- Text Size +
Chapter 15


Nick stumbled into the house, the girl under his arm giggled and swayed drunkenly, and he pulled her close to his side before bending over and kissing her deeply. God he was wasted, so wasted, and at this point he didn’t give a shit. He felt good, a slight buzz, no pain, the inability to think, it was perfect. This worked he found, whenever he wanted to get away from life, from whatever was bothering him. He’d go out and pretend everything was ok, and he was good at it, very good. Nick had wanted to stay out longer, but he was starting to feel a bit dizzy and that meant it was time to go home, besides he was as horny as hell.

Starting for the stairs, he paused when he saw the light on the answering machine blinking. Dragging the girl over with him, he stopped in front of the machine, staring blankly at it. He didn’t get a lot of messages anymore, people stopped calling him, he didn’t know why. It was ok, that too didn’t matter, not like he called anyone back anyway. Rubbing at his face, he looked down at the girl next to him and frowned, he couldn’t remember her name, Diane or Darlene, something like that. It didn’t matter, her name was the last thing on his mind at this point. Nick pressed the button hard and listened to the woman tell him he had one new message. He swayed, his stomach turning, he really needed to lay down, fuck, he needed to get laid period. Shaking his head, he waited for the beep and then a voice he really didn’t want to hear filled the room.

“Nick? It’s your Father, are you there? Pick up the phone…ok so you’re not there. Look, I just wanted to call and see how you were, I guess you’re out. I haven’t heard from you in so long, your Sister says you’re going to London to work on your next album. That’s great. I miss you, it’s been awhile since I’ve seen you or since we’ve talked. Anyway, I hope to hear from you soon. Give me a call before you leave or when you get there so that I know you’re safe and all. I love you, bye.”

There was another beep and then silence, Nick stared hard at the machine and then quickly hit the erase button, waiting to hear that his box was empty. There was no need to call his Dad, he didn’t want to call him. He didn’t want to have anything to do with any of them right now, especially his parents and all their fucked up shit. What he thought he could just come waltzing in and play the ever loving Father? Fuck it, he didn’t need that right now. Nick pressed the girl close to his side again and turned, heading for the stairs. He had more important things to do right now.