- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Happy New Year! Enjoy!
Chapter 125

She set her keys down on the table, yawning as she made her way into the bedroom. She couldn’t wait to get into bed. She’d left Jared’s early much to his dismay, but she needed to get home get some rest and go out, she had some errands to run.

Quickly she undressed, smiling a bit as she thought about last night. It’d been awkward at best, she had been surprised that Jared hadn’t kicked her out after she’d refused to be intimate, but he didn’t. It’d been nice waking up in his arms, it’d been comfortable. Veronica slipped under the covers and had just settled down, when her cell rang. Scrambling up, she bolted out of her bed and rushed over to grab her purse off the table, whipping her phone out, flipping it open.

“Hello?”

“Hey.”

“Nick, hi!”

Nick smiled; it was good to hear her voice. “Hey sweetie, what’s going on?”

“Not much, just getting ready to go to bed.”

Nick checked his watch, “Sweetie, it’s seven in the morning your time.”

“I know, I just got home.”

“Late night huh?” He grinned.

“Well kinda, I was at Jared’s.”

Nick stilled, his gaze roaming around the bus suddenly, “But I thought…”

“I stayed over; it was late so he was like, just stay over.”

His heart dropped suddenly, his mouth felt like it’d been stuffed with cotton.

“Oh.”

“Yeah, I mean, I told him I was fine to drive home, but he wasn’t hearing it,” Veronica laughed.

Nick had tried hard to shut it out the first time Veronica had told him about Jared, it hurt too much for some reason to hear her talking about some guy and how they were going out on dates and how nice he was. As far as Nick was concerned, he was too night, to perfect. She had yet to say anything negative about him and it just wasn’t right, something about the guy wasn’t right.

“I’m so excited, we’re going out to a club tonight with a couple of my friends from work and Lynne and I’m really looking forward to it.”

Nick brought his gaze to the window, staring out blanking. She sounded so happy, so content and part of him was angry over it. It shouldn’t be like this, it shouldn’t be…

“Nick? You still there?”

“Huh? Yeah, sorry I’m here, just listening.”

“Ok, you’re so quiet.”

“Just listening. So…you guys have gone out on a couple dates huh?”

“Yeah, four so far, five tonight. I dunno, I really like him, he’s…he’s not, I dunno, I don’t know how to explain it. After last night, it’s just really nice.”

He wanted to ask, god he wanted to ask so bad, but he knew he had no right. A friend, he was just her friend.

“I’m really comfortable around him, and you know how hard that is for me, to be comfortable around a guy.”

“Yeah.”

“But I’m enjoying this, enjoying him.”

He bit his lip before blurting out, “Are you two a couple now? I mean like…officially?”

Veronica hesitated a moment, were they? It felt like it to her, the way he treated her wasn’t exactly casual. They hadn’t said that they were yet, but she really hoped they were.

“I…I’d like to think so. I mean we haven’t really come out and said it, but it seems implied. Granted I don’t want to assume anything, but…I think it’s safe to say that we’ve gotten past the whole casual aspect,” she smiled.

Nick narrowed his eyes, his anger rising suddenly; he ran a hand through his hair in frustration suddenly, squeezing his eyes shut.

“Wow, that’s great Veronica.”

“Yeah, things are really looking up.”

He felt sick, he felt sick and lost. It was almost as if he didn’t know her anymore, as if…he’d lost her. Slowly he opened his eyes, staring out the window again.

“I’m gonna get going ok? Have fun tonight.”

“Nick? Are you ok?”

“Yeah, I’m fine.”

“Are you sure? You don’t sound ok.”

“I promise sweetie, I’m cool. You take care and I’ll talk to you soon.”

“Alright, take care Nick and good luck with your concert tonight. Tell the guys and everyone I said hi.”

Nick smiled sadly, “I will. Bye Veronica.”

“Bye!”

He flipped his phone closed and flopped back on the couch, staring up at the ceiling. She was slipping away suddenly, he really was losing her.