- Text Size +
Chapter 40


“Why don’t we take a hour for lunch you guys,” Kevin announced.

Nick sighed, pulling the headphones off. His focus wasn’t entirely there, so he was glad when Kevin made the announcement, not only that, he was starving. Rubbing at his head, he started out the booth and then out the door.

“Wait Nick!” Brian called.

He turned to find the guys staring at him.

“What?”

“C’mon Nick, let’s all spend lunch together, catch up. It’s been awhile since we’ve all been able spend time together,” Brian smiled.

Nick stared at them each in turn, a small smile on his lips.

“What is this?”

“Nothing, we just wanna talk. We’ll order Chinese and just talk and eat and whatever,” Howie shrugged, “Catch up.”

“Y’all can get Chinese, I’m gonna get me some McDonald’s,” AJ muttered.

“AJ, please.” Kevin groaned.

“What? I don’t like Chinese, you know that, Howie knows that,” AJ defended, glaring at Howie.

Howie smirked, clearing his throat.

“Guys, it’s just lunch. I’ll head home to eat and be back, you don’t have to worry about me not coming back,” Nick sighed.

“We’re not, we just wanna hang out, there’s no ulterior motive here,” Brian tried again.

Nick sighed, was it so wrong that he really didn’t want to hang out? Was it so bad that he just wanted to be alone?

“It’s not a big thing here Nick, why are you so deadset on avoiding us?” Kevin questioned.

Nick looked over at him, his eyes narrowed, “I’m not.”

“Fine, then you’ll have no problem with lunch,” Kevin finished.

He rubbed at his eyes, now he really couldn’t leave. “Alright, whatever.”

Kevin stared at him a moment before pulling his phone out. “Ok, what do you guys want?”

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Nick picked at his General Tso’s Chicken, only half listening to the conversation going on around him. Everyone was talking about all the great things in their lives, Howie with his foundation and AJ with his sobriety, Kevin with his Broadway endeavors and Brian his marriage. Again he let his thoughts wander.

It’d been a few days since he’d emailed Veronica back, unfortunately he hadn’t had the chance to check and see if she’d responded, he felt bad since he told her he’d try to check it more often. He’d just been so busy lately thought, between working on his album and making arrangements to work on the group album and hanging out with his friends, most of the time when he got home, he was too exhausted to do anything other than sleep. Nick looked at his band mates talking and laughing, no, he wasn’t ready to tell them about her, not yet.

He forked a piece of chicken into his mouth and chewed slowly. He really should get into the habit of writing her back quicker, it wasn’t very nice to keep her waiting. Nick didn’t have any doubt that she’d understand why it was hard for him to respond quickly, but it’s not like it took too long to drop her a quick line or anything. He’d do it tonight, tonight for sure.

“Nick?”

Slowly he lifted his head to find four pairs of eyes on him.

“Huh? What?”

“Where were you just then?” Howie asked between bites.

He shrugged, “Just listening.”

“Bullshit,” AJ grinned, wiping his mouth.

Nick smirked, setting his plate down.

“So, how’s the album going? Any easier than the first?” Brian asked.

“I guess, it’s coming along slowly. London was productive and all, but I’m thinking of just holding off.”

He didn’t know where that came from, and he hadn’t been thinking about it, in fact, it’d just slipped out.

“Oh? Why’s that?” Kevin asked.

“I wanna focus on our CD, last time everyone else was doing their own thing.”

“So?” Brian prodded.

“So everyone’s here, I wanna focus on this.”

“Who says you can’t do both?” Howie pressed.

“No one but…are you sure you guys are ok with this?”

“Why wouldn’t we be?” Kevin frowned.

“I remember last time.”

“That was just a fucked up situation all around man, I think we all handled it poorly,” AJ sighed.

Nick nodded, staring down at his shoes, he needed new shoes.

“So how’s things going with your family?” Kevin asked softly.

Nick sighed, “Fine.”

“Have they, ya know, told you anything about what’s going on?” AJ asked carefully.

“No.”

“Have you asked them what was going on?” Howie questioned, trying a different angle.

“No.”

“Do your Brother and Sisters under…” Brian started.

“They get it ok guys? Everyone knows! Just let it go!” Nick snapped.

Kevin sighed, “We care Nick, we just want to know what’s going on. Why won’t you talk to us about it?”

“Did it ever occur to you Kevin, that maybe I don’t want to talk about it? Did that thought ever cross your mind?” He spat.

“No,” Kevin replied frankly.

Nick just stared at him.

“We only want to help Nick, it helps to talk about this kinda thing, believe me I know.” AJ offered, smiling a bit.

“I know, and I appreciate it. I don’t want to harp on it though, I want to just forget about it.”

“It’s not gonna go away,” Howie replied softly.

He could pretend though couldn’t he?

“Have you seen your parents or your Brother or Sisters lately?” Brian asked quietly.

Nick sighed, “Yeah, I went to see them both.”

“So how’d it go?” Kevin asked encouragingly.

“Eh, I can’t be around either of them. They’re deadset on trying to get us on their sides and they’ve got nothing better to do than talk shit about each other. Fuck it, I’m sick of it.”

“I guess I’m kinda lucky, I wasn’t around my Dad to hear him say anything like that, and Mom never did,” AJ shrugged.

“Did you ask them when things would be finalized?” Brian offered.

“No, I tried to not talk about it.”

“What about…” Howie started.

“Just forget it guys ok? It’s done and over and I don’t wanna talk about it anymore. They can deal with their shit on their own.”

“Wait, what about your Brother and Sisters? Are they ok?” Kevin pressed.

“They’re fine Kev. I only saw BJ and she’s freakin’ pissed at me.” That hurt Nick more than he wanted to admit.

“Why?” AJ asked.

“Cause I haven’t been around. I get that, but…” he wandered off, shaking his head.

“She’s just upset, she’ll…”

“Enough, I don’t wanna talk about it anymore Brian, guys…drop it.” Nick stated, picking his plate and fork back up and continuing to eat, stopping the conversation.

The guys looked at each other, sighing heavily.