- Text Size +
*ONE YEAR LATER*

"Miss Richards, I am very pleased with your column this month and i have seen a huge improvement in your work over this past year. I would like to offer you a raise, and along with that I would like to extend your column into a two page spread. I think it would really boost Glamour's image. How does that sound to you?"

Elle stood in her boss' office first thing that Monday morning, completley shocked.

"Oh wow, I mean...thankyou." Elles face brightened at the thought of having her work over two pages in the magazine.

"So you'll take the offer then?"

Elle smiled, "Well yes! Thankyou so much, you have no idea how much this means to me."

Her boss stood up and shoook Elle's hand firmly.

"Now this doesn't start until the new year, but I would like to see a few of your ideas on my desk by the end of the day alright?"

Elle smiled, "Yes, of course. Thankyou."

She turned to walk out of her office.

"I'm really proud of you Elle, great work."

"Thankyou."

It had certainly been quite the year for Elle. it began with a new apartment in New York City, and continued with a year dedicated soley to her work. Elle worked all the time. When she wasn't working she was sleeping. She took her work from the office home everynight, worked on it unitl nine in front of the television, then checked her e-mail before going to bed early every night. A lot of her co workers urged her to come out with them and party on the weekends, but she always thanked them and said she was too busy. Elle didn't mind her everyday life, she had become accustomed to it and although it didn't always make her happy, it kept her mind off other things. That was until she tried falling asleep.

Elle knew leaving Howie would be the best thing for him. She was no good for him and her preoccupied mind only hurt him worse everday she stayed there. She did come to the conclusion that she did love him for the wonderful, giving man he is. She told him all this before he went to rehersal that horrible morning. The surprising thing was, he completley understood her and told her how much he loved her regardless of what she was doing. He told her he knew what she had to do and if it would make her happy then he would do it. She still cannot believe his his amazing heart to this day. She hated herself every second of the day for the mistakes and the stupid, selfish things she had done. But one thing was for sure...

Elle missed her best friend.
***

When the plane touched down in New York, AJ McLean had a smile on his face. He hadn't been this happy in a long time. He was meeting the Boys for some more recording and he was extremely excited about it. He had written a notebook full of songs and hoped to share some of his ideas with the guys. It had been one hell of a year for him, and after a break from his Backstreet duties for a few months, he was coming back with a clear head and couldn't wait to get back to work.

Suddenly AJ's phone rang, it was his mother. "Hey Mom."

"Hi Alex, have you landed yet?"

He smiled, "Yeah, we're just getting off right now."

"Well I hate to bring up an old subject, but you do know that Elle moved to New York City right?"

AJ's heart literally stopped in his chest. Shit. He had completley forgot, and he was actually not thinking of her, and he hadn't for quite some time.

"Oh...yeah."

"Well I doubt you'll have to worry about seeing her, the city is huge after all. I hear she's doing really well now though."

AJ shook his head trying to get out of the memory daze he was in, "She is?"

"Yeah she's got her own apartment, a pricey one too, she's really moved up. But anyway I just wanted to say good luck and have fun. Don't work to hard sweetie."

"Alright. Thanks mom."

"Love you."

"Love you too." AJ shut his phone. Oh great, just when he had come to the luxury of never thinking about her again, his own mother mentions she lives in the city now. And not only did she live there, she was doing well. But his mom was right, what were the chances of seeing her in a city full of thousands of people? Zero.

He did wonder though, if she really was doing any better.

A few hours later, AJ was checking in to the hotel where he would be staying for the next week, and he had finally convinced himself of the fact that he would not be seeing Elle. "There's no way," he kept telling himself.

AJ stepped off the elevator and started walking to his room, bags and suitcases in hand. "God I need to get a girlfriend," AJ smiled, thinking to himself. His eyes followed the back of a young woman who was dressed in a midlength black skirt, black high heels, and a short sleeve, black, button up top. He watched her body sway, and he couldn't help but smile. All of a sudden the woman shook her head and turned around, looking down at the paper in front of her. AJ stopped dead in his tracks, as a blank expression took over his face. The woman's head shot up to look ahead at the hallway of rooms, glancing quickly at AJ. Then she did a double take and stopped her tracks as well.

"Hi AJ."

AJ swallowed hard, "Hi Elle."