- Text Size +
Chapter 7

“Rise and shine my little chickadees!” Tony yelled.

One by one each of the four slowly awoke. “Hate to wake up to that everyday.” Nick said, waking La’Toya.

“Okay, y’all we’re heading to the pb.”

“We didn’t do anything…well, if we did…it was Cole, I swear, she sleepwalks.” Nick yawned, stretching.

“Oh, shut up,” yawned Cole.

They walked to the pb where Steve and Bob were waiting patiently. “Alright, let’s cut to the chase. We’ve been slacking. And we need to finish this place up before the new arrivals arrive so…if you want to eat, do what you’re told.”

“That’s not fair, you’re trying to starve us!” Monique cut in.

“No, really, shut up,” Steve said.

“As I was saying…” Bob spoke over them. “Nick and the Mexican chick-.”

“My name is Monique, get it straight.”

“I could care less, now you two go with Tony. And the rest go with Steve.”

They separated.

Nick and Monique went around back where there were wheel barrows laying around. “Choose one, take one. Get started on moving those dirt piles, over there to make room for more buildings and such.”

“Now why would we want to help you?” Nick raised an eyebrow.

Tony flashed his gun. “Well, that’s good enough for me,” Nick threw his hands up and grabbed a wheelbarrow.

“So, I’m thinking that you guys know how to work wheelbarrows and understand the concept of moving piles, so let’s not have any funny business.”

They started moving piles into one large pile. Almost 20 minutes into doing it, Nick went into a large coughing fit. He dropped the wheelbarrow as he sat down.

“Oh, stop,” Tony demanded from across the field. Monique gave Nick a worried look. He looked as if he was getting pale. She put the wheelbarrow down and went over to him.

“Is there a problem?” Came Tony’s voice, he sounded annoyed. Nick gave a ‘thumbs up’ sign and picked the wheelbarrow back up. Five minutes later, however, Nick completely froze. “What the-,” Tony started and stared incredulously at Nick. He was trembling and his eyes were red.

“Nick, you okay?” The words barely left Monique’s mouth when Nick collapsed onto the ground. She ran to his side, tripping over a pile of dirt in the process.

Nick’s breathing was very unstable, speeding up and slowing down. “He needs his insulin!” Monique screamed at Tony.

“No, he needs his ass beat,” Tony laughed. “A real good ass-.”

“That’s…not funny.” Monique glared at him and turned back to Nick and softly slapped his cheeks. “Wake up, Nick. Come on.”

“Really. Now get off the ground and back to work. Before I beat both of your ass beating deserving asses!” Tony leaned back and watched Nick and Monique closely. Soon, Monique helped Nick up and wiped him off.

“Stop looking worried,” Nick said. “I’m fine.” He shook his head and softly pushed Monique towards her wheelbarrow.

***

“Cole, you’re getting on my damn last nerve, you know!” La’Toya yelled, scooting away with the wheelbarrow. “That is gonna be the last time you will dump your damn shit in my path.”

“Well, make a different path! I’ll put my shit wherever I want to!”

“The hell you will.”

“Stop arguing like a baby, Toy, it’s not very attractive.”

Steve looked at his watch. For 20 minutes now, they’ve been arguing. ‘Sure,’ he thought, ‘they’re not getting anything done but it’s still fun to watch.’

“You’re trying to tell me what’s attractive? Shut up you stupid slut, you can’t even find a man! And no honey, I’m not talking about the ones that pay you 5 bucks a night.”

“I am so sick of you mouth, Toya. All you ever do is talk crap.”

“And all you ever do is get us into crap! Damn, Cole, if it wasn’t for you, we wouldn’t be in this mess.”

“Don’t point fingers, Toya.”

“Oh, bitch…you’re to blame. Don’t act all innocent. We all know you aren’t.”

“Alright, Toy, let’s go! Come on!” Cole shoved the wheelbarrow away and picked up a small rock. She threw it at La’Toya, totally missing. Steve opened his mouth and closed it.

“What?” La’Toya threw down her wheelbarrow, too.

Cole saw a figure out of the corner of her eye. “You see that?”

“Oh, don’t change the subject now, girl. It’s on, it’s on.” La’Toya got into a karate stance.

Cole started to laugh.

“Oh no honey, this ain’t no laughing matter.”

Cole smirked, “Okay, La’Toya. One, get up cause I don’t want you to get stuck like that and two, I really did see something.”

La’Toya laughed and stood up, “You don’t know but I was really bout to kick your goofy ass.”

“Hey, Steve, you seen my uncle around here?”

La’Toya and Cole swung around. A tall, dark haired man glared at them. “Well, nice to see you two. You guys are Shawn’s friends, correct?”

“Okay, first I blamed him for his shit. But now I know. He comes from a long line of assholes,” La’Toya looked the man up and down in disgust.

“I’d watch it if I was you.”

“Or what?”

“You don’t want to end up like poor old Alladen, do you?”

“Let’s see you try to make us.”

The man, Shawn’s cousin, aimed his gun at La’Toya’s head. “Don’t test me.”

“Right, oh, as a matter of fact. Shouldn’t we get to eat soon? I’m starving…”

The man lowered his gun and blew a kiss to the two girls.

***

Nick and Monique were already seated when Cole and La’Toya came marching in. “Oh, this should be a treat,” Cole joke as the went for the table.

“So was yall’s day as exciting as ours?” La’Toya asked, taking a seat across from Monique.

“Depends on what your idea of fun is,” Monique replied. She gave Nick a worried glance.

Cole saw it and spoke up, “What’s wrong, guys?”

“Nothing,” he lied softly.

“Are you sure?”

“Well-,” Nick cut Monique off.

“No, really Mo, shut it,” mumbled Nick, getting up from his seat.

Monique got up with him and stepped in front of him. “Nick, please…”

“Please what?” He grabbed her arm in a tight grip, glaring into her eyes. “You just won’t stop, will you? I said drop it and I mean it too.”

Monique snatched it away and glared back at him. “You know, don’t tell me to drop shit. You’re the one who holds everything in. You act like you’re got it all together, but you don’t. You’re always getting beat, raped, or having a damn fit, like a damn-,” Nick shoved her away from him hard. She fell backwards over a chair, hitting her nose. Blook trickled out. Nick moved towards her.

La’Toya pushed him away and helped Monique up. Nick grabbed her arm, “Move.”

“Fuck you, Nick! All you ever do is damn lie!”

Nick grabbed a hold of her shirt and slammed her into a chair.

“Nick!” Cole yelled, jumping up. He ignored her.

“I never lied to you.”

“Yes you did! You always tell us that everything will be alright. We all put our trust in you. We all believe everything will be alright. Because you said it will.” La’Toya began crying. “And then you’re not even okay. Why the hell do you pull this shit on us, Nick? Huh?”

“What?” He let go of her.

“Why are you not telling us that something’s wrong with you? Why are you hurting yourself?”

“Well, I don’t find trouble and stuff. It finds me and I can’t hide and-,”

“But you can make it stop!”

“How then?”

“Do what you used to do.” Monique grabbed his shoulder. “A couple of months ago you’d tell people when you were in pain. I wasn’t scared for you cause I knew you’d tell us if something was wrong. But now, you don’t tell us anything. And now, you’re acting like it’s a sin for us to be worried about you.”

The doors burst open and Bob walked in with a plastic plate. “Lunch time!”

Nick pulled away from Monique and moved away.

“You okay?” Cole asked as he sat beside her.

“Yea, fine.”

“Now what in yall’s right minds would make you say shit like that to him?”

Monique wiped her eyes. “I told him exactly what he needed to hear.”

“That he’s weak?” Monique ignored her. She and La’Toya then joined Nick and Cole as Bob looked at all of them weirdly. Then he uncovered the plate.

“This is a damn joke!” Cole cried, punching the table. “Is that mud? Bob, are you feeding us mud?”

“No, it’s chocolate.”

“No, it’s shit,” La’Toya grumbled.

“Guess you’ll never find out unless you give it a try.”

“Bob, those are real worms.”

“Which are a great source of protein.”

“Yea, you keep telling yourself that.”

“Better eat up kids, you’ll need your energy.”

Bob walked out of the building but then poked his head back in. “And, um, I wouldn’t try to leave if I was you. Guarding every entrance with people with loaded guns.” Bob slammed and locked the rickety door.

Everyone turned back to the mess in front of them while Nick got up and began to search around the room.

“What are you looking for?” La’Toya asked him.

“This stuff.” He grabbed a bag off of a chair and dumped it on the table. Candy bars and granola bars came out.

“Nick, you’re brilliant.”

“Have you known that was there the entire time?”

“No. But last time I was sent to Bob…he was grumbling about how he couldn’t find his stash or something. And he said it was in a bag like this. Ha, sent to Bob, sent to the principal.”

They all smiled, although it wasn’t that funny. And started digging in. “So what are we going to do with the mud and crap?” Cole asked.

Nick dug into the pile and threw it at her. “That.”

“Nick, you’re dead, how the hell am I gonna get this out of my hair?”

Nick shrugged and put some down her shirt. She shrieked.

Within seconds, the group was into a full food fight. Nick and Monique tipped over a table and got behind it as Cole and La’Toya had all the mud.

“Nick, I didn’t mean everything I said.”

Nick glanced at her. “Yea right.” He wiped some mud off his face and threw it at Cole. But instead, it hit La’Toya in her face.

“Nickolas Carter, you are dead meat!” She yelled. She grabbed more mud to throw at him but then suddenly saw a map sitting on a nearby table. “Guys, come here.”

“Don’t set us up!”

“No, really, come here.” Everyone got up and walked to her. “Nick, do you have any clue when’s the next time Bob’s leaving?”

“I don’t know…tomorrow? He hasn’t left at all.” Nick shrugged.

“Well, he told me today, but I don’t know.” Cole sagged against her brother, yawning.

“Okay.” La’Toya showed them the map.

“What is that?” Nick leaned over, letting Cole fall.

“A map.”

“Of what?”

“Here, see, this place, that place…I think…”

“Brilliant.” Nick pursed his lips as he looked at it.

“I have this crazy idea. It might work…” La’Toya looked over the map quickly, tracing her finger over a long line.

“Well, what is it?”

Just at that moment footsteps could be heard running up to the building. “It’s Bob,” Monique whispered.

“Go through those double door things over there. I think it’s the kitchen. There’s a hole in the ground on the…left side.” They heard a key being inserted in the lock. “I’ll be right behind you.”

“Are you coming?” Monique stood up.

“Right behind you.” La’Toya answered. She watched everyone disappear behind the doors. She picked up a chair and threw it through a fake window. The crash sounded just as Bob came through the door.

“What was that!” Bob howled. “What happened!”

“Your nephew!” She cried.

“What?”

“He took everybody and jetted.”

“Where to?” Bob said, stepping around a fallen chair. He shook his head, not believing a word she said.

“If I knew, would I still be here?”

Bob moved towards her and grabbed her by the throat. “If you’re lying, I’ll kill you.” He pushed her away. She tripped over a chair and fell, cutting her arm on a piece of wood. Steve and Tony then came jogging in.

“Steve…go take her to the smaller building to the right. And don’t you dare let her out of your sight.” He looked at Tony. “Go find my nephew. Bring him straight to me. No ifs, ands, or buts about it.” Tony left while Steve grabbed La’Toya and took her straight to her room.

***

“Is this tunnel ever gonna end?” Cole complained.

“I’m getting nervous,” Monique said softly, glancing behind her.

“About what? Did you hear something?”

“No.”

“See something?”

“No.”

“What then?” Cole asked, stopping.

“Toya, she should’ve caught up by now.”

“You’re right.”

“Guys, keep going. La’Toya will be fine,” Nick said.

“How can you be so sure?” Monique crossed her arms.

“Because…I just know okay?”

“Guys, there’s actually light!” Cole smiled as she went towards it. Seeing it was a door she pushed it open and looked around. There seemed to be car parts and the place smelled of oil. Cole quickly walked in. Nick and Monique followed.

“Why did she put us at this spot?” Cole inquired, looking through the garage type thing.

“Maybe cause it’s hiding spot…and cause this is a car garage thing so there must be a car somewhere…maybe, here?” Nick pulled a cover off of a small one person truck. “Somebody’s doing some work.”

“What are you talking about?” Cole mumbled as she walked over.

“I’m guessing this stupid thing can go really fast. Like a hundred. That’s more than I can say for those other damn trucks. And it has gas…”

“Oh…my gosh!” Monique ran her fingers through her hair.

“What?” The twins said in unison.

“Work clothes and hats and…stuff…”

“What’s your point,” Nick sighed.

“Disguise someone and get out of here. But I doubt they have anyone working here right now and-“

“What’s left to lose?” Nick grabbed the clothes and shoved them into Monique’s arms. “Put them on. If we can even get through, only one person can.” Monique frowned.

“Then it should be you.” She tried to give them back to him.

“No, you don’t wanna put your trust into me. I’m putting mine into you.”

“Nick-“ He quickly grabbed her and hugged her tight.

“I’m sorry,” he whispered in her ear. “Just go. You’ll be fine. Even if they catch you and us, they won’t kill you. Or hurt you. So just at least try. Me and Cole’ll go get Toya. Or go to her.” He pulled away from her. He handed the clothes to her. She smiled softly up at him.

Monique then quickly put on the overalls, hat, and the glasses. Everything hung off of her. Nick laughed.

“Okay, let’s do this.” Monique climbed inside. “Breath, stretch, shake, let it go.”

They all laughed. “We’ll watch you go,” Cole promised.

Monique took and deep breath and grabbed the steering wheel as Nick turned on the ignition. “Just like driving a go-kart.”

Cole gave her a final awkward hug, “Ready?”

“As I’ll ever be.”

Nick went to the garage and lifted it up. “Let’s do this.”


***







Okay, so end of that chapter! Cool huh? Haha, Phaedra wrote that whole chapter (with me changing a couple of things) so big hand to her! Yay! Thanks for reading!