- Text Size +
Author's Note: The email address at the bottom is NOT my actual address. You can try sending email to it, but it won't be me that answers. LOL! It's just an address I made up.

Chapter 35


A Few Days Later…

He’d blown off all his responsibilities to have this day at home and he didn’t intend to let it go to waste. He’d slept in till eleven, played some video games and put his answering machine on. His friends had been calling the last few days, but he was too lazy to call them back. Maybe he should now, not like he had anything else better to do.

Grabbing his phone, he went through everyone in the programmed address book, no one was home. Just his luck, they try to contact him and he wasn’t there, he tries to get them and they’re not there. Maybe he’d just go out for a drive, see if he could meet up with some friends somewhere. Standing, he made his way up to his bedroom, gathering some clothes up then heading into the bathroom and into the shower. An hour later he was dressed and out the door.

A Few Hours Later…

Nick made his way into his house, tossing his keys on the counter, heading into the kitchen and opening the fridge. It’d been nice to get out, he’d happened to run into quite a few of his friends and spent time catching up and visiting with them. Grabbing a bottle of water, he uncapped it and took a long swig. He was glad he’d gotten that out the way, it sucked, but part of him felt like he had to do it to keep those lines of communication open. Lord knew he hadn’t been the best friend in the last ten years, always gone, never returning calls. Most of the time he just didn’t want to be bothered. When he was home he wanted to relax, be alone.

Shutting the door, he headed back out to get the mail, which he’d conveniently forgotten to get on his way in. He cursed loudly, he’d forgotten to check his post office box! He could just wait until tomorrow to check it. Shaking his head, he grabbed his keys and headed back out again, he wouldn’t be able to wait that long.

Making his way back in a short time later, he shut and locked the door, activating the alarm, he wasn’t gonna be going out again. Stopping by the table, he grabbed the bottle of water again and held it up to his lips to take another drink before setting it down, a slow smile forming on his lips, another letter from Veronica.

He made his way up to his room, ripping the envelope open at the same time. Walking over, Nick flopped down on his bed, pulling the paper out and opening it. He’d asked her a whole bunch of questions the last time he wrote, he wondered at the time if she’d actually sit down and answer them all. Seeing the two pages, it seemed she had. Smiling a bit, he got comfortable and stared reading.

Nick,

Hey! Great to hear from you again, always nice to get the mail and see a letter from you.


He felt the same way when it came to her letters.

Wow, that’s a lot of questions, let me see if I can get them all in here for you.

Ok, first off I’m twenty-four, I have two older Brothers Paul and Bryan and I work at a local grocery store in the deli. Ohhh, so exciting I know! I can’t complain, it’s a job and all. Still I wanna do more with my life and working in a deli isn’t gonna get me there ya know?

All right, what next? Oh, I’m out of school for now. I’ve got my degree in Liberal Arts though, gonna take some time off and then go back and get my bachelors degree, probably in English or something. Was not my original intention though, I wanted to go for computers, but Math and me don’t agree and besides, writing is where my heart is, so we’ll see how that goes.

As I said before, I work in a deli. Been there for about seven years and I can’t stand it. At first it was ok, didn’t mind it so much. After having to deal with nasty customers though, I’m sick of the interaction. I’m generally a people person, but I’m sick and tired of being treated any which way and having to take it cause they’re supposedly always right, bullshit. So yeah, not my career choice, but for now it’ll have to do.

My family, well it’s pretty easy. I already told you I have two older Brothers, one lives in Georgia and the other lives about fifteen minutes from me here in New York. My parents are divorced, about…six years now. I live alone and my Mom lives about twenty minutes from me. My Dad lives in Georgia in the same complex with my Brother Bryan too.


So her parents were divorced too, something they had in common. Nick wondered if she had a hard time dealing with it in the beginning like he was.

My Mom’s a nursing assistant and physical therapist and my Dad’s a truck driver. Bryan’s into sales, he could sell anyone anything, he’s really slick. I told him he needs to get into selling cars cause he’s shifty enough for it. He can be real charming, especially when it comes to the ladies. He’s such a ladies man that he makes me sick.

Nick chuckled; Bryan sounded like the kind of person he’d hang out with. People had always told him he could be kind of shifty, real charming when he wanted to be.

Paul does a lot of work on trucks and stuff, he likes to draw, but he’s more into the mechanics of things.

Ummm, oh right, my birthday. I turn twenty-five on July 21. I’m a summer girl at heart anyway, but it always feels so far away. Obviously I was born in 1980, not that you wanted me to get that specific or anything. Hell I could tell you what day and time if ya want! Heh heh.


Same age as him too, well he was a few months older, but that didn’t really matter. Part of him was glad she didn’t turn out to be too young or too much older than him.

Lastly, I live in Rochester, which is about an hour or so away from Buffalo, depending on how fast you drive. It’s not too bad, a couple of my friends and I always travel to Buffalo when you guys do concerts out there, it’s a lot of fun. We’re hoping though, that at some point you’ll come to Rochester. Ahh, everyone always asks you that don’t they? Forget I said that, I don’t wanna sound like anyone else! Ha ha!

Ok, I think that’s everything, I hope I didn’t leave anything out. I’d ask you tell me a little about yourself, but I guess it’s kind of unnecessary…unless there’s something you wanna tell me or whatever. Feel free.

So I’ll let ya go, you’re probably bored to tears right now aren’t ya? My life’s not remotely interesting really, I hope I haven’t disappointed you too much.

Talk to ya soon,

Veronica

PS. By the way it may be a little easier for you to email me. Here’s my address.

Freesialover@yahoo.com


Freesia lover? What was Freesia? He’d make a note to ask her the next time he wrote her. Nick smiled; folding the letter up and sliding it back into the envelope. It was nice to know more about her, felt a little closer to her in some odd way. Making his mind up suddenly, he sat up, rummaged around and found a notebook. Grabbing a pen, and finding something hard to write on. Opening the notebook he started to write. Generally he’d wait, but not this time, he was anxious to get back to her. Maybe he’d open up just a bit about his parents’ divorce, she’d understand wouldn’t she? Nick had to be careful though; he didn’t want what he told her to end up on the internet somewhere. He’d tell her very very little and see what happened. Maybe he’d even hop online and quickly drop her an email.