- Text Size +
A/N: Here's a little mini update. I'm sorry I'm not posting more, but I don't wanna leave readers hanging for too long. I hope to be back with another update later on! Enjoy!

Chapter 86


Veronica made her way quietly out of her room and over to the bathroom, setting her clothes on the sink. Hesitating a moment, she made her way back out and pressed up against the wall. Slowly she peeked around the corner, he was still asleep. He appeared to be comfortable, which took a weight off her shoulders. Turning, she pulled the tie tighter on her robe and headed into the bathroom, shutting the door quietly behind her.

The sound of water woke him up slowly, almost melodically. Nick rolled over on the bed, groaning softly. He’d been surprised; the mattress had been as comfortable as Veronica had promised. Still, he’d tossed and turned, bad dreams of him making out with Veronica and having his teeth fall out kept him up most of the night. Slowly he opened his eyes, memories of what had happened the day before, came rushing back.

It all seemed clearer in the morning, he could focus, make sense of it and it all boiled down to one thing.

He was a loser.

Nick couldn’t believe how much of a loser he was, it was all clear now, and Veronica. Oh god he was surprised she was still talking to him. The talk they’d had the night before had been great, still he had an enormous amount of guilt. He didn’t deserve a friend like her. How was he going to speak to her? What was he gonna say? Nervousness swept over him suddenly, his mouth very dry. He was never good at awkward situations and small talk, he normally clamed right up when it came to filling in the gaps, especially when it had to do with something he did wrong. This all meant too much to him, she meant too much to him to screw it all up. He’d be mature about it, despite what everyone thought about him, he could be mature and discuss things like an adult when the situation called for it. He stilled when he heard the water turn off and the sound of the door sliding open. God, she was naked in that room and he was there on the couch. He couldn’t stop thinking about it, about her in nothing more than a towel. Rubbing at his eyes, he jerked when the phone started to ring. His eyes widened when he heard the bathroom door knob start to turn. Quickly he closed his eyes, his body going still once more as Veronica bolted out of the bathroom and over to the phone. He listened carefully.

“Hello? Oh, hey dad,” she whispered.

Nick winced, he knew he shouldn’t be listening, but he couldn’t help it. He hoped this would turn out to be a good conversation between her and her dad.

“Sorry…well I have a friend over and he’s on the pull out bed and I don’t…yes a he…”

He couldn’t help but smile.

“No no, it’s nothing like that, he’s a friend. Well if he were more than that, would he be on the pull out bed?”

Nick’s smile turned into a grin, not if had his way about it.

“No…NO! Dad really, he’s a friend. Nick, his name is Nick. Online…well we’ve been talking for a while and he surprised me on my birthday. I know, he’s completely safe, we talked on the phone and everything before hand, I’m being careful I promise.”

He slowly opened his eyes, looking over at her, his mouth dropping. She was wearing that damn towel, just like he thought. Her hair was still damp and he could see a fine sheen of water on her chest. Swallowing hard, he propped himself up on his elbows, looking her over.

“Not much, just on vacation. Yes I got your gift, thanks. Well I’ve tried them on and they fit pretty well. No I’m not gonna tell you how much I weigh, they fit so it’s ok.”

Nick frowned, slowly starting to sit up.

“I know dad, I’m trying to be careful, I know how important it is,” Veronica sighed. “I will dad, I’m gonna get a new job, things are just a little hard right now, but I will. I’m not wasting my degree; it’s a liberal arts degree anyway, besides I need to get my bachelors.”

Nick watched as she winced, rolling her eyes.

“I am going back to school dad; I’m just taking time off. You have so little faith in me that you don’t think I will? We had this conversation before and I went back right? I need a better job first dad, college is expensive…I know but I don’t want a loan, of course I’ll try to get grants. No, it’s ok dad, I’ll take care of it. C’mon dad don’t be like that, I appreciate the offer, but I’ll take care of it. Dad…well the government is supposed to…no I didn’t mean it like that!”

Nick sighed, shaking his head. It was one thing when she’d describe how one of their conversations would go, but it was another to hear it first hand. He could see how she’d get so frustrated, and yet…she did it. She put up with it all. He just couldn’t understand why she’d put herself through it. Pulling the covers back, he swung his legs over the side of the bed and stood and started towards her.

“Dad, I’m gonna let you go. I just got out of the shower and I’m dripping on the kitchen floor and I don’t wanna wake Nick up. No…no, cause I told you he’s just a friend. Because…I’m not his type anyway.”

He stopped walking and listened, was she really going to tell her dad his type?

“You know, tall, thin, and beautiful. Everything I’m not…you’re supposed to say that, you’re my dad. Nah, it’s ok, it’d hurt too much when he turned me down. No I don’t know that for sure, but I don’t wanna take that chance.”

Nick frowned, his heart dropping. So that’s what she thought of him.

“Ok dad, I gotta go. I will…I know, I will dad. Dad…dad please. I talked to Mom a few days ago…she’s fine. Dad stop it! Just stop it, I told you I’m not gonna answer when you say that. Yeah ok…love you…bye.”

He watched as she walked over and set the phone on the charger, sighing heavily. Nick made his way up behind her quietly, her head was bowed, and her shoulders slumped.

“Are you ok?”

She whirled around her eyes wide, “Nick! You scared the crap outta me!”

He gave a small smile, “I seem to do that a lot. Are you alright?”

“Huh? Oh, yeah I’m fine.”

“Ya know, you said it was bad and everything when we talked on the phone and all, but damn.”

Veronica looked away, “It’s no big deal.”

“Yeah it is, don’t let him do that to you.”

“Too late, he already did.”

Frowning, he reached out, cautiously putting a hand on her bare shoulder. “I’m sorry.”

“Yeah…me too.”

Nick stared at her, trying not to focus too much on the feel of her bare skin below his hand.

“Uh…” Veronica looked down at his hand on her arm and then down at the towel, and then at him in his boxers, her face turning red. “Whoa, I’m sorry; I didn’t mean to wake you.”

“It’s alright, I was up.”

“I tried to get to the phone before…you were?”

He gave her a sheepish smile, “Yeah.”

“O-oh…well…I’m just…gonna go…get dressed.”

“Alright.”

She slowly lifted her eyes to his, “Nick?”

“Yeah?”

“Thanks…for…well this,” she looked down at his hand and then back up at him.

“No problem,” he smiled.

Veronica smiled softly before carefully making her way around him and back down the hall to the bathroom.

Nick listened as the door clicked shut and closed his eyes. It was becoming more and more difficult for him to control himself around her. Shifting, he pressed a hand to is crotch, wincing. He had to learn to curb his thoughts or they were going to get him into trouble again. He had to keep his hands off, or try to at least. Sighing, he turned and headed over to the couch, grabbing his clothes and starting to dress.