- Text Size +
A/N: I just wanted to say a quick thank you to those who've been sending me feedback, it's so appreciated. I'm trying to write, I'm currenly up to chapter 102 and I've been so tired at night that I'm not in the mood to write. I hope to get some done over the weekend. In the meantime, enjoy this chapter and please keep sending your comments and thoughts!

Chapter 93


Sighing softly, she slowly opened her eyes, blinking rapidly. Veronica couldn’t remember the last time she’d slept so well. A soft smile formed on her lips, the arm draped over her hip this time was welcomed, was comfortable. She shifted, starting to pull away, when that arm suddenly tightened, pulling her back against the hard warm body behind her.

“Wha?”

“Don’t…move,” came the groggy voice.

“Nick…”

“Don’t go anywhere.”

“I have to go to the bathroom, let go.”

“Veronica…”

“Nick, c’mon.”

“You coming back?”

She smiled a bit, confused as to why he was asking. “I’d planned on it.”

Nick let out a deep groan, “Mmm, you’d better.”

Veronica pulled away again and this time met with no resistance. She heard Nick sigh softly and turned to look at him; his eyes were closed and appeared to have fallen back asleep. Shaking her head, she slipped off the bed and headed into the bathroom. Why had he been so reluctant for her to leave? She was only going to the bathroom, she’d be back. It hit her suddenly, she’d left last time and hadn’t come back, he’d told her later that he’d wanted to cuddle, to wake up together. At the time she’d blown it off, it appeared that he’d been serious.

She made her way back out a few minutes later and slipped back into the bed, rolling back onto her side, when an arm snaked around her hip and pulled her back a bit. Veronica let out a soft squeal as she felt herself being pulled back and then suddenly rolled onto her other side so she was facing him.

“Mmm, better.”

“Nick, what are you doing? I thought you were asleep.”

“I am.”

“You are not.”

“Give me a minute, I will be,” a sleepy grin spread across his lips as he pulled her closer still, burying his face in the crook of her neck.

Veronica blinked, her eyes widening suddenly as his leg came up, draping possessively over her lower half. She went stock still when he shifted, nuzzling her neck, apparently getting comfortable against her, sighing heavily.

“God you smell so good.”

“I-I do?”

“Mmmm.”

She struggled to fight off the nervous laughter that bubbled up in her throat when he gave her a gentle squeeze and stilled. Veronica could feel the moment he fell asleep, his body relaxed and his breathing evened out, and yet she just lay there trying to figure out how he’d managed to wrap himself around her body. They were entwined and tangled together in a heap of arms and legs. Amazingly enough she didn’t feel closed in, she felt no need to bolt, in fact, she felt tired and completely comfortable, comfortable and relaxed. Yawning softly, her eyes slowly closed and she drifted off, her head resting on his shoulder, her arm wrapped around him.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

She opened her eyes to see Nick sitting up, rubbing at his eyes, stretching.

“Mmm, morning,” she whispered.

Nick turned to look at her, smiling suddenly, “Morning baby,” he leaned down, kissing her forehead gently. “Sleep well?”

“Like a baby, god you’re comfortable,” she moaned, slowly sitting up.

He smiled wider, “See what you were missing? Should’ve done this the first time.”

“Yeah yeah, whatever Carter,” she stretched and then yawned.

“Well I slept great thank you very much.”

“Glad to hear it, would you like some breakfast?”

“Mmm, I am kinda hungry.”

“Alright, I’ll get started on it.”

“I wanna help,” Nick exclaimed, slipping out of the bed.

Veronica chuckled, “Sure thing.”

After breakfast, they finished the dishes and Veronica grabbed the phone.

“Can I ask who you’re gonna call?”

“My Dad.”

“Oh yeah?”

“Yeah, I think it’s time we had a talk.”

“Would you like me to ya know…leave?”

“Nah, it’s cool, you’re part of the reason I have the nerve to do this, actually a lot of the reason,” she smiled, turning the phone on and pressing the number she had set for her dad.

“Hello?”

“Hey dad.”

“Well hello, to what do I owe the pleasure?”

“I just wanted to talk, to see how things were going,” she looked over at Nick and he gave her an encouraging smile.

“Oh, well things are going alright, just trying to get over this cold, it’s been hanging on.”

“Aww, maybe you should go to the doctors.”

“Yeah, I’m gonna call and set up an appointment.”

“Good, let me know what happens.”

“I will. Is your boyfriend still over?”

Veronica sighed, “He’s not my boyfriend dad.”

Nick frowned, looking away.

“Well is he?”

“Yeah he’s here till Friday.”

“Oh, so what have you two done?”

“Just hung out, showed him around Wegmans and we went to the mall and some clubs and stuff, just did whatever.”

“Aren’t you a little embarrassed taking him to Wegmans?”

“Well it is where I work dad.”

“I know, but if you’d did like I said, you could’ve shown him some place nicer.”

“Dad…”

“Hey I’m just saying.”

“I know but…Wegmans as lousy as it is sometimes, it is where I work. It’s how I earn money. I know it’s not as glamorous as you’d like, but it’s the best I can do for right now.”

He sighed, “I know Veronica, it’s just you can do so much better. What about what you went to school for?”

“I know I know, but you’re going to have to trust me dad. I’m working on it ok? Don’t worry, I know what I’m capable of and what I can do and Wegmans is not going to be a career for me. Please just trust me.”

“I do trust you, I do.”

“Then say it more ok? I know you want a lot for me and all, and I want it too. That said I need you to not…not…be so adamant on making me feel bad for what I am doing. I need you to support me no matter what.”

“You know I do.”

“Then tell me. Instead of saying what I should be doing or asking why I’m not doing it, support what’s happening now, help me to accomplish the things I need to, but supporting my choices, not just in my work but in my personal life and whatever too.”

Her dad sighed.

“Ok, I’ll try.”

“Thanks.”

“So what about this guy? You say he’s not your boyfriend, do you want him to be?”

Veronica looked over at Nick, who suddenly looked at her and she looked away, “I dunno.”

“What? Is he a bad person?”

“No, it’s not that it’s just…”

“Just what?”

“I’m not…not his type,” she mumbled, turning so her back was to Nick.

Nick raised an eyebrow, not his type huh.

“Well ya know, like I told you, guys don’t like chubby girls.”

“Dad…”

“I’m just telling you the truth.”

“It’s not the truth, it’s not always the way it is dad. Why do you say things like that? I’ll never be stick thin, and why would I want a guy that wants me to change for him? Shouldn’t I be good enough just as I am?”

“You are, I never said you weren’t. I’m just trying to tell you…”

“No you want me to look how you think I should look. Granted, I’m no great catch, but there’s nothing seriously wrong with me. Yeah I’m slightly chubby dad, but me losing weight should be because I want to, cause I need to. Not to get guys to like me,” Veronica stated firmly.

“I never said…look I’m sorry ok?”

“I don’t want you to be sorry. I want you to be proud of who I am and how I am and have that be enough. No more little digs about my weight and about what guys find attractive. When I can find a guy who likes me for who I am regardless of how much I weigh, then I can date. When it doesn’t matter, when I can do it for me. I can’t keep trying to change for everyone else, otherwise it’s not worth it. Can you understand that?”

“I’m sorry; I just don’t want you to get hurt.”

Veronica sighed, “You saying all that hurts more than any guy saying it to me ever could. I need you to make me feel beautiful, no matter how I look or how much I weight.”

“Aww you are though.”

She bit her lip, “It’d be nice to hear it once and a while.”

He sighed, “I’ve been a lousy dad huh?”

“No, I get that you want what’s best for me and you think you’re doing good but, it’s different when you’re the one hearing it. I just need you to support me no matter what ok?”

“I will, I’m sorry.”

“It’s alright.”

Nick listened, his heart swelling. She’d actually done it, he was very proud of her.

“Well I’m gonna let ya go, gonna get some sleep.”

“Ok, but call me after you see the doctor ok?”

“Yeah, I will.”

“Alright, I love you dad.”

“I love you too Veronica, talk to you soon.”

“Ok, bye!”

“Bye.”

Veronica hung up, smiling softly. That had gone a lot better than she’d hoped. Turning she found Nick grinning widely.

“Good job.”

She blushed, “Thanks.”

He made his way over to her, pulling her into his arms, “I’m proud of you. You stood up for yourself, said what needed to be said. Do you think things will change?”

“Well I hope so, he seemed to get it. We’ll see I guess.”

Nick gave her a tight squeeze, “God I’m so proud of you. I know how hard that was.”

Veronica smiled, resting her head on his shoulder, “Yeah it was, but I feel so much better now that I’ve done it.”

“That’s the whole point. Well if you don’t mind, I’m gonna hop in the shower.”

“Alright, I gotta make another call anyway. Thanks Nick.”

“Nothing to thank me for,” he gave her a quick kiss on the cheek before turning and heading over to his bag.

Veronica picked up the phone again, pressing the preset number for Lynne.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

“I can’t believe you did it…with Nick Carter! Veronica!”

“I know I know!”

“How…I mean…”

“It just ya know…happened. And I felt and still feel like a major hypocrite after telling him I wasn’t that kind of girl.”

“Did he make you feel guilty or something?”

“No not at all, in fact he was really cool about it. He never pressured me and he kept telling me I didn’t have to but…I wanted to, I really wanted to. It was different this time.”

“Oh Veronica.”

“I don’t know what’s going to happen now. I don’t want him to lose respect for me, though he hasn’t treated me any different. He hasn’t made any comments or suggestions as to wanting to…ya know, do it again.”

“Well that’s a relief.”

“It is?”

“Of course it is! Look Veronica, you don’t want him using you to get his rocks off. What happened was nice and all I’m assuming, but it’s not something he should get used to. That’s not how you are. You‘re not the kind of girl he‘s used to, remember that V. He‘s a celebrity, used to using women and tossing them aside.”

Veronica frowned, “I guess.”

“God, I still can’t believe you did it. “

“Me either, and funny thing is…I don’t regret it, not for one minute. Oh sure, I may have had a mini breakdown in the bathroom and kind of blew him off after…”

“Wait wait, you blew him off?”

“I panicked!”

Lynne chuckled, “Gave him a taste of his own medicine huh?”

“Well…”

“I bet he didn’t like that, was he an ass to you?”

“No, he seemed…well actually he seemed kinda hurt.”

“Yeah well it’s one thing to do the blowing and quite another to be blown.”

There was dead silence for a good five seconds.

“That didn’t come out right at all,” Lynne giggled.

“You’re so nasty,” Veronica laughed.

“You know what I mean!”

“Well I talked to my dad just now, finally got things out in the open about how I was feeling and the things he says.”

“Did you? How’d it go?”

“Pretty good, hopefully things will change a bit now.”

“Good for you girl, I’m proud of you.”

“Yeah, I’m proud of me too,” Veronica smiled.

“As you should be.”

“Look I’m sorry for not calling all this week, we’ve been pretty busy.”

“So it seems,” Lynne teased.

“Whatever.”

“It’s alright; I’ve been busy with work. We’ll have to get together soon.”

She hung up with Lynne a short time later, and a few minutes after, Nick made his way out of the bathroom. Veronica watched him intently as he carried his dirty clothes over to his bag; his hair was still slightly damp and clung to his head in would should’ve been an innocent way. But for Veronica, it was more of a turn on than she would’ve liked to have admitted.

Looking away, she frowned; she was in way over her head.