- Text Size +
Chapter 60


Valentines Day…

She shut and locked the door, sniffling softly. This Valentines Day was turning out to be one of the worst in history. Not that she’d ever actually had a good one. She set her keys down on the kitchen counter. Guys buying their girlfriends roses and cards, husbands buying their wives things and what did she get? Nothing, not a damn thing. Granted, one of the ladies she worked with bought all of the women in the department a carnation, which was nice, but not the same.

Veronica couldn’t recall a Valentines where she’d ever gotten anything from anyone of the opposite sex, and it looked like this year would be no exception. Walking over, she grabbed the mail key and hurried back out, getting the mail and making her way back in. She shuffled through the letters, stopping at a red envelope. Smiling a bit, she tore the envelope and pulled out the lavish card. Her Mom never failed to send her a card on Valentines Day and for that Veronica was grateful. She could always rely on her Mom. She opened the card and read the inside, her eyes welling up once more. Sometimes she missed her Mom so much she couldn’t breathe. Granted they were only minutes apart, but it still hurt. She’d call her tonight and thank her. She walked into the living room, setting the card atop of the entertainment center. Walking over, she headed over to her bedroom, undressed and made her way back down, still full from lunch, she headed back into the living room, turning the TV on and plopping down on the couch.

Her thoughts drifted to work, which had started out fine, until James came in. It wasn’t that she hadn’t wanted to see him, that was never the case. No, it was because she found out that he was going on another date with that girl, and he seemed to be really excited about it. Just thinking about it now made her sick to her stomach. Her, that could’ve been her, but she’d waited, too afraid of being turned down. She wiped angrily at her eyes, she was wallowing in self pity and she couldn’t stand it.

Standing quickly, she made her way into the kitchen, she’d eat anyway. She grabbed a bowl and then her favorite box of cereal and poured a small amount, adding a little milk and then bringing it back to the couch. She ate slowly, flipping through the channels, finally stopping on the Game Show Network, she loved to watch Lingo. After finishing her cereal, she brought the bowl to the sink then headed up and booted her computer.

After logging on, she signed into her IM’s to see if anyone was on that she wanted to talk to, and was not surprised to find her buddy list of friends on practically empty. Sighing, she went and checked her mail quickly; preparing to sign out, when she saw an email she missed. Scrolling down, she frowned in confusion; someone had sent her an e-card. She clicked on it and waited for it to load. She scrolled down, her eyes widening, Nick had sent her a card. Smiling, she clicked on the link to pick up her card, another window coming up. She maximized it and watched as it loaded and then small hearts started to float around. Veronica laughed at the silly little animation and then the generic Happy Valentines Day! Then came the message from Nick.

Message from Nick:
Happy Valentines Day Veronica!

Will you be my Valentine?


Veronica chuckled, shaking her head. She’d never gotten an e-card from a guy on Valentines Day, hell she’d never gotten a card from a guy period. Closing the window, she started a new email, she’d send him a thank you note, she could send him another card, but she figured anything she’d pick out would look stupid. Then again, he did pick out a card with flying hearts on it. She couldn’t help but laugh. Veronica clicked on the body of the email and started to type.

Chucktaylor11: So…will you?

Her mouth dropped, he was online! It was so early, she didn’t figure he’d be on yet if at all.

Freesialover: Nick! You’re here! Will I what?
Chucktaylor11: You got the card right?
Freesialover: Yeah, I just got finished looking at it. Thanks so much by the way!
Chucktaylor11: you’re welcome. But you still haven’t answered the question.
Freesialover: What question?
Chucktaylor11: will you be my valentine?

She blinked, he was serious?

Freesialover: Are you serious?
Chucktaylor11: I’m asking aren’t I?
Freesialover: Yeah but…
Chucktaylor11: well?
Freesialover: LOL Sure, of course I will!

How could she not? It was too sweet.

Chucktaylor11: Whew! I was worried there.
Freesialover: I’m sure you were.
Chucktaylor11: I was! This kinda thing is nerve wrecking! Girls have no idea. You guys always want us to ask you to dance, ask you out…that kinda thing. It’s scary!
Freesialover: Ohhhhh I feel so bad for you! LOL
Chucktaylor11: maaaaaaan…
Freesialover: Aww poor baby!
Chucktaylor11: i’m not a baby!
Freesialover: LOL
Chucktaylor11: Yeah yeah…ANWAY…it’s official. For the rest of the evening you’re my valentine.

Her heart dropped, it was too bad he wasn’t there in person, then what?

Freesialover: Aww, you’re so sweet!
Chucktaylor11: Thanks! Now, I gotta ask, do you like candy?
Freesialover: Well it depends.
Chucktaylor11: chocolate, you like chocolate right?
Freesialover: Sure! I’m not crazy about it like some, but it’s alright. Why?
Chucktaylor11: Cause well, I got something for ya.

Veronica stared at the screen; a small picture of what she assumed to be a piece of candy appeared.

Chucktaylor11: candy and… ---}-}-@

Her eyes widened, her throat starting to close suddenly.

Chucktaylor11: There ya go! I hope you like roses. So now you don’t have to spend Valentines day alone and I don’t either.

She sniffled, wiping at her eyes. It was nothing, just something made out of symbols, but she couldn’t stop herself. Candy and a flower, now she couldn’t say she’d never gotten anything from a guy. Nick, he’d made it happen, he had no idea what it meant to her.

Freesialover: Thank you so much Nick, this is so nice. And yes, I do like roses, they’re my favorite flower actually.
Chucktaylor11: Aww it’s ok. I wish I could’ve done more.

He could’ve done more, why hadn’t he? He could’ve done like she had, sent something overnight. Groaning, sometimes he could be so lame. The next chance he had, he’d send her something, do something more.

Freesialover: Believe me, it’s plenty. I hope I’m not keeping you from something. You should be out there having fun.
Chucktaylor11: Who says I’m not having fun now?
Freesialover: C’mon Nick, this can’t be that exciting.

Nick frowned, granted he hadn’t figured he’d be home for Valentines, but when he thought about it, he really couldn’t think of any place he’d rather be than here talking with Veronica. It just didn’t seem right that she didn’t have anyone to celebrate it with, and all that junk going on with that guy she liked, he figured she was feeling pretty low. No, this was right.

Chucktaylor11: I don’t mind. Now…what should we do? Wanna go to a movie? We can share a large bucket of popcorn!

Veronica wiped at her eyes again. She’d do anything he wanted, she’d take the chance with him, risk it if only she could. God, why couldn’t he be there?