- Text Size +
Prologue

There are places I’ll remember
All my life though some have changed
Some forever not for better
Some have gone and some remain
All these places have their moments
With lovers and friends I still can recall
Some are dead and some are living
In my life I’ve loved them all
But of all these friends and lovers
There is no one compares with you


As the Beatles have sung, places do have their moments. Moments you do not know are coming but when they happen they change your life forever. These instant moments unexpectedly turn into your life. A life you never imagined would be yours bringing situations you were forced to face that seemed like the end of the world. I naturally expected my life to unfold the way it is normally thought to. I believed I would grow up being surrounded by many friends, find a good job and have total direction in my life, realizing the person I was and what I wanted to accomplish. As an old woman, I can look back now and plainly see that fate had a different plan for me and that my original plan which I though would bring me happiness was in fact heading in the opposite direction. I was bound to take the hard road in order to achieve meaning for myself. I did not have an easy life but having it tough has molded me into a complete person. I was able to finally see who I was and that my purpose on this earth was to lift someone who was significantly needier than I. Most young people do not realize it at the time but life is not a perfect predictable journey. I can argue from experience that it is unpredictable and the harder you try to fight it the bigger the challenge you are going to endure. I did not know it at the time but my biggest challenge, which turned into a lifelong endeavor, has forced me to see the world for what it really is and just how much of an impact someone can have on your life. I never thought that the suffering this person has caused me would result in gratitude in the end. He walked into my life just as I was giving up all hope of ever finding love in this world. I was soon to realize that his feelings mimicked mine and that he needed me just as much as I needed him. Although our relationship was doomed and we both knew there was little hope for a renewed life together my heart yearned for the security only a romantic relationship could give. I knew he could not provide it for me but I also felt that no one else could. He was aware of the suffering he handed me every day and the impossibility of ending it, and yet he loved me. He loved me with his whole heart and did not know why that was not enough to find serenity for his aching soul. I loved him back and I did not know why. He was both the demon and the angel on my shoulder. His mind brought the pain that overruled his pure heart. In my old age I can recall our story, my life and his. It is a story of doomed love but of two people with pure intentions and hopes that they could be the light for each other’s dark and cruel world.