- Text Size +
Hola, another chapter! YAY!



Chapter 4



“Crap. Crap. Crap. Crap,” Nick kept muttering to himself underneath his breath. Him and Bob had been sitting for about 15 minutes.

Bob looked at Nick and smirked. He knew the kid was expecting the body of his dead sister. He smiled. The truck with Tony and Cole was just rounding around one of the buildings, the biggest one. The place where they would be eating and doing many ‘inside’ things.

Nick immediately stopped and looked up. His eyes were wide and it looked as though he might cry but he didn’t. He was shaking and pale.

The truck pulled to a stop a few feet away from them and Tony stepped out. He walked around to the passengers’ side and opened the door. Cole was slumped in the seat. She was still in a bit of shock. If anything, Nick and Cole looked the exact same, only Nick looked to be guilty of something and Cole was, well sort of in shock, back to reality.

Bob looked at Nick, smiling. Tony looked at Nick, smiling. Nick looked at Cole, frowning. Cole looked at Nick, frowning.

Bob forcefully pulled Nick down when he tried to get up, “See Nick? See what you did? She’s gonna be scarred for life because of you! Luckily she ain’t dead huh? Yea, lucky. No thanks to you of course. To tell you the truth, she should come over here and punch you. But of course she’ll-,” Bob was cut off by a fist connecting with his face. He looked up to see Nick charging to get to Cole. Tony was blocking his way.

“Move! What the fuck did you do to her? If you laid one finger on her, I promise I’ll-“ Bob cut him off by pressing the barrel to Nick’s temple, again.

“How many times have I had to put this fucking gun to YOUR FUCKING HEAD?” Bob’s voice rose. His face was now throbbing in pain and he was trying to hide it.

“First of all, let me finish my sentence,” the gun didn’t bother Nick at all. Nick looked at Tony, “If you laid a finger on my sister I will make sure you never have any fingers to use for your natural born life,” Nick smiled at Tony the looked to Bob, “As for you, Bob, a lot of times more. Oh and your voice sounded a little crackly there too.”

Bob stood there pissed off. Never again was another one of these kids getting punished for something the other did! Not alone anyway. They’ll take the rap themselves! “Fuck!”

Cole looked at Nick and smiled. It was pretty nice having a smart-mouthed brother. He probably wouldn’t do anything until he felt the need to but it was all good.

***

Monique and La’Toya stood there staring at each other. They were having a staring contest. Digging holes had gotten pretty boring. They could only guess what the holes were gonna get filled up.

They were both startled as they saw a bunch of red ants come out of a small ant hill nearby. The ants were the big, ugly, and red type. They were also heading straight for the two girls.

“Think we should run? I think we should run. Let’s run,” they ran.

Then they heard a loud gunshot and the ants scattered. They turned and saw Steve standing there.

“Come back my little chickadees. I won’t hesitate to shoot you if you don’t!”

They both rolled their eyes and slowly walked back to Steve. He grabbed them and wrapped them in his arms, “What is up my homies?” He laughed, “Time to go eat. I’m sure you’re hungry. Seems your friend took shorter then expected.”

He was bombarded with questions. He didn’t answer one though. They all walked toward the biggest building, ready to eat.

When they got in, they were surprised, then surprised again.

“Where are Nick and Cole at? Aren’t they eatin’? And what the hell is this glop?” Nick and Cole weren’t there and the food didn’t look like food at all.

“Not here. And food, thank you very fucking much! We made that damn food!”

“Oh we’re sorry, we didn’t recognize it. And why ain’t Cole and Nick here?”

“Fuck you! Very soon…” Steve smiled to himself.

At this point, Monique stepped in, “You wanna fuck her? You gotta get through me to get to her. Stupid motherfucker.”

Steve smiled wider, “Wow! Another fuck. And to get to you I’ll have to get through Cole? Then to get her, I’ll have to get through Nick…yes, that’s like, 4 fucks. Oh I can’t wait until they get back…”

Steve was met with a slap to the face. Surprisingly by Monique.

“You bitch! My bitch.” Steve laughed.

“Where are Nick and Cole at?” sighed Monique. La’Toya stood behind her, her mouth dropped open.

“Tony took Cole somewhere and came back early. Or maybe not. Or maybe-“

“We got the picture. Anyways, are we supposed to eat that crap?”

***

Bob stood there staring at Nick. Nick stared back. Tony and Cole sat back watching the two.

Bob finally broke the silence, “You just cussed me out,” he shook his head. “Your little self just cussed me out. I should kill you. But I won’t. I’m better than that. Maybe I’ll leave that to Tony. Or maybe I’ll send you off with Steve. Or maybe I could even sit you in a room alone with Alladen. Huh, so many choices. Could always call home!”

Nick frowned. He looked toward Cole, she was frowning too. What was he getting at?

“Yes, I could call home. No, no, no. Better idea, have you call home. Cuss out your own damn mother. Or- you got a girlfriend?” Bob started laughing, “Boy, I’ll make you regret all them times you fucking disobeyed me.”

Bob suddenly stood up, “I’ll talk it over with Alladen, Steve, and Tony later on.” Bob looked at his watch, “It’s time for them to eat our great food. Guess what? We cooked it ourselves! Gotta eat.”

Nick snorted. Cole actually let out a laugh, “If you want us to eat, we can cook it ourselves.”

They looked at each other and burst out laughing. There was no reason for it, the tension had became too much for them to handle.

Bob and Tony looked at each other. The both glared at Nick and Cole. It was obviously a stupid twin thing. Tony grabbed Nick and Bob grabbed Cole. They pulled them to the truck.

“Where we going?” Nick inquired.

“I told you.”

“We’re going to eat this oh so good food they cooked for us.” Cole told Nick.

Nick nodded smirking, “I ain’t eating it till I see them eatin’ the crap.”

Tony elbowed him, “Shut up.”

“You should pay more attention to your driving.”

Cole looked at him, “Nick?”

“Yea?”

“Shut up.”

“K.”

Bob and Tony looked at each other. These kids were brats. Not spoiled but still brats.

Tony had driven a couple times around the building then pulled to a stop in front of the two large wooden doors leading in.

“What’s this?” asked Cole.

“A building, duh,” answered Nick. Cole glared.

“This is where you’ll be eating,” said Bob.

“Oh.”

They all got out of the truck, Bob and Tony keeping a hold of Cole and Nick, and walked into the building. It looked as crappy in the inside as it did on the outside.

As they walked in, they saw Monique and La’Toya sitting, staring at something. They didn’t seem to notice them come in. Steve was at another one of the wooden tables. Old, rotting wooden tables.

“Yep, nice place you got here Bobby.”

Monique and La’Toya jerked around to look at them. When they saw them and processed who they were they jumped up.

“Cole! Are you okay? That asshole wouldn’t tell us where you was at…and what the hell happened to you?” La’Toya said this all in one breath. They both, La’Toya and Monique, stared at Bob. His cheek was puffy and red, “I’m guessing Nick.”

Nick smiled, “Yep, it was me. I messed him up real good there didn’t I? He was about to cry. Horrible. Horrific. And Cole said she’s fine.”

“You’re stupid Nick. Real stupid,” Monique said, then whispered, “Quit hitting them so damn much, damn.”

Nick just smiled, “So, what’s to eat?”

“Crap.”

“Thought so.”

Bob glared at Nick and Monique, “Stop talking and go sit down and eat.”

“What are you gonna eat?”

“None of your business.”

“Bet you it’s not what we gonna eat,” Cole whispered to Nick, Monique, and La’Toya.

“That’s it! Steve, get them to work on digging! Fuck!”

“Digging? That’s so boring!” La’Toya grumbled.

“So?”

“So you can get up and do it yourself!”

“What you say to me girl?” Bob choked.

“You heard me!” La’Toya yelled back.

“You know, I really don’t think I did.”

Nick leaned against the table and propped a foot up on one of the old, ugly broken down chairs.

“Toy don’t,” Cole and Monique said in unison.

“Don’t what? He really needs to fucking hear this!” La’Toya flung back, shocking her friends. Bob reached out to grab her and at the same moment Nick pushed the chair from under his feet intending on making Bob trip. Of course, something had to go wrong.

Bob caught the chair in mid-air. His voice echoed throughout the building,” Do you little brats really think I’d snatch you if I thought you could overthrow me?” Steve laughed. “Now, I’ll repeat myself, what-did-you-say-to-me-girl?”

La’Toya straightened her stance and matched Bob’s voice.

“Read my lips, for-get-it.”

Bob threw the chair, hitting La’Toya in the head. She fell to the floor.

“Toy!” Cole yelled.

Bob pulled out his gun, “Everyone sit down!” Pause, “Don’t yall get it? This is not Candyland! You want to fucking live and make it through this? Follow my fucking rules!”

“Oh, we’re gonna follow your fucking rules alright,” Nick said in a low, almost dangerous voice.

“Nick, sit the hell down and don’t do or say anything stupid, please!” Cole whispered as she and Monique took a seat.

Monique’s eyes were glued to La’Toya’s’ limp body. “She’s not moving,” she whimpered.

Alladen then appeared out of nowhere, stopping at Bob to get permission to do whatever he was about to do. Bob nodded and Alladen bent down on his hands and knees beside La’Toya. He picked her up and carried her out. Steve smiled at Alladen as he walked out the door.

“You don’t think she’s-“ Monique started.

“No,” Nick cut her off, taking a seat on the other side of Cole. “Don’t think like that, plus it was only a crack on the head.”

“Like a concussion or fracture?” Monique asked leaning back across the table.

“Probably, at the worst,” he replied.

Cole bit her lip, speechless. For the first time in a while, Nick was being serious. “Please let her be okay.” She thought to herself.

“Bon a petit!“ Bob yelled, making them all jump unexpectedly.

Bob set a wrapped plate in front of them and uncovered it.

“If you’re gonna make us slave our lives away for you, you could at least fucking give us something eatable!” Nick yelled, suddenly on his feet again.

“Is it alive?” Cole whispered, on her feet as well.

Monique on the other hand just put her head down and started balling her eyes out. The food they received looked like a combination of moldy meat (it was hard to distinguish between that and some sort of creature) and something that used to be fruit in a former life, before it was devoured, then thrown up.

“We’re never going to survive this,” Monique said from in her arms.

“You better eat if you want your strength for tomorrow, especially you Nick, you got triple.”

“What! Why?”

“Well, you didn’t do anything today and I don’t think you’re friend will want to go tomorrow…”

“That’s a piece of-!”

“Language please.” Bob said, waving a finger at Nick.

Bob began to walk away, “You guys are in charge, if they choose not to eat, send them to bed or something, or more work will do. The authorities will probably be out on search parties soon over in this area and we have to have them not making a sound.” Bob sighed and looked back over his shoulder, “Understand?”

The men nodded.

With that, he was gone.

“We’ll need to watch out for that one,” Cole said, indicating Tony.

“We’ll need to watch our back period.”

Monique watched Nick sit down grumbling about what Bob had just said and to her surprise, he actually picked up the food.

“Please say you’re not about to eat that shit,” Monique managed to say.

“Do I look hungry to you?” Nick asked.

“Well actually-“

“So how are we gonna get out of this?” Cole asked cutting off the sure to be argument and glaring at Steve, who in turn was staring back.

“First of all, just pretend like you guys are eating, if we don’t, according to Bob, we’ll be forced to go to sleep. I don’t think we’d be made to go to sleep either.”

“Oh hell no,” Monique exclaimed.

Nick didn’t hesitate, he took the so called food in his hand and threw it at Monique.

She looked momentarily stunned.

“Just what do you think you’re doing!” Cole bit out.

Nick smiled, “I know I ain’t all that good at math but it’s a 50/50 thing. Having fun, and causing trouble. My two favorite things in the world.”

Cole laughed and took a handful of crap and threw it at Nick. The thing is, it didn’t hit Nick, it hit Steve.

“I do declare fifty points to Cole for hitting the goon, fifty to whoever hits the other one!” Nick sounded like a game host, all the funnier.

Monique didn’t even try to stop laughing

Steve started toward the table, “You little bitch.”

Cole backed into the table behind her.

“Well, technically a bitch is a female dog.” Nick said, stepping in front of Cole, “Get it straight.”

Tony showed up in front of Nick pulling out a pocketknife, “Do you know what it feels like to taste metal.”

“No, but I hear it causes bad breath.”

“It causes more then that.”

“Well if it tastes like that shit right there, I’d rather not consume it.”

“Move!” Tony said, at the same time grabbing Monique’s arm none too gently. Nick didn’t move so Tony grabbed Nick’s hair, probably yanking out a couple of strands.

Steve stepped up.

“You’re a brave little girl.” Steve stated.

Cole stopped breathing.

Steve put his hands on both sides of Cole, pinning her against the table.

“How much more of this are we going to put up with?” Steve said, rubbing his hand across her cheek.

Cole tried to pull away but Steve caught her chin in his hand.

“Don’t you start fucking with her,” Nick yelled.

At the same time Monique’s shaky voice said, ”Leave her alone!”

“Do you want to become a part of that?” Tony asked, tightening his grip on her arm.

Monique shook her head no.

“Then I suppose you keep your mouth shut.” Tony suggested with a smile. “To tell you the truth, I’m not as nice as Steve or Bob, if it was me out there, you’d all be fucking dead,” Tony whispered in Monique’s ear.

There was a loud crash.

“What the hell-“ started Tony.

“Oh, way to go Cole!” Monique yelled.

Cole had had enough. She had kicked Steve in the forbidden area.

“This is our chance!” yelled Monique, “RUN!”

One guy against three teens, they had to make it out.

Cole struggled to fight off Steve, while Nick’s fist met Tony’s jaw, pulling Monique away from Tony. “Cole come on!”

“A little help!” Cole yelled, but in reality, she looked like she was handling herself pretty well. Steve had one hand clamped down on Cole’s leg and she kept giving him nice kicks in the face.

***

La’Toya fluttered her eyes, the room was really dark, the only light visible was one from a crack in the side of the wall. She tried to lift her head but an incredible amount of pain hit her. She grabbed her head leaning off the bed.

“Don’t fall, you’ll only make it worse,” came a voice from the darkness.

La’Toya felt a hand pulling her back onto the bed.

“Okay, this is gonna hurt for only a second, I promise,” it was a male’s voice, that’s all she could tell, his features were distorted in the darkness.

La’Toya felt ice being applied to her head.

“Shit! That stings!”

“Big baby,” said the voice, his features came into focus as he lit a match for a single candle. It was on a small wooden desk in a corner.

“Alladen right?” La’Toya whispered.

“Yeah.” Alladen carried the candle to La’Toya’s eyes.

“Why are you helping?”

“I don’t want to see you kids hurt,” he said, taking a first aid kit from the bottom of the bed. He extracted bandages from the case.

“Teens. I’m a teen.”

“Like I haven’t noticed,” Alladen started, wrapping La’Toya’s head in a long white bandage.

“Is it still daytime?” La’Toya asked, avoiding the urge to scream from pain.

“Evening. I’m not sure of the time…it’s getting dark fast.”

“Then why don’t we turn on a light?”

“There’s no electricity here, we’re off the whole site.”

“Are there curtains?”

“Yes, no opening because I told Bob only a band-aid for the cut on your head, but you need rest and at least a little medical attention, my abilities only go so far.”

“So that’s the reason we’re in the dark. Am I missing something?”

“Yea, you are,” Alladen laughed. “See, you actually have a head injury. More then what Bob thinks. See, if I left you out there, you could have went into ‘critical’ condition. Bob wouldn’t have cared. Do you know how much trouble I’d be in if he or one of his bums see me giving you extra attention? No, well let me explain.” Alladen made a gun out of his hand and put it to his head, “Get the picture?”

La’Toya nodded, so your taking a big risk helping me?”

“Yea.”

“Thanks…that’s very….nice of you.”

Alladen smiled softly.

“Why are you a part of Bob’s crew anyway.”

Alladen sighed,” Okay, Bob can never ever know I told you this…”

La’Toya nodded. Bad move, her head hurt worse.

He blew out the candle.

“I can’t see worth crap.”

“Let your eyes adjust.”

“Right.”

There was a rumbling of drawers and paper and Alladen could be seen drawing back the curtains slightly, obviously checking to make sure no one was in ear shot, not that anyone would be. Next, he got on the floor, right next to the crack in the wall.

“What are you doing?” La’Toya asked.

“It’s starting to get dark, which will make it easier for someone to notice light coming from here.” There was a long pause while he un-crumbled a paper.

“What’s that?” La’Toya said, attempting to get a closer look.

“Just turn your head a little, not a lot. You’ll hurt yourself.”

“Okay.”

“Look, Bob is making a village establishment and he needs the essential part. See, sure I’m a mastermind at stealing, that’s how I make my life. And Bob came up to me personally and offered me a bunch of money-“

“How much?” La’Toya cut in.

“Have you seen Michael Jackson’s place?”

“Have you seen his face?”

“Nope, but I hear he’s got a skin disease.”

“You heard right, I guess.” There was a pause, in which La’Toya switched her position on the bed, so she could get a closer look. “What about him?”

“His house, the money Bob offered, could pay for two of those houses.”

“And you think you gonna get that money? Uh, no.”

“Yes, anyways, see the bigger this place gets the more money comes in. See this?” Alladen pointed at the paper in his hands, it was a scraggly drawing, “This is what the place is probably going to look like.”

“Dang, that’s cool.”

“No, it’s terrible.”

“What?”

“It’s supposed to be a place where escaped criminals can come and do their drug stuff.”

“How do they get out?”

“One answer.”

“Bob?”

“Bingo.”

“So…um…how’s everybody else?”

“I don’t know. How are they? How are you? I’m getting you guys out of here.”

“What?” La’Toya was shocked, a kidnapper returning the kidnapped. Woah.

“Here’s how it’s going…”

***

There was a loud gunshot. They all stopped and jumped. Then looked up. Bob stood there.

“What the hell are you doing huh? I bet you started it you mother fuckin’ brat! Damnit! Why the fuck can’t you listen?” Bob was making his way towards Nick, quickly.

“Bob, I think you need to settle down and slow down. You have a gun in your hand! You could shoot somebody. High blood pressure happens easily in 50 year olds like yourself ya know.”

Cole elbowed her brother, “Shut up!”

“What? It’s true!”

Bob stopped straight in front of Nick. He raised his hand to hit him but was distracted.

“Sir?” Alladen stood at the door. “If you like I can deal with them. There’s something I’d like to tell them anyway.”

Bob frowned, distracted, “ Take the girls, I wanna deal with him.”

“Sir, I think-“ Alladen stopped, noticing he sounded too needy and desperate,” Alright, ladies. Come on.”

Cole and Monique looked at each other and decided to go with Alladen. They followed him our. Before Cole was out the door she turned and yelled, “Steve started it! And don’t you fuck with my brother!”

The door slammed shut.

***

Cole and Monique were met with a truck. And La’Toya was against it, her head against the window.

They ran towards her, both talking and laughing, loudly.

Alladen immediately silenced them, “Too loud, way too loud. Look, I’ll be getting you all out of here, now.”

“What about Nick?” asked La’Toya, who seemed not to be in any pain, although she was.

“I’ll get him, don’t worry.”

“Worry about what?”

They all jumped and turned around. Steve stood there.

“I heard everything Alladen. So, you wanna get these brats out of here huh?” Steve turned and yelled, “BOB!

“It’s not good to be a tattle tale.”

“It’s not good to be a bitch either,” Steve sneered back. Cole glared at him.

Bob walked out,” What?” Nick wasn’t with him.

Steve walked over and whispered in Bob’s ear. Bob nodded and looked at Alladen.

“So, I have a liar and a cheat working for me? I don’t like those kind.” Bob pulled out his gun and raised it to Alladen’s head, “You never go against me Alladen, never.” He pulled the trigger and Alladen fell to the ground. No blood, just a hole in his head. He was dead.

Monique, Cole, and La’Toya screamed. Then they tried to run. Bob fired another shot at the ground. They froze.

“Where’s Nick? If you hurt him I will-“

“Right here.” Nick stood there, his eyes wide. Tony stood behind him, smiling.

They all stood there silently, not saying a word. They stood there for what seemed like forever, but was only minutes.

“It’s only about,” Bob looked at his watch, “7:55. Are yall ready to work yet? Or eat?” He laughed softly.

They all looked at each other. Each one challenging another. The 4 kids stood together and eyed the 3 adults. The 3 adults did the same. They were scared, the kids, they were trying to protect one another, making threats they’d never fulfill. One was more vulnerable then the other. La’Toya, Monique, Cole, Nick. In that order. From most vulnerable to least vulnerable, or was it the other way around? The one boy was stronger then all of the girls because of genes but because he was the boy, was he most vulnerable? Or least because he was a boy?







A/N: aaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhh. Gotta crack the back. Oh no it won’t crack. Did I do good? Longest chapter I’ve ever written. I stuck with it. Stuck with typing it out. Thanks to Phaedra for writing about 7 or 8 pages of it! You type it out Phaedra! Gosh darnit. I have a word in here somewhere that is probably misspelled, bon a petit? I don’t know how you spell it. And I ain’t changing it! Gosh darnit. Well, Alladen’s dead. Poor Alladen. Review and maybe possibly tell me what you think? :o)