- Text Size +
Barbara hadn’t lied to Nick. She did go to the appointment. Actually it was a semi-formal meeting at the ‘’Pearl’’. She had always hated these sit-arounds in fancy restaurants, so usually let the executives or managers to have the fun.

The manufacturers from Hong Kong, with which was the appointment set, were feeling really honored that she attended.

Honor here or honor there, it was an opportunity for Barbara to forget. Forget Nick and the time with him. At moments when she listened to what the other people were talking about she fell into a state similar to a daydream. Over and over again memories about Nick emerged in her mind. Every little detail about him whirled in her mind – the sound of his voice, the way he touched her, and all the nice little things he had done for her...that reminded her how much she missed him... and with every second she did miss him more, because it was her own fault. She could’ve been with him tonight, not with these boring businessmen.

She needed to distract herself from the thoughts about Nick. So she joined a discussion about the silk production in China. Honestly, she had never been interested in China’s economy, but this time she was ready to discuss even elephant wedding gowns to dismiss the thoughts about Nick.

Every distraction from the reality has an end so soon she found herself again in her house. At this moment she hated the spacious rooms and the bright light coming from the chandeliers. All she wanted was to crawl into a dark hole and cry. She kept calm until she had to go to bed, but as she got into the covers she just couldn’t stop thinking about Nick. She wanted to call him and tell him that she needs him right now.

Holding the cell phone in her hand and browsing the address book for his number, her mother’s voice muttered in her mind a virtuous girl never takes the first step...the man has always to make it...even if you feel like approaching him first, don’t do that! He will think that you’re a whore and will never get serious with you...

She threw the phone back on the bed and run down to the kitchen.
She found the bottle of cognac and grabbed a glass for it. She slowly strolled back to her room hoping that the artificial mix will help her to forget him. She took out the pill boxes from the drawer and took exactly the same amount of them as she had taken yesterday. Sure, she was a little drowsy all day, but still...her dreams at night were empty and the physical exhaustion in the morning was a more important thing to think about than anything else...

She swallowed the pills and flushed then down with a hearty sip of the beverage. She scuttled back into her bed, once again squeezing the bunny. The sleepiness made by the pills mix conquered her within a few minutes. Nick, I’m doing this only for your sake.


Nick didn’t feel right all evening. He had never felt that way...really, never. He realized that he felt so lonely. And it wasn’t caused by the need of a sexual encounter, no. He just wanted to have that feeling...that she’s there. She seemed so real to him. She wasn’t like the babes he usually picked for short flings. But these babes never awakened any kind of feelings in him; he just kicked them out of his house the next morning. None of their tears ever arouse even the slightest craving to be with them longer as necessary to shut the door after them.

He wandered back in his memories about Barbara and envisioned the moment when he tried to comfort her after her emotional breakdown at the manor. I could always wipe away these tears. No, I could do everything to not make her cry again.

Actually he had never believed that he could feel that way for someone. Maybe I feel for her that way because she is so real to me? She wants only me...and not the spotlight around me...

He crawled into the bed and felt happy because he still had chances to see her tomorrow. He knew that he was acting like a kid, but whatever. It made him feel good, and since a long time, he hadn’t undergone that feeling. I just have to show her that she’s special for me...

The next morning as Barbara woke up it was the same as yesterday. A terrible headache, some cover up make up.
What would Nick say about what I did last night? Would he care?

She remembered how her ex-boyfriend Devon’s attitude towards her was. He was always distant and never talked about his feelings.
‘’Devon, dear, I don’t feel so good tonight. Maybe we could stay at home tonight?’’
‘’You know that this will be a hyper cool party? Even Spielberg will be there! And he rarely goes to clubs...’’
‘’I don’t want to go...’’
‘’Please, you got the invite! This is all VIP and without you they won’t even notice me.’’


At that time, she thought that he was acting that way only because he wanted to show the world how much he loves her. Now she knew that he just wanted to schmooze with all those celebrities, not being with her. Would Nick need me for publicity? I don’t know...but I don’t mind if I was on a cover of some magazines with him...he’s so cute! What am I thinking? We had a fun time together, that’s all.

As Barbara opened the door of her office, the first thing she noticed was a noticeable scent of roses. She looked at her table and saw that a big bouquet of red roses was placed on her table.
‘’Claudia, what’s that?’’ she asked, being really astonished.
‘’If you mean the roses, they were delivered this morning...’’ Claudia said concentrating more on the box of candy she had hid in the drawer of her desk.
‘’From whom?’’ Barbara wanted to know, though she was quite sure that it from some of her business partners...

‘’This is what I’m thinking about all morning... it wasn’t said from whom... I’m just so curious to know what’s in the pink envelope, but it was written there that it’s only for you to read...’’
There is surely nothing special about it, Barbara thought but still rushed to the bouquet to get the envelope, which was attached to it. There was something written on the envelope, she didn’t recognize the handwriting and it didn’t seem that it was sent from a company, because they usually use printed labels.

There was a card in it. A cute little puppy on a background with roses was on the cover. Her heart jumped. Could it really be from Nick? With lightly shaking hands, she opened the card and started to read.
Dear Barbara,
I hope you haven’t forgotten me yet.
I have to confess-you have really caught me. I think about you all the time. God, I do miss you so much! Do you miss me even a bit?
I would be really happy if you’d like to meet me today. I’ll call you after 3pm, ok?
Love,
Nick


Barbara read the card over and over again. Sure, it was just a little card but...she had never received something like this. Each week there were lots of flowers sent to her office, but those were all corporative. Congratulations for signing an agreement with us and so on...Never, really, never she had gotten something for her personally, showing so much affection.

She remembered that Devon had never done things like that. He was not trying to do something sweet for her. She was always the one who booked a restaurant or a weekend in Paris. And Devon always took everything I did for him as it has to be so...that only I have to care. In those few days Nick has done a lot more...Didn’t I always dream about someone who would be like that? What if everything I did with Nick was right? It...felt so right for me....like never before....