- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
An e-mail from an old friend stirs up a lot of memories for Alyssa.

Chapter 2

  

I saw your face in a crowded place, And I don't know what to do, Cause I'll never be with you. - You're Beautiful, James Blunt



The next day, Alyssa awoke to her cat Precious gently nudging her sleeping body as if to say, "wake up and feed me." Alyssa's eyes fluttered open and she slowly stretched out her body. " I know you're hungry," she grumbled. This was quite typical of Precious to come in and wake Alyssa up in the morning. When she was living down in Florida with Nick, he would get so pissed off in the morning when Precious would leap onto their bed and force them to wake up in the morning. " That damn cat," he would mutter as it would try to crawl between the two of them.. Alyssa smiled to herself at the memory for a moment, but then realized that she was thinking about him again. Damn him, she thought to herself.

       Precious continued to crawl on top of Alyssa bringing her back to the present. "Okay, Mommy is getting up," she promised as she sat up in bed. "No wonder you're so insistent today," she continued as she glanced at the clock. "It's almost 1:00pm! See what happens when I stay out late and party too much?"

       She had in fact accepted Stephanie's offer to go out to a bar last night and she had to admit that she actually did have a good time. Ironically, the bouncers didn't even give Stephanie's fake ID a second glance, yet they must have spent a full five minutes examining Alyssa's. And I'm the one who is actually of age, she had though defensively to herself. Once inside though Alyssa's mood definitely improved. Who knew that partying with her baby sister could actually be kind of fun? Hell, she'd even talked to a few guys last night and exchanged numbers with one or two of them although she doubted that she would actually call them.

       The getting out had definitely been good for her. Even though she had drank more than she had in a long time she didn't even feel the slightest bit hung over. In fact, she actually felt pretty good.

       Alyssa finally managed to pull herself out of bed and headed for the kitchen with Precious hot on her heels. First, she opened up a can of cat food for Precious and then preceded to make herself a bowl of Cinnamon Toast Crunch. She bought her cereal over to her computer, realizing that she hadn't checked her e-mail in a while.

       "You got mail!" her computer announced to her as she signed onto AOL. Opening her mailbox she murmured to herself as she deleted her junk mail, "Junk... Spam... Porn... When will these people figure out that I do not want to see any 'hot girl on girl action' nor do I need to get prescription drugs at a lower price?" She was totally about to give up in disgust until her eyes caught sight of an all too familiar e-mail address. Alyssa's heart began to pound. What does she want? she wondered. They hadn't spoken since she had left Florida.

       Taking a deep breath she clicked open the e-mail and began to read its contents.

Hey Alyssa!

       Wow! It's really been forever since we talked! I was just thinking about you recently and was curious  about what you've been up to because nobody has heard from you or Meg. Are you still living in New York? What have you been doing? How is Meg and the rest of your family? Is Meg healthy?

       Well, I'm doing really well. Just to update you on my life a little, I'm currently living out in LA with Tristan. (I can't believe that we are still together after almost five years!) We moved out there shortly after you moved back to New York. Anyway I guess you are probably wondering why I'm trying to contact you after all these years. I have big news! After all these years Tristan has finally landed a record deal and the record company wants him to work with some producers and do some recording in New York City, so we're going to be moving to New York! I'm not even sure if you're still living in New York at all, but I would love to get together with you and catch up. My cell phone number is ________. Call me anytime you want.

       I really hope to hear from you. I know our friendship kind of went downhill after you and Nick broke up, but I think by now hopefully you'll be able to at least resume your friendships with your other friends from Florida.
                                                      
You better call me!
Luv Izzy


       Wow... she thought sitting back in her chair. Izzy, my old best friend from Florida. Isabelle Richardson, cousin of Kevin Richardson of BSB. ( Yet not cousins with Brian. She used to always stress that he was the other side of the family.)  The same Izzy who pretty much grew up with Nick. The same Izzy that had introduced the two of them in the first place. She could still remember the day they first met in the college cafeteria clearly in her mind.

*******

       Alyssa was sitting at a table by herself with her books spread out trying to study as she fed herself a carton of macaroni and cheese. It was only the second week of the school and so far she had met absolutely no one.  She was beginning to wonder if moving down to Florida for college had been a wise move at all.

       She was so deep in thought that she didn't even notice someone approach until a slightly southern accented voice spoke up. " Hey, you're in my Intro to Psych class aren't you?"

       Alyssa looked up into the face of a young woman about her own age with her auburn hair pulled back  into a ponytail. She looked vaguely familiar to her, but she wasn't sure from where. It could have been psych class. "9;15 - 10:30 on Monday and Wednesday with Professor Blake?" she asked for clarification.

       "Yep. That's the one! Doesn't that girl who sits up in the front and asks all those questions just annoy the hell out of you?" the girl continued on.

       "Oh my God I know!" Alyssa agreed with a laugh. "Today when we were watching that video and she kept calling out to ask questions I wanted to smack her."

       The girl gave an agreeable nod. " By the way I'm Isabelle Richardson, but most people call me Izzy."

       " Alyssa Martinelli. Pleased to meet you," she introduced.
      
       " Do you mind if I take a seat?" Izzy asked.

       "Not at all," Alyssa told her as she moved her books aside.

       "So, is this your first semester here or have you been going here for awhile?" her new friend asked, as she sat down.

       "My first semester. I actually just moved here from New York," she explained.

       "New York? Wow! Did your family move down here or something?"

       "No. I moved down by myself for school. I needed to get away from them for awhile."

       Izzy looked at Alyssa in admiration. "So, you have your own apartment?"

       "Yea. It's nothing much. Not sure how long I'll be able to afford it, but for now it'll suffice. What about you? What's your story?"

       Izzy all of a sudden looked a little uncomfortable. "My story? Well, there's not much of a story to tell. I was actually born and raised in Kentucky, that's where the accent comes from. I started college out there, but after my first semester I decided to take a break because a lot of crap was going on in my life. My parents were going through a nasty divorce  and home was pretty crappy, so I spent some time with my cousin, who is like a second father to me and he offered me to come down and live with him and his girlfriend and attempt to start college again down here in Florida, so here I am a 20 year old freshman!"

       "Don't feel so bad, so am I. I had to put off college a little bit to save up money for my apartment," Alyssa sympathized.

       "I'm glad there's someone else who knows how I feel. I really don't know very many people down here in Florida outside of my cousin and his friends," Izzy confessed. "I've spent most of my life surrounded by guys."

       "Well, I can't relate to that because I grew up with two sisters, but it sounds kind of nice," she mused. Yes, this Izzy girl seemed maybe a little too friendly, but Alyssa instantly felt some kind of bond with her. Perhaps it was he fact that they were both "older" freshmen, or the fact that they had both sought refuge in Florida in order to get away from their parents. Either way Alyssa was beginning to feel that she had just made her first real friend in Florida.


*********

       Alyssa snapped herself out of her daydream. Maybe she could call Izzy after all. What harm could it do? It would be great to hear her voice again. Besides if she really was as over Nick as she claimed to be this would be the ultimate test right?

       She looked over at her clock which read 1:30pm which would only make it 9:30am on the West Coast. Izzy had said to call anytime, but Alyssa decided it would probably be best to wait a little while longer before calling in case she and Tristan wanted to sleep in.

       So with nothing left to do, but let her mind wander, Alyssa continued to remind herself of the intricate role that Izzy had played in bringing her and Nick together.

*********

       "Okay, tell me everything you know about Pavlov and his dog," Alyssa quizzed Izzy as they sat next to each other on Alyssa's living room couch. "Iz? Earth to Isabelle? Hello! Psych mid-term on Monday... We're supposed to be studying here?" she reminded her.

       "Yea. I'm sorry. Can you repeat the question?" Izzy asked, obviously caught in a day dream

       Alyssa sighed impatiently. "What's with you tonight? This is the fifth question I've had to repeat to you. Neither one of us is going to pass this thing at this rate."

       "I'm really sorry," she apologized. "I just kind of have a lot on my mind right now."

       "Well, do you want to talk about it?" Alyssa's eyes flashed with definite concern.

       Now it was Izzy's turn to sigh. "There's something that I have to tell you. I've kind of been hiding something about me from you and I think that we have gotten so close lately that I feel like I owe you the truth."

       "If you're going to tell me that you're a lesbian, I'm cool with it," Alyssa interrupted.

       "No!" Izzy answered with a laugh. "It's nothing like that. It's about my cousin and the way that I live."

       "Okay," she said slowly, leaning forward to listen.

       "Well," Izzy started off. "I bet you're kind of wondering how come I've never invited you over to my cousins house. Whenever we get together for anything I always come here."
      
       Alyssa interrupted again to reassure her. "I don't think its rude at all. I just figured you didn't want to impose upon him."

       "Yea, uhmm well its more than that," she continued, staring down at her hands. "You see, I mentioned that my cousin was in a band to you right?"

       "Yea," Alyssa said, nodding and wondering what she was getting at. "That's why you want to major in public relations, so that someday you can maybe represent them."

       "Well,  the band is actually more of a group and you actually probably have heard of them before. They're pretty well known around these parts. My cousin is Kevin Richardson. Ever hear of him?"

       Alyssa thought carefully to herself. "The name sounds familiar, but I can't remember where I've heard it before."

       "Ever hear of the Backstreet Boys?" Izzy supplied.

       "Of course I've heard of - Wait! Your cousin is THAT Kevin?" Alyssa asked incredulously.

       "Yes. Please don't freak out. I didn't tell you right away because I didn't know if I could trust you or if you'd even believe me," she explained. "I hope you aren't mad."

       "I'm not mad. Just kind of shocked is all. I never knew anyone who was related to anybody famous before." Alyssa paused for a moment. "So, why tell me now?"

       Izzy shrugged. "We've gotten so close and I feel like I can trust you. Our friendship has gotten to the point where I couldn't hide something like this from you any longer. So you do know them?"

       "Sure I know them. I've heard their songs before and I even own a few of their CDs actually," she confessed with a blush. "But I'm not like a super obsessed fan or anything like that. I don't think I could even tell you their names to be honest. I kind of used to think that the blonde one was kind of cute but -"

       "Nick?" Izzy asked with a laugh.

       "Is that his name? I swear I was like in high school and he was like hottie of the week for a little bit. It was so dumb."

       "He's my best friend," Izzy announced trying to keep a straight face.

       "Oh," Alyssa said trying to conceal her embarrassment. "Then just forget what I said okay?"

       "We're the same age. I used to spend my summers with the guys following them around wherever they went and it was only inevitable that we'd hang out. I've known him since we were like 13 or 14. And no... I've never went 'went there,' " she said anticipating the question that was on Alyssa's lips.

       "How did you know I was going to ask you that?" Alyssa asked.

       "Because everyone does. They assume that just because we're such good friends we've like messed around. Honestly, in the beginning Kevin thought we'd wind up together and we even kissed once or twice, but it was just too weird. We're much better as friends. He's like my brother or something," she explained. Suddenly a devilish glint appeared in her eye. "So do you really think he's cute?"

       All of a sudden Alyssa felt very put on the spot. "Well, he's definitely not bad looking," she answered a bit unsurely. Something about the look on Izzy's face scared her a little bit. "Why do you ask?"

       "He's available. He recently broke up with someone. If you want I can hook it up," Izzy offered with a grin.

       Alyssa almost laughed at the absurdity of it. "He wouldn't be interested in me."

       "Compared to most of the girls he's dated in the past, you re definitely an improvement. He needs a little guidance in the women department," she shared.. "Anyway I really want you to meet my cousin and rest of the guys. Their record company is throwing a little party for them next Saturday night. Would you be interested in going with me?"

       "Me? At a fancy record company party? I don't know Iz... I wouldn't know how to act or what to wear," Alyssa confided to her friend.

       "I'll stick by you the whole night and I'll even help you pick out an outfit or you can borrow something of mine. Just please say you'll come," Izzy begged.

       Alyssa found that she had no excuse to turn her friend down. "Fine. I'll go."

*********

       And so it began. That had been the night that she had first met Nick. Now that she wanted her memories to stop coming back to her, she could not help, but to think back on that particular night as well.

**********

       Alyssa was completely in awe of the whole party. She wondered if Izzy often attended parties like these where the level of her champagne glass never dropped more than halfway before a white gloved waiter came around to  fill it back up again, making it never ending. As promised, Izzy had remained by her side as she introduced Alyssa to Kevin and his band mates, who all seemed quite charming and pleased to meet her. She had met everyone besides the elusive Nick who for the whole night seemed to be swarmed with people.

       "Quick!" Izzy ordered grabbing Alyssa's arm, forcing her to almost spill her champagne. "Nick's heading out from the bathroom. If we run I can introduce you before somebody else gets to him first."

       Alyssa giggled as Izzy dragged her across the room towards Nick hoping that her friend wouldn't say anything too embarrassing in front of him.

       "Hey Carter!" Izzy shouted as they approached him. "What the hell is this that you can't even come over and say hi to me anymore?" She put her hands on her hips and pretended to look annoyed.

       "Sorry," he apologized. "I can't help it if I'm popular," he said with a smirk that made Alyssa's knees a little weak as he stepped forward to properly greet Izzy with a hug and a friendly peck on the cheek.

       Finally remembering that her purpose in approaching him was to introduce him to Alyssa, Izzy grabbed Alyssa's arm. "By the way this is my friend Alyssa, the one I was telling you about," she told him with a knowing look.

       Telling about? What did she say? Alyssa wondered. She hated when people talked about her, even if it was in a good way. Her question was immediately answered by Nick's response.

       "Ahh, yes. The 'cute single' one. I remember now. Pleased to meet you," he said as he extended his hand out to her.

       "L-Likewise," she managed to stutter out as she took his hand. She could already feel a blush crawling up into her cheeks. Wait until she got her hands on Izzy later!

       "Oh look! Some people have Kevin's ear and Melanie looks a little lonely over there across the room. I think I'm going to over there and keep her company," Izzy excused herself. "You two keep talking though," she hinted with a playful grin as she walked away.

       Now she really was going to kill Izzy. Here she was in an awkward situation having to talk with a guy she barely knew who probably had absolutely zero interest in her anyway. A very hot looking guy, she corrected herself. Now that they were alone she finally really took a good look at him and she had to admit that he was gorgeous in person. Striking blue eyes, nicely shaped lips, and a perfect smile were the first things that she noticed about him. His handshake had been firm and confident, with a bit of a squeeze. Alyssa found herself almost afraid to look him straight in the eye because he was that beautiful. Maybe she needed some more champagne.

       Thankfully enough Nick broke the awkwardness and initiated the conversation. "So Izzy tells me that you just moved down here from New York. Where about?"

       "Long Island," she answered him, self consciously twirling a strand of her dark hair around her finger.

       "Oh. I was born in Jamestown, but that's not very close by is it?" he asked uncertainly.

       "Not at all," Alyssa answered trying not to laugh. "Long Island is way South in New York and Jamestown is kind of Northwest from us. Very Northwest."

       Nick shrugged and laughed a little. "I never claimed to be an expert on New York geography. Hell, I'm not good at geography period.  I've been to Long Island before. It's like an hour or so from the city right?"

       "Yes. About that depending on where you are."

       "Yea. We've done a few shows down there. I think I even did a book signing there once," he continued.

       "Yea, you did," Alyssa reminded him, immediately feeling a little foolish. She didn't want to make it sound like she followed his whole career or anything like that. She just remembered hearing about it. "Half the girls in my high school skipped school that day to line up outside of Barnes and Noble for it."

       "And were you one of them?" he pressed, giving her that smirk again. For the first time, she noticed that he had dimples.

       Alyssa suddenly felt a little self conscious in Izzy's short, black, Dolce and Gabanna mini dress that she had been so conscious to not spill anything on the whole night because it probably cost as much as a month or two of rent for her. It wasn't like she had been at that signing, so she didn't have anything to be embarrassed about, but she couldn't quite tell if he was asking because he thought she might have been a fan, or because he was just trying to flirt with her. Either way it made her a little uncomfortable, but not necessarily in a bad way.  "No, I didn't go. A few of my friends went. No offense, but I didn't have much of an interest in going."

       "Fair enough," he replied and changed the subject. Apparently Alyssa had passed the first test. "So how do are you enjoying it here in Florida?"

       "It's all right. So far I'm liking it. I don't know too many people besides Izzy and now you guys," she answered honestly. "It was kind of lonely at first living in an apartment by myself with just my cat to keep me company, but I think I'm finally beginning to get settled."

       "That's good and I'm sure Izzy will keep you entertained. She's quite a bundle of energy," he informed her. "Although I'm sure you've figured that out by now."

       " Oh, yes definitely," Alyssa agreed and was about to tell him the story about how they met when one of the men that Kevin had been talking to interrupted them.

       "I'm sorry," he apologized. "But I need to steal Nick away for a little while."

       Nick gave her an apologetic glance. "Sorry. Business calls."

       "It's okay. I completely understand," she assured him. "It was nice meeting you."

       "Yea same here," he agreed as she stepped forward and gave her a friendly hug. "I'm sure I'll be seeing you around."

       "Definitely," was all that Alyssa could say as she reluctantly let go of him and watched him walk away. Okay, maybe she'd let Izzy live after all, because she had to admit, after talking to Nick for only a few short minutes she could not deny that she was definitely attracted to him.


**********

       The rest had been history. After Izzy persistently demanding to know exactly how Alyssa had hit it off with Nick, Alyssa had admitted that she definitely wanted to get to know him better. From that point forth any opportunity that Izzy had to throw the pair together she took complete advantage of, and inevitably when they had started to hang out on their own, no one was prouder than Izzy.

       Yea, and then the fairytale took a nose dive, Alyssa thought cynically as she glanced at the clock again,, returning once more to the present. Screw it, she decided to herself picking up the phone, If she sat around and waited to call any longer the memories would only become worse and more painful for her. With a determined sigh, she dialed Izzy's cell phone number and listened to it ring.