- Text Size +
Chapter 62


Veronica clicked on her inbox, waiting for the page to load. She been anxious to get home all day, she’d been dying to talk to Nick; she hoped he’d be online. It’d been a few days since he’d called, and they hadn’t talked since then. Part of her wanted to call, but she didn’t want to seem obnoxious about it. She signed onto the instant messenger. It was eleven, she wondered if Nick was on right now. In a carefree moment, she brought up an empty IM box and typed in his name and sent him a message, then minimized the box. Not ten seconds later, the familiar chime was heard over the speakers, the little box in her tray flashing. Veronica quickly clicked on it.

Freesialover: Nick? Are you there?
Chucktaylor11: hey girl!
Freesialover: Wow you are there! I wasn’t expecting you to be home. I thought you’d be out with Brent.
Chucktaylor11: we did, earlier. I got back a little while ago. One of the guys we were with had to be home early.
Freesialover: So how have you been?
Chucktaylor11: honestly? Lousy.
Freesialover: Oh yeah? How come?
Chucktaylor11: eh, my mom called today and bitched me out for no fuckin’ reason.

Veronica hesitated a moment. Should she pursue it? Would he even talk to her about it? She had to try.

Freesialover: Hmm…do you wanna talk about it? The phone call I mean.

Nick blinked furiously, his vision blurring. He’d drunk way too much, he rarely ever got drunk, but tonight it’d been appropriate. Maybe that was why he was actually considering talking to her about it, no not considering, doing it. He was going to do it. He was tired of holding it all in, he needed to tell someone. Besides, she knew what it was like and he trusted her. Nick stilled, staring at the screen. He didn’t know when it’d happened, but he’d grown to trust her, more than he’d ever planned on. Nick knew it was the right thing to do, he could feel it.

Chucktaylor11: it’s just, she calls to ask me about my dad and wants to know why I haven’t called and all that. She keeps saying that dad’s telling me not to call but he’s not and…ugh I can’t stand it.
Freesialover: Aww Nick I’m sorry. I know how that goes. My dad still does that to me too.
Chucktaylor11: yeah? So what do you do about it?
Freesialover: I’m working on it. You know what you do? The next time your Mom or your Dad calls and starts spouting that shit, you tell them, look, if you didn’t call to talk to me and see how I’m doing, then don’t call. I don’t need to hear you bad mouthing each other, this is your thing, not mine. If that doesn’t work, then hang up on em. Honestly Nick, you don’t need to be brought into that. I’m still trying to do it too, it’s hard, really hard. All my friends are telling me to do it and I’m like, I can’t, but ya know what? I have to. Cause it’s pissin’ me off and I’m getting frustrated.
Chucktaylor11: yes! Exactly! I’m so pissed here lately, it’s just not right ya know.
Freesialover: I do know Nick, I’m sorry.
Chucktaylor11: it’s hard Veronica, it’s so hard.

Veronica frowned; she knew how hard it was. She hated the fact that parents could do that to their kids and not care, that they would hurt them to try to get back at the other.

Freesialover: Aww Nick.
Chucktaylor11: I love em both, but they just make it so hard, they’ve always made it hard.
Freesialover: I understand, but you can’t let em get away with this, with making you feel this way. It’s such a lousy feeling. It’s NOT your problem or your Brother or Sisters. It’s between them. What they’re doing is NOT ok.
Chucktaylor11: sorry to be bugging you with all this.
Freesialover: No no! You’re not, not at all. It’s fine.
Chucktaylor11: Thanks
Freesialover: Nothing to thank me for Nick, really. Ya know, I’m here if you wanna talk ever ok? It helps sometimes. I know when everything started with my parents, I just kept it all in, it’s just how I operate. I can tell you now, that it’s so much easier when you talk about it.
Chucktaylor11: That’s what everyone tells me, I just have a hard time with it.
Freesialover: Yeah, I understand that. Well I’m here, no pressure.

Nick let out a breath, that’s what he’d wanted. He wanted to know that there was someone there who wasn’t going to force him or pressure him to say something.

Chucktaylor11: wow, you don’t know how much I needed that. Thanks again.
Freesialover: Anytime.
Chucktaylor11: aight, I’m gonna head off. Feeling kinda bleh, but I’m hoping to be on again soon. I’ll talk to ya then alright honey?
Freesialover: Sure sweetie. Take care, try not to let it bother you. Hard I know.
Chucktaylor11: I will, promise. Night Veronica
Freesialover: Night Nick.

Veronica signed out and slumped back in her chair. She felt so bad for him. She knew how hard it was in the beginning to deal with everything and she could imagine what he was feeling. She shut her computer down and stood, heading out her room. Veronica was tempted to call him, but didn’t wanna bother him.

Nick shut his laptop down and flopped down on his bed, groaning. He felt like he was gonna throw up, but he wanted to sleep too. Damn he was a mess. He could call Veronica, he wanted to talk more, but he didn’t want to bother her. Besides, he’d just told her he wasn’t feeling good, it’d be weird if he called her. Licking at his dry lips, he closed his eyes, sleep soon taking him.