- Text Size +
*Hope everybody stayed safe the past few days!*


17
John Alexander was a man who never had much in his life; he had been through so many bad times and often felt a little guilty for bringing his son along for the ride. Mike was a good kid, he didn’t deserve the kind of life that he found himself in. So after he gets out of prison where does he find himself? Right back at his son’s doorstep once again needing his help. He felt bad but yet, also felt like the kid in a way had owed him.
When he had woken up from his little nap on the very small uncomfortable couch which would be his bed for a while, he felt a little disoriented. At first he thought he was back in prison, but the nice breeze coming from the cracked open window, coupled with the smell of fresh air, made him realize that he was in fact a free man. He sat up and stretched feeling like he needed to take a shower. He was a free man; it was time to start smelling like one.

He walked around the small apartment in search of his son, wondering where the heck the kid had gotten too now. He laughed figuring that Mike had probably run away and just abandoned everything. That wouldn’t surprise John much after the unexcited greeting that he received from the boy. Then he remembered Mike saying something about work and he once again relaxed a bit.

He found himself roaming over to the kitchen, grabbing himself a beer and some leftover pizza that Mike had in there and walked over to the TV and flipped through the channels. It felt good to be a free man; maybe he would rethink his life.

“It’s all that bitches fault” He said out loud, seeing Carol Brady on the screen but thinking of his ex wife Jane. He blamed her for everything and thought about her often; never in a good way. If she hadn’t thrown him out of her house, things probably would have turned out different for him. He felt bad at the time, taking his son along, but he wanted to show her no one messes with John Alexander. Besides the kid was better off with him anyway. She was a horrible woman and an even worse Mother.

He spit at the TV just then, not even feeling bad for doing it. He often wondered about her, so many times wanting to show up at her doorstep and tell her the hell off, but he knew she would manage to have him arrested for kidnapping THEIR son.

Stupid bitch!

The phone ringing made him turn his eyes away from the television. He thought about just ignoring it and letting it ring but he was kind of hoping it would be his son. Maybe then he could drop a few hints that he really wanted some Chinese food and a carton or two of cigarettes. He scrambled around the apartment looking for the phone, not seeing it anywhere before realizing that it was coming from his son’s room. He ventured inside and picked it up on about the tenth ring.

“Hello”

“Dad” John smiled when he heard Mike’s voice on the other end of the line, “Yeah son, where were you? I was worried”

Mike laughed, “Yeah sure you were”

“No, I was. I didn’t know where you went”

“I told you I was going to work”

“I know, I remembered after a little while”

“Good…uh dad?”

“Yeah?”

“Did my cell phone ring at all?”

“I don’t think it did”

“Okay good…” Relief was heard on the other end, “Listen…um… if it …um…does would you …uh…do me a favor and…um… NOT pick it up? Just let the…uh… answering thing get it. Remember …um…it’s not my phone and I think Melinda would be upset if some stranger answered it”

“I’m not a stranger, I’m your father”

“Yeah I know, but to her…um… you are a stranger” John raised an eyebrow; his son was lying to him. He could always tell by the stuttering.

“Are you sure you wouldn’t want me to answer it? You aren’t embarrassed to have me here are you son?” There was a very awkward pause and for some reason that made John mad. He had only asked half teasing, by the lateness in his son’s reply, he knew that maybe he WAS embarrassed. That only made him WANT to answer the phone and invite the girl over where he could walk around the house naked, burping and farting.

“Uh…no dad. I’m not embarrassed…um…just promise me…okay? I gotta get back to work”

“Sure son, whatever you want. Listen can you pick your old man up some ciggies and Chinese on the way home?”

“Sure dad. I gotta go, I’ll see you later” When Mike hung up; John just smiled curiously at the phone. Sometimes he didn’t understand his son. Of course now he will answer the phone just out of plain curiosity but before he probably wouldn’t have. As if on cue, suddenly another ringing was heard, this time far off in the distance. He couldn’t’ make out where it was coming from but upon further investigation he noticed it was coming from Mike’s jacket. He fiddled through the pocket and brought out the phone. Looking at it, he decided to go ahead and answer.

“Hello”

“Um…hi Mike” It was a guy, that instantly disappointed John as he rolled his eyes at the phone ready to hang up at any moment. Maybe his son was gay! Maybe that was the reason for the secrecy.

“He’s not here what do you want?” He suddenly was regretting ever picking up the damn phone in the first place. Especially since there was a pause in conversation.

“Hello?” He asked again.

“Um…yeah, do you know when he will be back?”

“No I don’t sorry. I guess you’ll have to call back later”

“Can you take a message” Now John was really getting angry. What was he a friggin secretary now? “Yeah sure hang on a sec…” He pretended to get a pencil and paper.

“Okay go ahead…”

“Just tell him that his brother called”

“What the hell are you talking about? Mike doesn’t have a brother” John was now yelling at the kid on the other end of the line.

“Um...”

“Jesus Christ kid stop your damn stammering and tell me what you want to say”

“I am his brother” Nick said in a whisper.

“Kid, I am his father and I’m telling you he ain’t got no goddamned brother. Okay?” There was a long pause “Hello are you still there?”

“Yes...Sorry I must be mistaken then”

“Whatever” John said as he hung up on his youngest son, not even making the connection. He was so disappointed; he thought for sure that he would be talking to a lady. Instead he got his son’s gay lover. Great just great…no he got his son’s brother! What the hell was that all about? Maybe he belonged to one of those damn cults or something. They paddle each other and proclaim their love to their brothers.

He walked over and decided to give the bed a try. Maybe if it was comfortable enough he could guilt his son into sleeping on the sofa while he gave his father the bed. He laid down and sighed, it was comfortable but not any more or less comfortable then the scrawny couch he was sleeping on. Turning on his side, he placed his hand under the pillow and jumped when he heard something fall to the floor. He pulled himself to the end of the bed to see that it was a book.

He grabbed it and looked at the cover, “The Heart and Soul of Nick Carter…Jesus he is gay isn’t he?” he was just about to toss it down to the ground when his eyes caught those of the woman who he used to love more than anything else in the world, staring back at him from the pages of the book.

“I’ll be damned” He gasped as he flipped from page to page, more than a little amused.


~*~*~*~*~*~*~
I sat on the toilet just stunned after I got off the phone. Well actually after I was hung up on. I didn’t know how I felt. I was numb. I couldn’t even tell you what I did for the rest of the day, who I met or talked to because after that little conversation, I was in a fog. I pretty much stayed out of everybody’s way, especially the other guys. Knowing how moody I was earlier it wasn’t that hard to do. They thankfully did the same; keeping a safe distance away from the very moody Nick Carter.

After that dinner we had some kind of autograph signing in a mall or something, I know it seems sad that I couldn’t even tell you where we were or why we were there. All I knew was I wanted to go back to the hotel and go to sleep. I didn’t want to think about Mike, my parents or anybody. I’m so stupid! How could I have actually believed that that guy was my brother? Was I that dumb?

But then again, if that guy really WAS my brother, then why would my own father disown me? I was so confused. Those two thoughts took turns playing in my head until I was ready to explode. Going back and forth from sadness to anger.

“Did you talk to him?” I looked up to find Kevin sitting next to me, we were in the van. When did we even get into the van? I looked out the window to see it was dark. Where was I? Had that much time actually passed?

“No”

“Is everything okay? You seem quiet” I seem quiet?

“I thought you didn’t care” I said. I really wanted to tell him everything, cry on his shoulder and have him help make figure this stuff out, but I couldn’t. I was too afraid that he would give me that I told you so speech and I really wouldn’t be able to take that right now.

“Nick, can we call it a truce? I mean I was just asking, there is NO need to give me attitude” I wanted to answer him, but I didn’t. So he just scooted away from me. The others were having a conversation and kept trying to get me involved, so I closed my eyes hoping they would get the hint to leave me alone which they did.


~*~*~*~*~*~*~
By the time Mike came home from work, John had managed to put the book back where it was, take a shower and even clean up the place a little bit. He had a whole new mission suddenly. He greeted his son at the door and happily took the bag of Chinese food from him and brought it over to the coffee table where he had already set out some plates.

Mike seemed more than a little surprised, “Thanks for getting this son. I really do appreciate it” He then walked over and gave his son a huge hug.

“Wow dad! Thanks”

“It’s no problem, I am so grateful to have a son like you” He said winking as he poured out the fried rice on two plates, giving his son the bigger one. “How was work?” He looked up to see Mike smiling, he was aware he had caught him off guard.

“It was good dad. I’m tired though. Any calls?”

“Um…no not really, just a wrong number”

“The cell phone?”

“Didn’t touch it”

They had some casual conversations, John letting Mike do most of the talking; he found himself more convincing when he did that. By the time dinner was done they both sat with their feet up watching television.

“I have been thinking about your Mom” He felt his son looking at him.

“Really? I thought you hated her”

“I did…we didn’t have the best relationship the two of us” Mike chuckled, “So I remember”

“Yes you and your brother went through a lot. I’m sorry”

Mike was taken a back. Did his father just apologize?

“It’s okay dad. You tried your best”

“It wasn’t good enough for you Mikey or for Nicky” He said placing a hand on his son’s shoulder.

“I wish I could make it up to the both of you. I have been thinking of trying to find Nick, you know to tell him how much I love him”

“You have?”

“Yes but I doubt he would even want to talk to me”

“I’m sure he would…someday maybe” John smiled.

“Perhaps someday” He knew how to play his son, hell he knew how to play everybody.

Mike stood up to do the dishes, “No, let me do those for you kiddo. You relax; you’ve had a long day”

“Wow, thanks dad”

“Not a problem” If it was going to make him a millionaire he was all for it.


~*~*~*~*~*~
It was around midnight when we got back to the hotel, just like Howie had predicted. The guys didn’t even say goodnight to me. They had enough of my babyish attitude. I couldn’t really blame them, but I needed them right now. Brian didn’t even wait for me like he usually did. He just went right up to the room; I bet he would have gladly locked me out for the night if I had given him the chance.

Not sure why, well okay maybe I WAS sure why, but instead of ending up in front of MY hotel room door, I ended up in front of Kevin’s.

I knocked twice and almost walked away when he didn’t answer, but then he opened the door. I just stood there with a sullen look on my face. “What’s wrong lil man?” He asked me in his slow drawl. I didn’t answer him but extended my hands for a hug, which he gladly returned.