- Text Size +
Chapter 94


Later That Evening…

“Well that was a good movie,” Veronica announced as they made their way back into the apartment.

“Yeah, I liked it; I thought it could’ve been a little better though.”

“Really? I didn’t think it was bad,” she said as she shut and locked the door.

“It wasn’t bad just…I was expecting more action.”

Veronica rolled her eyes, “Typical guy.”

“It’s not an action movie without the action V! I mean, where was the violence? The shoot out‘s, the killings, the blood on the street? It was a bit depressing.”

“Mmmhmm,” she grinned, heading down the hall to her bedroom.

Nick watched her leave, a soft smile on his lips. Reaching into his pocket, he pulled his now ringing phone out, flipping it open.

“Lo?”

“Hey man!”

“Oh, hey Bri, s’up?”

“Not much, what’s up man? I was hoping you’d call sometime.”

“Sorry, been busy ya know.”

“Yeah? How’s things been going with Veronica?”

“Pretty good, I’ve really been enjoying it here, she’s really sweet.”

There was silence for a moment.

“Sweet?”

Nick frowned, “Yeah, sweet.”

“Since when are your girlfriends sweet?”

“She’s…she’s not my girlfriend,” Nick sighed, his heart dropping.

“Well I don’t mean like that, she’s a friend who’s a girl, she’s a girl…friend.”

“What? The girls I hang out with can’t be sweet?”

“No it’s not that, it’s just…usually they’re ya know…well you know,” Brian hedged.

“No, I don’t know, why don’t you tell me.”

Brian sighed, “Are we ever gonna meet her?”

“Eventually.”

“She must be something special.”

Nick narrowed his eyes, “Why do you say that?”

“Cause, you’ve never kept any of your female friends so close to you before. You seem to be protecting her from something…from us.”

He sighed, she was special.

“I’m not protecting her from you guys.”

“Are you sure?”

No, no he wasn’t sure.

“I’m gonna get going.”

“When do you come home?”

“Two days, early afternoon.”

“Well alright, stop by after you get settled, Baylee wants to see you.”

Why did he keep doing that? Did he actually think he believed that?

“Sure man.”

“I’m serious Nick; Leigh wants to see you too.”

Nick chuckled, he sure was persistent.

“Not you though right?”

“Who me? No way!”

“Uh huh, I’ll talk to ya later.”

“Later!”

Nick flipped his phone closed and shoved it back in his pocket. Most of the time he never knew how to take the things Brian said anymore. Their friendship wasn’t like it used to be and it hurt. Nick missed Brian, but he knew that things had changed for him, priorities had shifted and their friendship while still important wasn’t high on his list of priorities anymore. Nick always felt like a forth wheel when he went to visit.

Turning he headed towards his bag, when he heard a sound coming from Veronica’s room. Hesitantly he turned and made his way down the hall to her room, he stopped by her door, listening intently. He knocked, but got no response.

“Veronica?”

I sounded like music playing and…it couldn’t be.

“Veronica?”

Reaching out, he turned the knob, slowly opening the door. He hoped she wasn’t half dressed or anything, even though they had been intimate, it’d been dark. He didn’t actually see her.

Carefully, he poked his head around the door.

“Veronica? I tried knocking but I guess…” he stopped. She was fully dressed, bent over looking for something. She had the radio on pretty loud, so that explained why she didn’t hear him call her or knock. Nick stared hard at her, licking his lips suddenly and just that fast he wanted her.

He’d been right, she was humming something, and her soft voice could barely be heard over the soft melody now playing.

“I'm scared, so afraid to show I care. Will he think me weak, if I tremble when I speak?” she sang, slowly straightening up and turning to her dresser.

Nick made his way inside, quietly closing the door behind him. His lips curved up in a half smile as he watched her, slowly making his way closer to her.

“…And whisper, tender words so soft and sweet. Hold him close to feel his heart beat, love will be the gift you give yourself.”

He stopped just behind her, listening intently, the song sounded familiar, he’d heard it before, but he didn’t know the name of it. She was barely singing, it was hard to make her out, nonetheless, Nick found himself growing more and more aroused. He cursed himself inwardly for the sheer stupidity of it, she was singing, barely, and yet he found it hard to keep himself from touching her.

“I love him, of that much I can be sure. I don't think I could endure, if I let him walk away, when I have so much to say…”

He slid his hands around her waist suddenly, pulling her back to him.

“Oh! Nick, you scared me! I was just going to show you some…”

Nick whirled her around, pressing her close to him as he kissed her deeply.

Veronica pulled away, “Whoa, where’d that come from?”

“S-sorry, but you were bent over and singing and…” he shook his head. “Sorry.”

“No no, it’s ok,” she blinked.

Nick sighed, “Veronica?”

She slowly looked up at him, “Yeah?”

“I really want you right now.”

Her eyes widen.

“I know I know, it sounds bad, but holy shit.”

She smiled, looking away, a slight blush on her cheeks, “Nick…”

He looked over at her again, pulling her back into his arms, “I want you Veronica.”

Her heart dropped, and that familiar ball of fear welled up inside. Still, she didn’t hesitate; Veronica wrapped her arms around him, hugging him close as he kissed her deeply.

Nick led her back to the bed, gently laying her down.

“Hurry Nick…”

He groaned, sliding his hands down to unbutton her jeans, pushing them down.

Her head was spinning and all she knew was that she wanted this, and that she was glad that he’d been the one to say something this time. She could finally admit it to herself, she’d wanted this to happen, hoped it would happen again and now it was.

She fumbled with the button of his jeans, unzipping them and then pushing them down. Somehow they both managed to get undressed, Nick rested on her carefully, sliding his hand down and hooking her leg over his hip and went to move when suddenly he remembered.

“Fuck…”

“Wha-what?”

“C-condom.”

Veronica’s eyes widened, how could she have forgotten?

“Shit…hang on; let me see if I have another.”

He pulled away quickly, grabbing his jeans.

She prayed silently that he’d have another and she also thanked god for him remembering. How could she have been so stupid? So careless? Veronica had never understood or believed when people said they got caught up in the moment, she no longer had any doubt it could happen. If it hadn’t been for Nick…

“I have one left, I can’t believe it.”

Veronica looked over at him and smiled; the fear came on quick once again, but wasn’t nearly as bad as it had been the very first time. There was a light crinkling and then he was there, resting on her again. She brought her legs up, wrapping them around his waist and pulling him down for a kiss as he slipped into her.

She let out a soft sigh, hugging him close to her as he moved. Veronica felt herself slowly starting to relax, and at the same time, her body tensed, and she tightened around him.

“V-Veronica…”

She moaned, pushing her hips up to meet his instinctively, crying out softly as the feeling increased. They moved together, faster, harder, and they both called out as they hit their peak together and then lay back, panting hard.

“God…”

Nick moaned softly, hugging her close, his eyes tightly shut. He couldn’t get close enough, deep enough. He managed to somehow pull the covers out from under them. Once he’d covered them both, he shifted so he was lying beside her.

“Baby?”

“Mmm?”

“How do you feel?” he whispered.

“Mmm…k” she murmured sleepily.

He smiled, she was already half asleep. Leaning in, he kissed her forehead gently, pulling her even closer, making sure she was covered and warm. Things certainly had changed since two days ago and he was glad. She seemed more relaxed, more comfortable around him. He hadn’t thought this moment would come again, would ever happen. He was glad it did, but he also didn’t want her to pull away from him again.

Sighing heavily, Nick watched as she slept. He had two days left and then he’d have to leave, back home, back to reality. How was he going to do it? How could he leave her?

Closing his eyes, he snuggled against her, drifting off into a troubled sleep.

Song bits : Tell Him - by Celine Dion and Barbara Streisand