- Text Size +
“Shuddup, of course I like having a normal lunch and all, but still...” He trailed off, stabbing at the poor fry again.


“Yeah, but this isn’t really normal to you either, is it? I mean, you are used to being mobbed since you were what, thirteen? And now suddenly you aren’t. Go figure, it’s going to be a little weird for you till you get at least somewhat used to it.” I said gently. I didn’t know what to say about missing the guys because there wasn’t anything we could do about it. I had to admit, I did too. I missed Howie’s support and quiet compassion. I missed the feisty ribbing I would exchange with AJ whenever we got the chance. I even missed Kevin acting all “father-like.” Of course I missed Brian probably the most. I had gotten used to spending about every breakfast in his room, plus the other random times during the day. He was way to easy to talk to and one of the few in my life that knew some of my secrets. Not to mention he helped me keep Nick in line. I had to smile at the last thought cause it did take both of us.


“What?”


I was interrupted from my thoughts when I looked up from my own now-mushed fry that was in my hand. Nick was watching my expression.


“You just went from a really sad look so grinning all smugly. What’s that all about?” He asked.


I shook my head.


“Don’t give me that.” He said warningly.


Now I laughed. “Okay fine, geez. Just cause I can badger you to death to tell me something doesn’t mean you can do it to me too.” I teased. Then my smile faded a little. “I was just thinking about what you said, I guess. I miss em too.” Geez, if I did, I couldn’t imagine how bad he must.


“We’ll get through this.” Nick patted my hand.


“Damn straight. Ready for the furniture place?” I had to keep from smiling at the look on his face.


“Why there first? Are you sure I can’t just go back to the hotel?” He was almost whining.


“Okay, but don’t complain when I pick you out one of those girly daybeds with pink sheets and a lacy dust ruffle.” I smirked when his jaw dropped.


“You wouldn’t!” He exclaimed.


“Try me hun.” I gloated at him, then grabbed my tray and drink cup and walked calmly over to the trash bin.


He scooped up his stuff and followed behind me, grumbling all the way. I was greatly amused, and even managed to forget about the high level of stress we were under. The trip to the furniture store was an absolute blast and I was in seventh heaven. I loved furniture and furniture shopping. At first I was trying to get stuff that was the absolute cheapest, but Nick assured me I didn’t have to be looking at the shabbiest stuff in there. I think he was already frustrated that we were looking at used furniture, but there was no way we could come to our “new home” with a bunch of new fancy furniture. We each got a bed and a dresser, a small kitchen table with a few chairs, a comfy couch, coffee table and a TV table. The store was going to deliver it all the next day which meant we were going to get to spend our first night on the floor. Fun...


The mall was a madhouse. It seemed like all the teenagers in the city were there and as soon as we stepped in we both tensed up. I know I did and I was equally as sure that Nick did and it made me wonder if we were sort of bouncing off each other.


“You okay with this?” I whispered.


Nick nodded uncertainly.


“Okay then, we can just start walking and stop in any store that we see that we want to go into. None of my clothes fit anymore and I don’t even know what happened to them anyway and you can’t wear yours. That would look weird, your clothes suddenly all disappearing when you ‘aren’t with us anymore’. Not to mention, if anyone is attentive enough to remember anything you ever wore...” I rambled.


“‘K.” Nick said, his eyes scanning the people that passed by. Of course, no one paid us a second glance. It was weird.


Things were fine in the first couple stores. We decided we didn’t want to split up so we took turns going into whatever stores looked appealing. By the third store, a very crowded American Eagle, things got rough. I had wandered to the girls’ side and was looking at some shirts when the tension hit me with a sudden fierceness. I turned quickly and looked around for Nick. When I saw him, my heart leapt into my throat.


“Nick, what’s wrong?” I blurted before thinking to use his alias. He was darting his eyes back and forth and breathing really fast.


“Need...to get...outta here...” He gasped, brushing by me.


“Shit!” I exclaimed softly, feeling his panic. A few heads turned our way as he rushed out of the store and I ran to catch up with him. Once we got outside of it, I pulled him to a bench off to the side and we both sank onto it. He leaned forward, putting his head in his hands, trying to breathe a little calmer. I didn’t say anything yet, just put my hand on his back and rubbed it softly.


“Sorry...” He finally said, barely audible.


“Don’t be. This was way too much. I should have known better than to try to come here at this time of day. I wasn’t really thinking.” Okay, I felt really bad.


“I don’t even know what happened. One minute I was fine, getting clothes...Then all of a sudden this girl looked at me and I thought she recognized me and I panicked.” He shook his head.


“Hun come on, a lot has happened in the past few days and you’ve got so much on you right now. It’s no wonder that this happened. Come on, we’ve already got some stuff and that will be enough for now. We can come back when it’s not so busy.” I suggested.


“Okay, but we still need to go to Walmart. We need the basics.” He said, sounding a lot calmer.


I nodded and we gathered our bags and headed to the car. Walmart was a breeze and even kinda entertaining. We got some “basics” like towels, kitchen stuff, some munchies, some pillows and blankets, a small stereo (for now) and two alarm clocks, toiletries, and some other odds and ends. We looked in the clothing area and found a few things like sweats and a couple tee shirts. For the hell of it we headed to the toy aisle and goofed around like a couple of ten year olds. Last, but not least, we went to the electronics area and got a television and a few CDs. I let Nick do all the check writing because I knew I would have a heart attack if I saw how much we had spent today.


Finally we were more than ready to go home. We were both ready to relax a little bit and watch some sitcoms on TV with a bowl of parmesan and popcorn. Neither one of us talked very much during the drive, each wrapped up in our own thoughts. Luckily when we got to the complex parking lot there was a space almost right in front of our apartment, making it easier to haul in all our stuff.


A half hour later we had arranged our blankets and pillows in front of the TV and had some popcorn in the microwave. “I’m changing.” I announced as I walked into my bare bedroom. My bags were sitting in the middle of the floor since I didn’t even have any hangers yet to hang my stuff up on. I could smell the popcorn so I picked up the pace before Nick got to all of it without me. When I walked out back into the living room I felt 25 lbs lighter. It was great.


“Whoa.” Nick glanced up from the bag of popcorn that he had just retrieved from the microwave.


I laughed. “Yeah that body suit makes quite the difference doesn’t it? I got pretty used to it, and now I feel weird like this. Almost like I could just start flying or something.”


“Ha! You probably could, lightweight!” He snickered.


“Ha ha.” I said dryly. “I can still take you.”


He widened his eyes then laughed. I watched as he proceeded to dump the parmesan on the popcorn and I was almost drooling. It’d been forever since I had this. He caught my look and turned away, arms wrapped protectively around the popcorn.


“None for you, Kat.” He said over his shoulder.


“Kat?” I asked, slowly advancing on the popcorn.


“Yeah...” He inched away.


I hissed at him and he cracked up. “You best share or I am gonna rip your arms off and beat you with them!” I threatened.


He laughed harder and darted into the living room, dropping in front of the TV. I followed suit and plopped down next to him. Before he could react I grabbed a huge handful and shoved it all in my mouth. He watched me in amusement and started to laugh all over again.


“Whfa sho hunnie?” I tried to ask.


“You pig.” He shook his head at me.


I jumped up. “I’m going to go get a newspaper. They had one of those things by the mailboxes. Be right back okay?”


Nick looked worried. “It’s dark though.”


“Nick come on, it’s not Lizz anymore remember?” I reminded him.


“You aren’t wearing your body suit.” He countered.


“Yeah, but like you said, it’s dark, who’s gonna notice? And I am just getting a paper.” I argued.


“Okay okay, but hurry back.” He relented.


I grabbed a handful of the change that Nick had taken from his pocket set on the counter before breezing out the door. I heard him call out “hey!” before I shut it and snickered to myself. I felt kinda weird going out in public without the bodysuit on, like I was breaking a major rule or something. Actually I kind of was, but I was also wearing black sweat pants and a dark sweatshirt so you wouldn’t really be able to tell anyway. There was only one guy at his mailbox anyway and I ignored him as I walked over to the newspaper stand and fed some change into it. Only, when I went to pull up on the little door it got stuck.


“Damn it.” I muttered. I jerked on the handle, but it wasn’t budging. Then I heard a deep laugh from behind me.


“Having some trouble there?”


My blood ran cold at that voice and I couldn’t even move. I was struck by paralyzing fear and all I could do was stand there helplessly.


Marcus.


He walked around the side of me, looking at the newspaper bin. I stared at him then looked all around, hoping to find someone else near. The area was poorly lit and there wasn’t a single person outside. I looked back to Marcus.


“Are you okay?” He gave me a funny look. Not a look of recognition, but a blank stare with a curious look to it.


He didn’t recognize me!!! My legs went weak with the sudden realization and only then did I realize I was trembling. “Uh, yeah, I just don’t feel very good I guess.”
I said softly.


“Yeah, you look a little pale, you oughta be inside getting some rest.” He said almost nicely. It made me wonder what he meant by “being inside.” Holy shit, what if he was trying to hit on me?! I staggered backwards.


“You’re right, I think I better be going now.” I stepped back again and then turned around.


“Yeah, but aren’t you forgetting something?” He called.


I choked back a sob. Here it came, I was dead. The whole thing was ruined and I had just put Nick in danger. Again. I turned to face him, shaking like a leaf.


“You forgot your paper.” He smiled at me, handing out the paper he had managed to dislodge from the bin.


“Uh, thanks.” I took it with a shaking hand. I did manage to smile before I turned away and started walking. I purposely went in the opposite direction so he wouldn’t know where to find me. Besides I couldn’t go back inside just yet. I was an absolute wreck and I didn’t want to tell Nick about this just yet. He had already had a rough day and I didn’t want to freak him out any worse.


I was still shaking so bad I thought my legs would give out from under me. I’d managed to keep myself from crying at least. He lived here?! How could I have managed to pick the one apartment complex in the whole damn city that he lived in? And how did he even afford it here? He was still wanted by the FBI and everything. But, now that I thought of it, he looked kind of different too. I didn’t recognize him, it was his voice that clued me in. I was still shocked he didn’t recognize me, but I didn’t even look like myself anymore so I guess he shouldn’t have been able to. Hell, Nick and I were in the same elevator as the guys and they didn’t notice either one of us so Marcus shouldn’t have either. When I was convinced that he was gone, I headed back to the apartment.


“What the hell took you so long?!” Nick stared at me when I walked in the door.


“Uh, I wanted to look around a bit.” I lied.


“Bullshit. What’s wrong Lizz, you look upset.” He said a little more softly.


“Ah, its just I was thinking about everything.” I tried to cover.


He didn’t look convinced, but let it drop for now. I dropped the paper on the counter and wrapped myself up in the blanket on the floor. Nick watched me for a minute, but didn’t say anything. Halfway through the next sitcom my eyes started to grow heavy and before I knew it, I was asleep.

~*~*~*~


I shot straight up in my covers and looked wildly around the room. What had woken me up? The TV had been turned off and the only light in the room was coming from the small sliver under the bathroom door that we had left on.


There it was again! It was at the door. I glanced at Nick, who was sleeping a couple feet away from me. I crawled over to him and shook his shoulder. “Nick, wake up!” I hissed.


The doorknob jiggled and I heard the familiar sound of the lock turning. I jumped to my feet unsure of what to do. We didn’t even have anything that could be used as a weapon. Hell, we didn’t even have any kitchen knives! Before I could move, the door flew open and Marcus stood there with a malicious grin on his face. I moved so I was standing between him and Nick. I wished he would wake up.


“You thought you could fool me with that cheapass disguise? Sorry Lizz, it didn’t work and now you are Carter are going to pay. Is that him behind you? Ha! Maybe I should kill him in his sleep. Or I could kill you first and let him watch helplessly. What do you think?” He sneered at me.


“You aren’t touching him you bastard.” I said in a low voice. At least it was dark and he couldn’t see how bad I was shaking.


Then everything happened at once. Nick woke up. Marcus lunged at me. I screamed.
Marcus had ahold of my arms and was trying to pull me away from where Nick was.


“What the hell?? Oh my god... Lizz!” He exclaimed as his expression went from confusion to shock to horror.


I struggled against Marcus as he pulled out a gun and aimed it at Nick. “Noooo!!!” I screamed as it fired.