- Text Size +
Chapter 52


Veronica looked up at the clock, fifteen after seven. She had forty five minutes to get everything laid out for work in the morning before her programs came on. She hurried around, getting her clothes set out and her lunch made before making her way back into her room. She’d hop online quickly and check her mail for the night and the go watch TV for the rest of the evening.

Looking around her room, her thoughts drifted to work. She really wished he didn’t have to work in the morning. Actually, she wished she didn’t have to go to a job she hated in the morning. It would all change, she was working on it. She connected to the internet and then went to check her mail, signing onto her IM’s while she waited for the page to load. Quickly she scanned the emails, deleting the junk. Scrolling down she read a few and responded and was about to scroll back up, when she say she’d missed one. Scrolling down a bit more, she saw that she’d gotten an email from Nick. Smiling, clicked on it and waited for the page to load and then read.

Date: Sun, Nov 16 2004 1:15:20 -2000 (GMT)
From: chucktaylor11@aol.com
Subject: I’m here!
To: freesialover@yahoo.com

Hey girl it’s me! I just wanted to drop you a line as promised and let you know that I arrived safe and sound about three days ago. Sorry it’s taken me so long to respond, just finally got settled and right now we’re in a meeting, well we’re on lunch, I thought I’d email you and let you know what was going on.
Anyway, I’ve gotta jet, the meetings gonna be starting again soon. So I hope to talk to you soon!

Lata,

Nick


Veronica smiled, so he had arrived safe and sound. Clicking on the reply button, she filled out the subject line and then clicked on in the box to start typing.

Chucktaylor11: Boo!

Veronica jumped, her heart pounding. He was online!

Freesialover: Nick! Wow, hi!
Chucktaylor11: Hey you! It’s been awhile.
Freesialover: Yeah I know.
Chucktaylor11: So how come ya didn’t IM me?? I’m hurt! *frowns*

She laughed, shaking her head.

Freesialover: I didn’t think you’d be on! Besides I just got on myself. Just checking my mail.
Chucktaylor11: Uh huh, I’ll let it go just this once.
Freesialover: Oh, you’re too kind.
Chucktaylor11: Yeah, I know… J
Freesialover: *Groan* Anyway, I just read your email, thanks for writing me. I’m glad to hear that you arrived safe and sound. I’d been wondering how you were.
Chucktaylor11: No problem, thanks for caring. Sorry it took so long, it’s always crazy when we first get here, tryin to get settled and all.
Freesialover: It’s ok, I understand totally. So how are you doing? Have you rested up at all?
Chucktaylor11: I’m doin’ alright. Busy busy ya know? I’m hoping to go out with some of the guys tomorrow night and go to some clubs or something.
Freesialover: Ohhh
Chucktaylor11: Yeah. But nah, I haven’t really caught up on sleep yet. I should be in bed right now, but I had to get online and see if you were on and say hi.
Freesialover: Well don’t let me keep you from sleeping, we can talk some other time.
Chucktaylor11: No no, s’ok I don’t mind. I’ve been looking forward to this actually.

Veronica blinked, he had?

Freesialover: You have?

Nick smiled, he had. He’d been thinking about getting online ever since he’d sent her the email. He missed emailing her, he wanted to know how she was doing. It was nice to get to talk to her and hear back instantly. It was funny, he never really thought he’d have the time to think about how easy or hard their communication was.

Chucktaylor11: yeah I have. Ya know, we haven’t talked in a while, I was curious to see how you’ve been and what’s been going on with you.
Freesialover: Aww that’s so nice of you Nick. I wish I had something exciting to report though.
Chucktaylor11: Nothing? Not a thing?
Freesialover: Nope
Chucktaylor11: You like clubs?
Freesialover: Eh, they’re alright. I go with my friend Lynne sometimes. I went about a week or so ago.
Chucktaylor11: Well then, you did do something. How’d it go?

She couldn’t very well tell him that she danced with a guy and he left her standing in the middle of the dance floor like the loser she was. She’d be as vague as possible, he wouldn’t really care anyway.

Freesialover: It was alright.
Chucktaylor11: Do you dance?
Freesialover: Uh, not really.
Chucktaylor11: No? C’mon, ya can’t go to a club and not dance.
Freesialover: I’m not that good of a dancer really.
Chucktaylor11: Mmmm
Freesialover: It’s true

For some reason Nick had the feeling that it wasn’t about her not being a good dancer. It was apparent she didn’t want to talk about it, but he couldn’t seem to let it drop for some reason.

Chucktaylor11: So then, what do you do while you’re there?
Freesialover: Well usually I watch Lynne dance and just ya know, hang out.
Chucktaylor11: Ok, so if a guy were to ask you to dance, would you?
Freesialover: Typically no…
Chucktaylor11: I feel a but coming on.
Freesialover: No but, just I usually don’t.
Chucktaylor11: Has there been an excpetion?

Should she tell him? What could he possibly say though? Worst could happen is he’d laugh at her or pity her. Veronica didn’t think she could handle either.

Freesialover: Oh ya know, when your friend decides to drag you out onto the dance floor and push you into the guy behind you. Only then.
Chucktaylor11: Ohh, ouch.
Freesialover: Mmmhmm
Chucktaylor11: Alright so you have an excpetion…what happened in that particular instance.
Freesialover: Nothing really.
Chucktaylor11: Nothing?
Freesialover: Right
Chucktaylor11: Did you dance with him?
Freesialover: yeah

Nick stared at the screen, she was obviously uncomfortable, he didn’t want her to be. He’d drop it for now and try to bring it up later.

Chucktaylor11: Aight.
Freesialover: So what kinds of things are you gonna be doing while you’re there?
Chucktaylor11: Oh ya know, radio and magazine interviews. Gotta do some tv shows and all that shit. I had a meeting yesterday with some potential producers for the new album, that kinda thing.
Freesialover: That sounds pretty exciting.
Chucktaylor11: It can be I guess, most of the time it’s just exhausting. We never really have time to enjoy where we are cause we’re always doing something. That sucks
Freesialover: I bet it does *frowns*
Chucktaylor11: Aww, is that sad face for me? You feel bad for me?
Freesialover: yup it’s for you. I do feel bad for ya, you go to all these different places and ya can’t even enjoy it. That ain’t right.
Chucktaylor11: Thanks for feeling bad for me honey, that’s sweet of you.

Veronica cleared her throat, rubbing at her cheeks a bit. She wouldn’t bring attention to the fact that he called her honey and thought that she was sweet.

Freesialover: Well, that’s the kinda person I am ya know. By the way, what time is it there?
Chucktaylor11: It is…1:45 Monday morning here.
Freesialover: Oh right, you’re about what is it…six hours ahead of us here.
Chucktaylor11: Yeah, that’s about right.
Freesialover: That’s pretty early.
Chucktaylor11: I know, I’m tired and all, but I think I’m overtired. I probably wouldn’t be able to get to sleep if I tried. Been having a hard time these last few nights, I‘m still on US time.
Freesialover: Reeks havoc on your system.
Chucktaylor11: exactly
Chucktaylor11: Just as soon as I get used to it, it’ll be time for us to come back.
Freesialover: Lucky you!
Chucktaylor11: You know it
Freesialover: LOL
Freesialover: So other than clubs, what else for fun are you gonna try to do with the little bit of free time you’ll have?
Chucktaylor11: Mmm, go to some parties, maybe visit some friends. Whatever comes up.
Freesialover: Ahh cool.
Chucktaylor11: yeah it’s nice when I can actually do those things. Oh well. Aight lady, I’m gonna head off, get ready for bed and try to get some sleep, long day ahead of me and I have to be up in a few hours.
Freesialover: Alrighty!
Chucktaylor11: Do you work today? Or tomorrow for you rather.
Freesialover: Yeah I do. Bleh
Chucktaylor11: Ok, well I hope you have a good day and that it goes fast for ya.
Freesialover: Thanks Nick, same to you.
Chucktaylor11: Thanks, hey, email me sometime ok? Tell me about how work went.
Freesialover: Sure!
Chucktaylor11: Cool. Aight I’m out. Talk to ya later!
Freesialover: Ok! Night/Morning Nick!
Chucktaylor11: lol Night Veronica!
Chucktaylor11 signed off at 8:10:27 PM

Veronica slumped back in her chair, taking a deep breath. A small smile hovered on her lips, it was great to talk to him. Her body was trembling and her stomach was in knots, she’d hoped it wouldn’t be so bad if she ever talked to him again, apparently it still was. Slowly sitting back up, she started typing in the box of the email. He’d have two emails when he checked again.

Nick shut his laptop down, unplugging it from the wall. A small smile formed on his lips as he headed into the bathroom. He enjoyed that. He would’ve liked to have talked longer, but he really didn’t have the time. Nick hoped when he got back home, he’d be able to talk to her for longer periods of time. Making his way back out, he slipped into bed, pulling the covers up over himself, staring up at the ceiling.

He really hoped she would remember to email him.

Sighing, he rolled to his side, closing his eyes, falling asleep a few minutes later.