- Text Size +
Chapter 45


She sat there she was sure for a full minute, just staring at the IM box, her heart pounding, her hands ice cold. He’d responded, he’d actually responded. With that realization, she found she couldn’t move, she couldn’t bring herself to type anything. Fear poured over her, what should she say? How should she respond? She startled as the chime sounded, Erin had responded, she managed to click back to the IM.

Pinksneakers23: Hey, you still with me?
Freesialover: He responded
Pinksneakers23: No way! What’d he say? What’d you say?
Freesialover: He said my name.
Pinksneakers23: And what’d you say?
Freesialover: Nothing, I haven’t responded yet.
Pinksneakers23: Respond damnit!!!! He’s gonna think you’re ignoring him now!
Freesialover: I can’t!!! What do I say?!
Pinksneakers23: Hi for starters! Just say something, anything before he leaves! NOW!

She clicked over to the other IM and was just getting to type something, when he responded again.

Chucktaylor11: Are you there? Uh oh, did type the name in wrong or something?

Gathering her nerve she typed quickly.

Freesialover: No no, I’m here. You didn’t type the name in wrong.
Chucktaylor11: Ahh there you are! Finally, she speaks.
Freesialover: Sorry, ya caught me right in the midst of something.
Chucktaylor11: Ohh I’m sorry, I can let ya go if ya want.
Freesialover: No no!!! You’re fine, no problem.

Smooth move, make it sound like she didn’t want to talk to him. Groaning, she forged on.

Freesialover: You just took me by surprise is all. I thought you weren’t there.
Chucktaylor11: Oh yeah, sorry bout that. I had to put some clothes on, I didn’t hear the little thing…beep or whatever.

Put clothes on? He was naked? Veronica could feel her face flaming. He probably wasn’t, just had to put his pajamas on or something. She stopped, do guys wear pajamas?

Chucktaylor11: That sounded bad huh? LOL! I just got out the shower so I was just getting ready for bed.

Naked, he’d definitely been naked. She cleared her throat and responded.

Freesialover: I see. It’s no problem, I can let ya go if you were tired and stuff.
Chucktaylor11: Nah it’s cool, I can stay for a bit. I finally get to talk to ya, not gonna end it before it’s started.

Her heart dropped.

Freesialover: That’s sweet of you, thanks!
Chucktaylor11: No problem. So what are you up to tonight?
Freesialover: Just chatting with a friend. There’s not much to do online anymore. How bout you?
Chucktaylor11: Just finishing up mail, I’m thinkin’ I may play some games or something tho.
Freesialover: Online games can be addicting I learned fast.
Chucktaylor11: I know it. I can play for hours. A lot of the time none of my buddies are on when I get on so I gotta pass the time some way.
Freesialover: Yeah, well I’m usually on late with my friend, but she has to leave before me sometimes cause of her job so I’m all alone. Times like those I’ll just read or do some writing.
Chucktaylor11: Whatcha write? Oh wait, poems and stuff right?
Freesialover: Yeah, when I’m in the mood. Any other time I just kinda go with the mood I’m in.

Veronica quickly clicked over to the other IM while waiting for him to respond.

Freesialover: I did it, I’m talking to him.
Pinksneakers23: Good girl!! I’m proud of you.
Freesialover: I think I’m gonna piss my pants.
Pinksneakers23: Go ahead, he won’t know…unless you tell him and that wouldn’t be a good idea.
Freesialover: That’s nasty.
Pinksneakers23: I’m nasty? You’re the one who said you were gonna do it.
Freesialover: Anyway…
Pinksneakers23: Well, as much as I’d like to stay and find out what happens, I gotta go.

The familiar chime sounded and she looked down in her tray to see that Nick had responded.

Freesialover: You can’t leave! You can’t leave me all alone to deal with this.
Pinksneakers23: You’ll be fine! Just talk to him! Be calm and cool, you’ll be alright.
Freesialover: Yeah right. Well I’ll talk to you soon I hope.
Pinksneakers23: Definitely. Ya gotta tell me what happens!
Freesialover: I will. Have a good day at work tomorrow. Night!
Pinksneakers23: I’ll try! Night!
Pinksneakers23 signed off at 2:08:56 AM

Veronica clicked back over on the other IM.

Chucktaylor11: So, what kind of mood are you in now then?
Freesialover: Lazy mood! LOL
Chucktaylor11: I understand that. I don’t feel like doing much either. But hey, how you feelin’?
Freesialover: I feel alright. Just kinda sleepy. I had to work today.
Chucktaylor11: You don’t work everyday?
Freesialover: Nope, I’m only part time. Which isn’t good really considering I have rent and other bills to take care of.
Chucktaylor11: Hard huh?
Freesialover: Yeah, I need to get a roommate, it’s too much to handle on my own really.
Chucktaylor11: Sounds like a good idea.

Nick had no idea she lived alone too. He assumed she had a roommate at least, he wondered how she did it all on her alone, with only a part time job.

Freesialover: How bout you? How are you?
Chucktaylor11: I’m alright, just getting prepared for the trip with the guys to Germany.
Freesialover: Looking forward to it?
Chucktaylor11: I guess, these things are so fuckin’ drainin’ ya know?
Freesialover: I can imagine.
Chucktaylor11: Yeah, hey…I like your icon.

Veronica stared at the screen. He liked her icon?

Freesialover: My icon? My buddy icon?
Chucktaylor11: Yeah, you’ve got good taste.

Oh no.

Opening her buddy list, she pulled up her file and check her icon and sure enough, her icon was a picture of Nick.

Oh no no no.

She’d had it for so long, at some point she’d forgotten what it was. How embarrassing.

Freesialover: Oh yeah, I was gonna change it but I haven’t had the chance to.
Chucktaylor11: Mmmhmm
Freesialover: It’s true!
Chucktaylor11: Should I be insulted?
Freesialover: No! I’m sorry! LOL!
Chucktaylor11: I’m crying here now.
Freesialover: Nick! Cut that out! LOL!

Veronica chuckled, shaking her head.

Chucktaylor11: Is it that hard having my pic as your icon?
Freesialover: Of course not!
Chucktaylor11: Ok then, you don’t have to change it right?
Freesialover: Well no, I don’t HAVE to.
Chucktaylor11: But you want to?
Freesialover: Now now…
Chucktaylor11: *frowns*
Freesialover: Aww, I’m sorry! I’ll keep it ok?
Chucktaylor11: Promise?
Freesialover: I promise.
Chucktaylor11: *smiles*

Nick smiled, she was cute. He was thoroughly enjoying himself. She wasn’t like he expected, he should’ve known by now through her letters and emails, that she wasn’t like the typical fan. It was nice to just talk to someone without having to worry about them pressing him for information about the rest of the guys and when the new album was going to come out. The buddy icon thing did have him amused though. He could tell she was really embarrassed about it. He truly hoped she didn’t change it, not that he was vain, but it kind of made him feel good.

Freesialover: I’m such a sucker.
Chucktaylor11: Aww c’mon, you are not.
Freesialover: Hmmm, I’ll just blame you.
Chucktaylor11: Me? For what?
Freesialover: For charming me enough to keep my icon.

She certainly was charming him, that much he knew.

Chucktaylor11: I can be charming at times I guess.
Freesialover: That’s an understatement I’m sure.
Chucktaylor11: LOL Well lady, I’m gonna head out for the night, I’m sleepy. Ummm…I can email you and let you know when I’m going to Germany.

He wanted her to know when he was leaving, he was actually going to take the time to let her know. A small smile hovered over her lips.

Freesialover: Sure, that’d be great.
Chucktaylor11: Ok, once I get organized and get in some kind of schedule there, I’ll email you again. Hopefully we’ll be able to chat at some point.
Freesialover: Cool! Well I hope you have a nice night. I’ll respond to your email as soon as I can. Get some sleep. It was nice talking to you.
Chucktaylor11: I will, you too, email me back whenever you get the chance. Lata!
Freesialover: Bye!
Chucktaylor11 signed off at 3:24:15 AM