- Text Size +
8



The Day after Tomorrow…






The next morning found Brian walking slowly behind his brother as they went into their morning meeting. Every single day, first thing in the morning, Kevin would get his team together and go over the facts of the case before sending them all out in the field. It was something he learned from Rob. He felt like it refreshed everyone so they knew exactly what it was that they were working towards.



Unfortunately for Brian, this meant coming clean and telling his brother about what he had done. He thought about keeping the information to himself but then he knew it would come back to bite him and he had his whole career ahead of him to worry about. The last thing he needed was to be labeled a rebel, especially by his brother.



The one good thing was Kevin’s mood. He seemed to be in an uncharacteristically jovial mood. That might help in his cause. “So Kev…”



Kevin turned around to face his little brother just as they arrived at his office. “Yeah?”



Brian was going to tell him but instead went to AJ, “You think he’s really going to propose?”



“I don’t know Bri…I always hoped that I would be the first one to get married. Not my little brother.”



“Yeah same here, I can’t believe he’s beating us to the altar.”



“He might not be, he’s so nervous about it…I have a feeling he’s going to put it off. You know how we are? When we are nervous about things we procrastinate. Mom always said that was the biggest Richardson flaw.”



Brian let out a nervous laugh, “hehe yeah I know what you mean.”



Kevin placed the donuts he was carrying onto the table and then whistled for everyone else to join him inside. “I think we are going to get something today Bri…I can feel it in my bones. Something is going to jump right out at us.”



“I hope so.” Brian agreed, sitting on a chair off to the side and grabbing a donut. He would tell his brother about the mysterious man later.



Howie was the first one to enter; he looked to be in a great mood as well. “Good morning guys.” He pat his best friend’s arm as he passed him by and then took a seat next to Brian. The rest of the crew soon followed after. His team wasn’t that big, but bigger than the last high profile case he worked on. There were about six in all, most of them only on the force for a few years.



Kevin felt like such a veteran compared to the young ones. “Okay guys…here is the deal, I really believe that Anita Nicosia knows more than she let on about. So I would like someone to be in charge of watching her.



Brian immediately raised his hand, “I’ll do that.”



“Brian…I’d feel more comfortable if it was someone she wouldn’t recognize. She would know who you are.”



He nodded, knowing his brother was right. Kevin pointed to two of the other agents and gave them a folder with all of Anita’s information. “She has a daughter as well; we don’t have a very recent picture of her but keep an eye out.”



He paused as he took out another folder, “We also need to get more information on this mother and son killing. I feel like if we know more about them, we’ll really get to the bottom of who is doing this. I’d like you to work on that Howie and maybe Brian can tag along with you.”



Brian rolled his eyes, he couldn’t help it. He hated when Kevin used the term tagging along. It made him feel like he was just there watching instead of participating. Howie nodded and then smiled over at Brian.



“I’m going to stay here and go through our database to make sure there isn’t a related case we have overlooked. The rest of you need to continue finding out about the Jackson family. I mean, they look as squeaky clean as they come but there might be a deep dark secret there we have yet to uncover.” There were nods of agreement as Kevin handed each mini team their assignments.



As the team in charge of tailing Anita for the day left, Brian ran after them, “Hey Tom…be on the lookout for this car as well.” He said handing over the description of the car and the plate number, “It belongs to Anita but I saw a man coming out of it and going into her house.”



“I didn’t see that in any report.” Tom replied as he added that information into the file.



“That’s because it’s not in there.”



Tom winked at the younger Richardson, “Oh…I see. Okay we’ll be looking out for it.”



Brian nodded a silent thanks and made his way back into his brother’s office where now it was just Kevin and Howie drinking coffee and laughing about something. “He was so excited you should have seen him D. It was like he was a totally different kid.”



“What are you guys talking about?”



“Nicky…where were you?”



“Just outside the door…what about Nick? Our brother was happy about something?”



“Yes, he ran into Patty yesterday.”



“Wow, they hit it off again?” Brian smiled at the thought.



“Seems like it.”



“You ready to go Bri?” Howie asked grabbing one more donut for the road, “I was thinking we should go to Luis Camacho’s school and talk to some of his teachers.”



“Oh that’s a good idea D.”



“Yup, but it’s about a 45 minute hike so we should leave now.” Brian nodded and looked over to his brother, “Kev?”



“Yeah?”



Brian opened his mouth to mention what he had done but then chickened out, “Nothing…I’ll see ya later.”



“Okay…see you guys later. Be safe.”



The two agents walked out the door to start their day as Kevin sat at his computer looking through the database and hoping to find a clue.



~*~*~*~*~*~






“Richardson!” Nick rolled his eyes when he heard the familiar bellow of his name. It was barely 10 am and already he was being harassed. Should he turn around and speak to this Neanderthal or just ignore Patty’s boyfriend like he always did.



“Richardson!!” He turned around and patiently waited for Charlie to cross the long hall.



“I really think you’re deaf kid.”



“Call it selective hearing I guess.” Nick had his entire stack of books in his hands and was ready to throw them at the thug if the need arose.



“Look, I was thinking maybe since we now have a common bond…that you and I should try to make amends…what do you say?”



Nick thought about this for a few seconds, “You do know amends doesn’t mean kick the shit out of…right?”



“I’m not dumb kid.”



“Did Patty tell you to make nice with me?”



“No, I don’t have to do what my girl says; I’m just doing this because for whatever reason, you mean something to her.” The thought of meaning something to Patty lit something inside of Nick, deep within his nether regions. He was still leery of this sudden change of heart though.



“Maybe…that would be nice.” Nicky answered, smiling his most genuine smile.



“I’m meeting Patty over at Willie’s Diner, you should come to. Fresh start Richardson, what do you say?”



“I can’t today; I’m meeting up with my brother after school. Maybe another day though.”



Charlie nodded, “Okay dude…whatever. See ya around.” That being said, he walked away leaving Nick…mysteriously unharmed.



“Wow, he didn’t even knock my books over…” Nick said to himself just as the bell to his next class rang.





~*~*~*~*~*~*~






AJ stood in front of the mirror practicing what he would say to his girlfriend. He decided that tonight was the night he was going to do it. Sit her down to an exquisite meal, take her for a walk in the park and then get down on one knee and propose. He realized if he waited any longer he would never do it but the ring was burning a hole in his pocket. Just thinking about the ring, he took it out and looked it over letting out a deep breath as he did.



“Wow…I’m really going to do this aren’t I?”



“Who are you talking to?” the sound of Stacey’s voice startled him and as he jumped, the ring landed right in the sink.



“Shit! NO!” He said but before he could salvage it, there it went plinking down the drain.



“AJ what is wrong? Are you having a seizure or something?”



“God dammit! Uh…no everything is good babe, I’ll be right out.”



“Hurry, I have to get to work.”



“Okay…yeah in a minute.” In a fit of desperation he placed his head in the sink, not that doing that would help at all, but still.



“I can’t believe this, what a fucking loser I am!”



He took his head out of the sink and bat it against the tiled wall, “Well, at least now I have something for Nick to do when he gets here.” He said to himself as he walked out the bathroom door.



AJ was adamant about picking Nick up at school. He didn’t want that kid beating the crap out of his brother again and so help him if he tried. So for the next week or so, AJ insisted he be Nick’s ride home from school, also guaranteeing that the kid wouldn’t get himself into anymore trouble, if Nick was with him then they’d all know where Nick was. It was a simple equation really and even though the kid acted like it was the worst thing that could happen, secretly AJ knew that inside he was grateful.



“What were you doing in there?” Stacey asked as she grabbed him into a hug.



“You know…the usual.”



“Do you always talk to yourself when you shit? I need to know these things if we are going to maintain a serious relationship.”



“Who said anything about shitting?”



“You were in there an awfully long time…”



“I was in deep thought. I like to reflect first thing in the morning.”



“I’m dating a nut job, and it’s not first thing in the morning…it’s almost noon.” She said winking at him and kissing him on the cheek.



“That’s it? Not even any tongue?”



“Sorry babe…you are making me late.”



He slunk his head down, “Okay then…what time is your shift over today?”



“8!” She yelled from the bathroom as she turned on the shower.



“I’ll meet you at the station at 8 then.”



“Okay!”



AJ nodded, hoping he would find that ring later on and also hoping that this wasn’t fates way of saying ‘bad idea buddy.’





~*~*~*~*~*~*~




Howie and Brian spent most of the morning up until around lunchtime setting up small interviews with anyone who was friends with Luis Camacho. That wasn’t a very long list according to the guidance counselor and Principal. According to them, Luis spent most of his time all alone or suspended.



They were able to track down one girl who supposedly was his girlfriend at the time of his death, but of course she wasn’t anywhere near the school. The office gave them her address and there they sat, waiting patiently outside for someone to show up.



“I feel like most of my days are spent sitting inside this car just waiting for something to happen.” Brian confessed to a very bored Howie who was entertaining himself with a crossword puzzle. “I have to admit when I signed up for this job I pictured it more like Silence of the Lambs and less like Starsky and Hutch.”



“Brian…sometimes you just need patience. Believe me, otherwise you’ll go nuts.”



“I can’t picture my brother doing this; he is the most impatient person on the planet.”



“Not when it comes to his job he’s not.”



“That’s surprising; he’s the kind of guy that won’t wait in a Drive-thru line if there’s more than one car ahead of him.”



“Yeah I know, tell me about it...look, that’s her isn’t it?” Howie asked pointing over at the girl who was walking up the street.



Brian looked down at the picture he was given and then nodded, “Let’s go talk to her.”



They both exited the car and started walking towards the girl. When she saw the strange men approach, she quickly turned on her heel and started to run.



“Stop! FBI!” Howie yelled as he tried to pick up his pace to match the girl who was already around the corner. Brian’s heart started racing as he followed and quickly bypassed Howie.



“Freeze!” He yelled, but still the girl kept right on running.



She jumped over a fence and Brian quickly was doing the same, when he jumped down though he was met with a gun pointed right at his chest. “What do you want from me?” The girl asked in a shaky voice. Howie was now at the gate himself and drew his own gun, “Put the gun down NOW!” He said forcefully.



The girl started to backup slowly still aiming the gun directly at Brian, “What do you want!”



“We just need to talk to you Nadia…put the gun down.” Brian said, trying to sound as calm as possible.



“I don’t believe you.” Seeing her hands shaking and paying close attention to her voice, Brian recognized the fear in the words she was speaking.



“We aren’t going to hurt you Nadia we are FBI…let me reach inside my pocket and show you my badge.” He said slowly reaching for his badge.



“Don’t!” She said clicking the safety off her gun. Brian stopped immediately and put his arms in the air.



“Put the gun down.” Howie urged once more, feeling helpless that he was on one side of the gate while Brian was on the other.



“This is never going to end is it? You are always going to do this to me!”



“I don’t know what you’re talking about…” Brian started but she wouldn’t let him finish, she began waving the gun around as her behavior became more erratic.



“Well its’ going to end now! You people are going to leave me alone…I’m not going to be scared for the rest of my life!”



“Who is not leaving you alone Nadia? We are here to help you.”



“That’s what you always say...but it’s all lies…that’s what he said to.”



“Who? Your old boyfriend? Did Luis tell you that Nadia?” Brian asked, inching closer to her as she started to break down.



“Luis…” She sounded so lost when she said it, that for a second Brian thought she wasn’t paying attention to what she was doing. He took one more step closer to her but she noticed it and started to pull the trigger. Seeing that, Brian had to leap towards her and together they wrestled for the gun.



Howie began to jump over the gate when a shot rang out.





~*~*~*~*~*~




AJ sat in his car and patiently waited for Nick in the back of the school, just like his little brother directed him to. “Okay you can pick me up but it has to be in the back where no one will see…okay?” He had said as if AJ was his 60 year old father wearing plaid and picking him up in a van out of the eighties.



“Come on….where are you?” He asked his steering wheel just as the blonde came walking into view, lugging his backpack over his shoulder and pushing his hair out of his eyes.



“Hey.”



“You’re late, what are you the last person out or something?”



“Sorry, but my homeroom is clear across the other side of the building.”



“You mean the front?”



“Yeah.”



“I could have picked you up in the front.”



“No way.”



“Kids!” AJ grumbled as he started the car.



Nick rolled his eyes and AJ laughed, “By the way Skippy, I have an assignment for you when we get back to my place.”



“I’m not doing your smelly laundry.”



“No, you don’t have to do that…but that IS a great idea. Actually, you have to help me take apart my bathroom sink.”



“What?”



“It’s a long story but Stacey’s ring fell down the drain.”



“You mean the ring ring? Did you propose?”



“No, not yet…but I plan on it tonight.”



“But the ring is down the drain?” Nick asked sounding increasingly amused by it all.



“Shut up kid…”



“Stacey I love you, now if you just stick your finger down the drain…”



“Shut up.”



They drove a little more in silence before AJ spoke again, “So how was school?”



Nick shrugged his shoulders, “Good I guess.”



“Did that kid pick on you at all?”



“God AJ, I can take care of myself.”



“Okay sorry, my mistake.” AJ put up his hands defensively and shook his head, “Forget I even asked.”



“He’s Patty’s boyfriend.”



“What?”



“The kid who beat me up, he is the guy Patty is dating. I didn’t want to mention it in front of Kev.”



“Aw, that’s rough kiddo. I’m sorry.”



“So am I, but the weirdest thing is, he came up to me today and told me he wants to be friends now.”



“Really?”



“Yes, because I mean something to Patty. Do you think that’s odd?”



“I know if my girlfriend told me some guy meant something to her, I’d be jealous as all hell.”



“Yeah, that’s what I was thinking too.”



“Just be careful, okay?”



“I’m not stupid AJ.”



“Did I say you were?”



“Nope but then again, I’m also not the one who managed to get a ring stuck in a pipe.”



AJ reached over and grabbed his brother in a headlock, “Okay junior now it’s war!” He kidded as they continued to drive to the apartment building.



~*~*~*~*~*~




“You wanted to see me?” Charlie asked the man that hired him. He hated these last minute meetings held in dark, mysterious places. He was sure it was done to intimidate him, but he would have none of that.



“I want to move up our plans by a few days. Do you think you will be ready the day after tomorrow?”



Charlie bit at his bottom lip, “I guess…I mean I haven’t really gone over the details with my crew yet.”



“Well, I guess now’s the time to do that.”



“Okay…yeah, day after tomorrow. Not a problem.”



“Good…and Charlie, no one can see you go in or out of that building. Do you understand me?”



“Yes, I understand.”



The man smiled and shook the kid’s hand. “Good…day after tomorrow then.” He said taking the bag of supplies the teen would need and handing it over to him.



Charlie nodded and took the stuff; he was starting to sweat and needed to get out of there before the guy caught on to how nervous he was.



“Here’s to the start of a new life…” He said to himself as he left.



~*~*~*~*~*~




Kevin sat at his computer rubbing his temples, being so close to the screen all day, the words and pictures that he had been looking at all seemed to blur together. He found maybe three more cases very similar to the one he was working on now. All had two victims who were assassinated seemingly for no reason. Two of the cases matched the Jackson’s profile while the third one matched the Camacho’s.



He was just about to pick up the phone and make a call to one of the agents who worked on those cases when Ariana came running into the room. “Kevin…we got a call that an agent is down.”



“Who?”



“Your brother.”



Kevin’s eyes grew wide as he left everything as it was and went running out of the office.

Thanks for reading and I know most of you want to pummel me for the way I left Shadow Woods so I will try to update that one Wednesday. lol