- Text Size +
Chapter 13


Nick made his way out the door and into the warm sun, an extreme difference from the air-conditioned post office. He fumbled with the key to his new post office box, trying to hook it onto his key ring. Still, he was shocked at himself for doing it; it really wasn’t like him and not the normal thing to do. Celebrities don’t get post office boxes to keep in touch with fans; they just didn’t do that. Nick always knew he was different though, and sometimes he didn’t think it was in the good way. If anyone found out about this, he wouldn’t hear the end of it, but screw it, he didn’t give a fuck. It really was no one’s business but his. As long as he didn’t give out his home address and this person, Veronica, didn’t give out his box number, he’d be safe. Sighing he opened the door to his truck and slipped in. He wasn’t being logical though, what were the odds of her not giving the address out? He could ask her not to, but that didn’t mean she had to listen, and he was almost certain that she wouldn’t. No matter though, if it got out of hand, he’d close the box down, simple as that.

A short time later, he made his way into his driveway, and then into his house, making sure the gate was closed. Quickly he made his way up to his room and over to his bed, getting the letter and a pen and finished writing, adding his P.O. box to the bottom of the letter and stuffing it into the stamped and addressed envelope she’d sent along. He’d pop it in the mailbox when he went out again today. He tossed the envelope on the nightstand and then grabbed his phone, dialing.

“Hello?”

“Hey ma.”

“Hello Nickolas.”

He hated when she called him that hated it!

“So, how are you? How are things going?”

“I’m alright, and things are lousy, thanks for asking.”

“Ma…”

“Well you wanted to know didn’t you?”

He’d try a different tact.

“Well, how is everyone? I know BJ was feeling kinda sick here lately.”

“She’s better, but barely talking to me.”

“I’m sorry Mom. Leslie said you’ve been having a hard time.”

“I’m a mess, your Father is being unreasonable, have you heard the things he’s been saying about me?”

“Mom, I’m trying hard not to…”

“Oh sure, take his side. He’s already turned Aaron and your Sister against me, now you.”

“Mom, I’m not against you, I’m not taking sides.”

“It sure seems like it,” she snapped.

Nick sighed, he didn’t need this right now, he really didn’t. “Mom, look someone’s at the door, I have to go.”

“Fine.”

“I’ll call you later then huh?”

“Sure Nickolas.”

“Bye Mom, I love you.”

“Love you too.”

And with that she hung up.

He set the phone down and flopped back on his bed. He felt bad for lying, but he just didn’t know how to deal with all of this, so he wasn’t. Nick did whatever he could to not deal with it. It was most effective for him to act like it wasn’t happening, like it wasn’t his family and just focus on anything else. He really couldn’t talk to anyone about it; he didn’t want to bother them. There was always AJ, but he just didn’t know. Not that AJ hadn’t tried to talk to him about it, but Nick just kind of blew him off, he didn’t want to elaborate on it and he most certainly didn’t want anyone walking on egg shells around him like he was going to fall to pieces or something. No, he was fine, just fine.

Sitting up, he made his way back downstairs, grabbing his keys and making his way out. He’d go out and forget, just like he always did.