- Text Size +
Chapter 95


She made her way out of the bathroom and into the living room, flopping down next to Nick on the couch.

“Man we slept in too late, now I don’t feel like doing anything besides lounging like a lazy bum,” she sighed.

Nick grinned, leaning in to kiss her temple, “That’s cool; we can just stay in on this last day and chill.”

“You don’t mind?”

“No way, it’ll be a nice way to end the vacation.”

“Ok, then we’ll stay in.”

“Cool.”

She looked at the TV then at him again, “I bet…you’ll be glad to go home.”

Nick looked over at her and she looked away quickly, “Mmm, sort of, but I’m really gonna miss you.”

“Psh, I bet you said that to all the girls,” she chuckled, blushing a bit.

He nodded, “Yeah I do, but this time I actually mean it.”

And he did he realized as he looked over at her, he really was going to miss her. Sleep had been fitful at best. He kept dreaming that he was standing in the middle of some road and he kept trying to reach out and grab someone in front of him, but he couldn’t reach, he somehow kept moving further and further away. He’d woken up frustrated and had grabbed Veronica and made sure she was still there.

“Yeah? Well I’m gonna miss you too. Having you here has just been amazing.”

Nick leaned in, kissing her deeply, sliding his hand up to cup her cheek gently. She slid closer to him, wrapping her arms around him.

“Girl, don’t get me started.”

“Me? You’re the one who started it.”

He grinned, “Oh yeah.”

Veronica chuckled, “But now that you’ve started it, I have no problem finishing it,” she leaned in and kissed him again just as the phone started to ring.

“Maaan…”

“Hold that thought,” she winked, standing and hurrying over to grab the cordless. “Hello?”

“Hey.”

“Bryan?”

“Yeah.”

“Wow what’s up? You never call.”

“It’s about dad.”

She frowned, what had he told Bryan? “What about him?”

“He’s sick, he’s in the hospital.”

Her heart stopped, “What? I just talked to him yesterday, he was fine. He said he was getting over a cold.”

“Yeah well, he’s been sick for a few days and I took him to the hospital last night and now…well he’s in a coma.”

“C-coma?”

Nick frowned, what was going on? He could tell from her expression that whatever it was, it wasn’t good news.

“Yeah, look Veronica, you need to try to come down here, you’ve gotta see him incase…”

“Incase what?”

“Just…come down.”

“I don’t know that I can, I’ll try and see what I can do. Keep me updated.”

“Ok, I’ll talk to ya soon.”

“Alright, bye.”

She hung up and turned, heading over to the couch, sitting slowly.

“Veronica? What’s wrong? Who was that?”

“My brother Bryan.”

“Oh? What’d he say?”

“It’s…it’s dad, he’s sick. He’s in the hospital, he’s…in a coma.”

“A coma? What…I mean, what’s wrong? Er…what’s…” he stuttered, trying to make sense of what she told him.

Veronica shook her head, “I don’t know, he was fine yesterday, he was fine. He promised he would go to the doctors, that he’d tell me what was wrong.”

Nick sighed heavily, “Damnit.”

Veronica closed her eyes, slumping back on the couch.

Now what?