact with him.

After sticking a stamp in the corner, she headed out and put the letter in the outgoing mailbox.