- Text Size +
Chapter 119

Veronica set the basket down on the table, staring at it thoughtfully before reaching into her purse, pulling her phone out and sitting on the couch, pressing the speed dial button for Lynne, waiting for her to pick up. She’d decided to head back to Nick’s bus to stay out of the way as much as possible. She didn’t want to disturb any kind of routine he had.

“Hello?”

“Hey, it’s me.”

“Ohh hey what’s up?”

“I’m at the concert, on his bus.”

“Cool, how’s things been going?”

“Really good, I got to meet the rest of the guys and everyone who works on the staff and stuff, it’s been really cool!”

“Aww!”

“Yeah, we had lunch together and I met Kevin’s wife, I haven’t met Leighanne yet, I’m hoping to soon.”

“Sounds pretty exciting.”

“It is, he bought me this really pretty yellow rose and then get this, he got me at least one of every souvenir that they’re selling and had all the guys sign the stuff. He just got done with the soundcheck party and now he’s getting ready for the concert so I’m just relaxing here on his bus.”

“You’re beaming, I can’t see you, but I can tell.”

“I am not, I’m just really excited. Stuff like this doesn’t happen to me ya know.”

“Which is why you have to be careful.”

Veronica blinked, “Be careful? Of what?”

“Nick.”

“What do you mean?”

Lynne sighed, “Veronica we’ve been through this before. I just…I dunno, I hate to see you getting all worked up and happy over all of this and then have it just…end one day with no reason.”

“Lynne it’s not like we’re dating, we’re friends, and I keep telling you that.”

“I know that’s what you keep telling me, but you don’t talk about him like he’s just a friend Veronica.”

She didn’t?

“I don’t know what you mean.”

“You don’t hear yourself Veronica, how you sound. I’ve never heard you like this before, even with James. It sounds like you’re starting to more than just care about him.”

“I am not, look Lynne it’s not like that. He doesn’t like me like that; he never has and never will. I’m not his type, there’s nothing to worry about.”

“Veronica…”

“Friends Lynne, we’re friends.”

“I understand that, but what if he decides he’s bored with being just friends and decides that’s it? No more phone calls or emails…then what Veronica? Where does that leave you? Guys like that…like him, they don’t care. They loose interest and move on to someone else, I don’t want you to get hurt,” Lynne finished softly.

“Am I really that repulsive or something?” Veronica muttered coldly.

“Veronica, I didn’t mean it like…”

“You keep saying this, why can’t I be friends with him? You said I’m supposedly too good for him, but you sure seem to think opposite. You’ve done nothing but warn me against him. If it was all about sex, he would’ve left a long time ago, in case you’ve forgotten Lynne, we’ve done that already!” Veronica spat.

Lynne sighed, “Veronica…I’m sorry. I’m not trying to be mean, really.”

Veronica groaned, “No, that was mean. I’m sorry, I just…I don’t know why it’s so wrong that we’re friends. Why can’t I be friends with him without having to worry about his intentions?”

“I know, I just care about you is all, I don’t want you to get hurt.”

“I appreciate that Lynne, I do. You’re going to have to trust me ok? I wouldn’t do anything to purposely hurt myself ok? Who knows how long this is gonna go on, I’m just enjoying it while it’s happening. I’m not expecting that we’ll be friends forever, that he’s always gonna call or email or whatever, in fact I keep waiting for the day when it will happen. It’s gonna be hard enough as it is without…without…” she stopped, shaking her head.

“Without me making it worse, yeah, I hear ya.”

“Lynne…”

“It’s ok Veronica, I get it, really.”

“Please don’t be mad.”

“I’m not, I promise. I dunno, I worry too much sometimes I know. I know how important he is to you, how important he’s always been. I guess I just want him to be everything that you want him to ya know.”

Veronica smiled a bit, “Yeah I know.”

“Well if I haven’t totally ruined it for you, enjoy the concert ok?”

“I will, thanks Lynne.”

“Sure, I’ll let ya go. Call me and tell me how it was.”

“I will, bye!”

Veronica flipped the phone closed and slumped back, closing her eyes. She couldn’t get Lynne’s words out of her head. What if she was right? What if he did decide to stop calling? What if he did get bored with just being friends? Granted it was always in the back of her mind, the moment when everything stopped, but it was another thing entirely to have someone voice those thoughts, made it that much harder.

Maybe she should stop it first, maybe she should be the one to stop calling, get him before he got her. She groaned, she couldn’t do that, not when she’d come this far. No if anyone was going to stop this friendship, it would have to be him…and that left her vulnerable.

All Veronica knew was that she was going to hold on for as long as possible.