- Text Size +


~*~*~*~*~


I heard AJ’s foul mouth when I woke up. My first thought was ‘why the hell are they in my room when I’m trying to sleep’ which was quickly replaced by the reality of the fight I had with Marcus and Brian and Lizz being kidnapped.

“Hey,” I croaked. My voice still sounded for shit, I knew it was something I would have to definately work on again once this mess was overwith.

“Shit, Nick, stay down,” AJ said quietly as he rushed up to the bed and stared down at me.

“No, we have to save Lizz and Brian,” I protested with a waivering voice as I struggled to sit up.

“Marcus knocked you out, you probably have a concussion,” Kevin stated.

“I’m fine,” I said as I ignored the pounding headache when I sat up.

“Okay, what year is this?” Howie quizzed.

I narrowed my eyes at him, trying to think of the year. I couldn’t remember that so I replied as best as I could. “Fuck you.”

“Okay, how about the president and the vice president?” Howie pressed.

“That would be fuck you and fuck you,” I stated dryly.

“He’s checked out okay from his own standards,” Howie declared.

The phone started ringing and I didn’t hesitate when I reached over and grabbed it off the hook. “Yeah.”

“Who’s this?” the man with a bad New Jersey accented demanded.

“I don’t have time to play fuckin games, you know exactly who this is. Where the hell are you, I’m turning myself over to you in exchange for Lizz and Brian. Tell me where you are and I’ll meet you with Marcus.”

“I see that someone in the group finally has some sense,” Vinnie gushed. “Okay, we’re in the basement of a place on Houser Street. 829 Houser Street. No funny business Carter, got me? Anything happens and your buddy here will get more of this.”

Vinnie didn’t say anything but I got the gist of it when I heard a fist landing on flesh and Brian’s muffled cry out from the pain.

“I’ll take care of this, please don’t do anything else to them, save your energy for me, you’re gonna need it,” I stated quickly.

“Hurry, don’t make your friends wait,” Vinnie sneered and clicked off the cell phone.

I slammed the phone down and turned to leave when Howie stepped in front of me. Determined, I stepped around him but he stepped to the right with me.

“Get out of my way Howie.”

“Nick, you can’t go there, he’ll kill you,” Kevin reasoned.

I turned to face Kevin. “If that’s what they both want, I have to do this to protect my friends.”

“And die in the process?”

“If that’s what’s needed to protect them, then that’s the way it has to be.” Setting my jaw, I stepped around Howie and over to where Marcus laid.

AJ stepped up. “You’re not going alone.”

Both Howie and Kevin indicated that they would be going with me too.

“Thanks guys,” I whispered.

~*~*~*~*~


After Vinnie hung the phone up, he balled his fists up and delivered another blow to Brian’s stomach. Brian dropped to his knees, coughing and gasping for air.

“STOP IT!” Lizz cried out. “WHY ARE YOU DOING THIS TO HIM?”

Brian looked over at Lizz as he gasped for air. He mouthed the word “quiet” in between coughs but the stubborn streak she possessed wouldn’t allow her to be quiet.

“You’re wearin’ on my nerves, SHUT THE FUCK UP!” Vinnie hissed as he backhanded Lizz across the cheek. “Ya know, I’m just considering this a little warm up before Carter comes to rescue you two. I’ve got a bigger surprise for him.”

Vinnie’s gaze hardened as he produced a shiny gun. “I’ve been waiting to use this for some time, this will be fun.”

final update: 5/5/01

“No! You’ll have to kill me first!” I cried, my voice shaking. Vinnie’s blow had knocked me off my feet and I laid on the floor, my cheek burning. It was the same one he had hit earlier.

“I might do that.” Vinnie threatened, aiming the gun at me.

“No, please don’t. She’ll...” Brian pleaded, only to get cut off by Vinne.

“She’ll shut up is what she’ll do.” Vinnie snapped, still holding the gun at me. He cocked the lever and stepped over to where I had managed to pull myself to where I was at least sitting instead of laying down. I was paralyzed with fear as I watched him press the gun up against my forehead.

“NO!” Brian shouted, moving towards us, only to get knocked away from another blow from Vinnie.

“BOOM!” Vinnie shouted, causing me to jerk violently. He snickered and started to walk away. As he passed Brian, he kicked him spitefully in the side. “I think we are expecting company, stay out of trouble kiddies.” He sing-songed before he slammed the basement door behind him.

“Are you okay?” I whispered, crawling over to Brian.

He was laying on the ground still, one arm wrapped around his side. “Are you ever going to learn Lizz?” He asked wearily.

“I’m scared.” I whispered.

“I know, so am I.” Brian agreed softly.

~*~*~*~*~

Nick tried unsuccessfully to swallow the lump that had formed in his throat. He was riding in Jordan’s unmarked car with Kevin and Marcus. AJ and Howie were riding with McKnight in his unmarked car.

“What if something goes wrong?” Nick asked again.

Kevin sighed. Just like the first two times Nick asked that question, he didn’t know how to answer it. There was a very big possibility that something could go wrong. He was totally uncomfortable with the plan, but he knew that there was no other way around it. After all, he wasn’t even supposed to be there. Marcus was still out of it, cuffed in the back seat with Kevin. Nick twisted around in his seat.

“Well whatever happens, I don’t care as long as Brian and Lizz get out of there okay.” Nick stated stubbornly.

“We’re getting you out too.” Kevin said softly.

“Okay, we clear on the plan?” Jordan tried to keep any traces of how nervous he felt out of his voice. “Let’s go through it one more time. Carter, since you are supposed to be alone, you and Marcus will go in there. If things go as planned, Brian and Lizz should be released shortly after you go into the house. Then, we will go in after you.”

“What if they aren’t released?” Kevin countered.

Jordan suppressed a groan. “This is where it gets tricky. We don’t want to barge in there too soon. If Vinnie plans on releasing them and we show up too soon, it could endanger everyone. We will wait about 20 minutes for signs of them before going in. You both understand?”

Kevin and Nick nodded solemnly. Fifteen minutes later they were about four houses down from the address Vinnie had supplied. McKnight drove his car to four houses on the opposite side and parked. The tinted windows kept the three inside from being seen and nothing looked out of the ordinary. Jordan and Kevin hefted Marcus out of the car and leaned him up against the wooden fence that his the side of someone’s yard. Nick got out slowly, his movements stiff from the beating he took. Not to mention he hadn’t gotten enough rest to replenish his energy from the seizure. He looked exhausted still, but determined.

“Alright, we are going to go back to the car. As soon as we get in, try to wake Marcus up and tell him...”

“...we were brought by a taxi, I know, I know.” Nick cut Jordan off impatiently.

Jordan didn’t say anything, noting the stress the young man was under. “We will give you twenty minutes from when you get inside. If Brian and Lizz aren’t out, we are going in.”

Nick nodded. Kevin stepped forward and wrapped him in a quick hug. “Good luck Nick.” He said softly, his voice choked with emotion.

“Thanks.” Nick tried to smile, not only to reassure Kevin, but to reassure himself.

Kevin and Jordan walked back to the car, getting in silently. Jordan pulled into the driveway across the street and killed the engine.

“I have great misgivings about this.” Kevin said, rubbing his eyes, watching Marcus and Nick.

“Get up! Marcus wake up!” Nick nudged Marcus again.

Marcus groaned and finally opened his eyes. “What the hell is going on here?” He snarled. “Where the hell am I?”

Nick took a deep breath. “We are almost in front of Vinnie’s house. It’s after three am. Vinnie has Brian and Lizz and he said he will trade them for me. You win Marcus. When they are safe, you can do whatever you want with me.”

Marcus took a couple minutes to let it all digest. “And how did we get here?”

“Taxi.”

Marcus seemed satisfied with that reply. “Okay then Carter, what are we waiting for?” He pulled himself to his feet and Nick stood up with him. Without warning he pulled a knife out of his pocket and thrust it at Nick. “No playin any shit Carter.” He warned. Nick almost laughed. “I surrendered myself to you, doesn’t that pretty much say I am going to cooperate, dumbass?” He snapped.

Marcus let that one slide. “Let’s go.” They walked slowly towards the house and Marcus banged on the door.

A moment later, the door opened a crack and Vinnie poked his head out. “You two alone?”

“Yes.” Nick lied.

Vinne swung the door open and swooped his hand in greeting. “See what I tell you about drinking so much Marc? This has been such as hassle.” He turned and punched Nick. “That’s for the hassle. Your friends are a pain in the ass, especially Lizz.”

Nick didn’t reply, but rubbed his jaw gingerly.

“You know we aren’t turning them loose don’t you?” Vinnie sneered.

“What?! That was the deal. We are trading me for them!” Nick pleaded. “Please, let’s just stick with the plan.”

Marcus snorted. “Two for one isn’t even a fair trade. How about we let one of them go. Which one would you pick Carter?”

Nick visibly paled. “No...no, I can’t. You can’t make me choose.” He stammered.

Marcus and Vinnie both cracked up. “Oh don’t worry, neither one of them are leaving. I just wanted to see you shit your pants. ” Marcus smirked at how easily he managed to shake up Carter.

“Let’s take him to his friends and we can figure out our plan after that.” Vinnie suggested.

Marcus nodded and grabbed Nick’s arm roughly. Nick tried to remember every detail about the house he was in. At first it surprised him that they hadn’t bothered to blindfold him. Then his heart dropped when he realized he wouldn’t be leaving.

~*~*~*~

Brian and I had moved over to the cot as soon as Vinnie had left us. I was worried to death about Brian. He didn’t look like he was faring too well and Vinnie’s repeated blows didn’t help matters. The door banged open, startling us yet again

. “Got someone here who wants to see you!” Vinnie grinned as he came through the door. I held my breath and then gasped when Nick stumbled onto the landing. Marcus appeared behind him, grinning maliciously. Instinctively I shrank back.

“My God...” Brian murmured, getting up as fast as he could. Marcus gave another shove and Nick tumbled down the short flight of steps.

“Nick!” I cried, rushing towards him, my fear of Marcus forgotten. We both reached Nick and dropped down to him. The fall stunned him and he blinked repeatedly, trying to clear his vision.

My heart ached as my eyes fell on his bruises and scrapes. I brushed my fingers over his throat, dark bruises in the shape of fingers wrapping around it. “You bastard!” I hissed. “What did you do to him?” I glared up at Marcus.

When he got a look at me, his jaw dropped. “You’re Lizz?! Holy fuck, all this time...it was you!!”

I glared back up at him. “All along.” I agreed.

“Nick, come on buddy.” Brian had one of Nick’s hands, in his own. “Can you get up?” Brian was looking back and forth worriedly between Nick and the expression on Marcus’ face when he recognized me.

Vinnie looked shocked as well. “Wait wait wait! Is this the bitch you were talking about?!”

Marcus nodded wordlessly. Then he turned to Vinnie and began talking heatedly.

“Are...you guys...okay?” Nick whispered, the wind knocked out of him from the fall.

“We’re fine. We just have to find a way out of this mess.” Brian whispered.

“Nick, Vinnie has a gun. He...” I whispered urgently, but stopped, unable to finish.

Brian and I carefully pulled Nick up. “Marcus said he isn’t going to let you guys go.” Nick said, his voice full of despair. “The rest of the guys, plus two cops are waiting outside. They said they are coming in if you guys aren’t out there in twenty minutes.”

Brian widened his eyes. “I don’t have a good feeling about this.”

“Time for a little fun.” Marcus suddenly announced as he started walking down the stairs towards us. Before I could react he grabbed my arm, jerking me with him as he started back up the steps. “NO!” I cried, panicking.

“LET HER GO!” Nick hollered, charging at Marcus. I turned to see both him and Brian coming to my defense.

“I think not.” Vinnie stated as he jumped in front of Nick, gun pointed.

“Stop please! You got what you want. Don’t do this!” Nick pleaded. The look of horror in his eyes matched the terror I was feeling.

“Hey, I have a better idea. How about we let them watch!” Marcus laughed. He shoved me up against the wall of the basement, making me gasp. I struggled against him, but he was too big. “Come on Lizz, you know you want this.” He breathed in my face, pressing his body up against mine.

“No! Let me go!” I screamed. I managed to shift myself enough to get my foot free and I kicked his shin with all my might.

“Damn it!” He groaned. “You want it rough, do’s ya?” He grabbed at the shoulder of my maid’s uniform and yanked hard. The tear Nick had made earlier was suddenly twice as big and falling off my shoulder. I struggled harder, but when I looked up, I ceased all movement.

With Vinnie aiming his attention at keeping Nick from killing Marcus, Brian wasn’t being watched. With a yell of anger, Brian launched himself airborne at Vinnie, effectively knocking them both on the ground away from Nick. The gun went skidding across the floor. Because of Brian’s already weakened condition, he had hurt himself when they both crashed into the floor. Vinnie took full advantage and further used his fists to add to the damage. Nick grabbed Vinnie and yanked him off the already unconscious Brian. Nick held Vinnie by the shirt with one hand and punched him hard with the other.

“Brian!” I cried, shoving away from Marcus. Being too distracted with what was going on behind us, Marcus didn’t stop me from backing away. The gun was to our left on the ground and I lunged at it.

“Oh no you don’t!” Marcus snarled, lashing out his fist at me. He had something in his hand, but I didn’t see what it was. Then the pain became very real and I stumbled back. I looked down and was amazed to see a stripe of blood quickly form slightly diagonally across my ribcage. The pain of it made me dizzy and I reached me hand back to the wall behind me to catch myself.

“Lizz! Are you okay?” The panic in Nick’s voice scared me a little and I wondered how bad it was. I gingerly put my other hand over the growing red spot and to my dismay, it was flowing freely.

“I - I...” I gasped. I broke away from the gaze I held with Nick to see Marcus bending over and grabbing the gun.

Nick looked up from Vinnie’s slumped form and his eyes grew to saucers. Marcus had righted himself and was aiming the gun straight at Nick’s heart. “Say good-bye Carter.” He said flatly, pulling the trigger.

Without even realizing what I was doing, before Marcus had even aimed the gun, I was moving. I threw myself at Marcus and grabbed his arm just as the gun fired. I watched in horror as Nick crumpled to the ground, his face a mask of pain. Everything moved in slow motion and just before Nick hit the ground, his eyes met mine. Never, would I forget the look that was in his eyes, just before they closed. I don’t even know how to describe it, but it broke something deep inside of me.

“Nick! No!” Sobs choked my throat. “Oh God, please! NICK!”

Marcus stood there, unable to believe that he had just done it. He had fatally shot Carter. Just like that it’s all over, Marcus thought, staring in wonderment.

My body, coursing with rage and grief, took control of itself. I was merely trapped inside as it lunged again for the gun. This time, however, I made contact and my fingers wrapped around it. Marcus was caught totally off guard, but regained his senses quickly. We struggled for possession of the gun and I barely heard new voices behind me. Voices that screamed for Marcus to surrender the gun. Voices crying out in despair for my two fallen friends.

Somehow in the struggle of the gun, it ended up between us. And it went off. Marcus’ looked at me in shock then at the red stain that manifested on his chest. I stared back, not comprehending. But...how? My hand wasn’t even on the trigger. How could I have shot him? But there he was, falling to the ground, blood already pooling around him. I dropped my hold on the gun and it clattered to the floor. Again the fire in my ribs reminded me that I was hurt and I stumbled, my vision blurring.

“I got you Lizz.” A voice came, a hand steadying me.

Nick“ I choked, jerking away from the help behind me. I lurched forward, wavering unsteadily. Another pair of hands gently steadied me and I dropped to Nick’s side. Oblivious to the growing number of people around us, I fell forward, throwing myself across Nick, sobbing uncontrollably. Then I promptly passed out.