- Text Size +
You’ve got mail, rang her speakers as the bold words flashed across the screen of her silver Apple laptop. She read the message at the top of her Hotmail email account which told her she had one new email. This was nothing out of the ordinary for her. She expected to see the usual forward from a friend or cheesy advertisement from a company just trying to scam money out of innocent people. She opened the email anyway in hopes of getting a bit of a laugh out of it. But what she got was much worse and it only made her feel bad about her current situation as a common bachlorette. She viewed the screen which read:
Find True Love Fast!!
Visit www.hookmeup.com and let us search for your soul mate for you. Just enter a few details about yourself to create a simple profile which will connect you to hundreds of possible matches searching for a love like you. It’s a fast and affordable way to meet the person of your dreams. Your fantasy relationship is just a click away!
That was all she needed to start off her morning, an email reminding her of just how single she was and how impossible it was for her to find love, ever. She quickly clicked the delete button and shut down her computer. She wasn’t really in the mood to search the web anymore, for fear of running into any more advertisements lying about how easy love is to find. But it wasn’t for her. She had never been in love and her desire for it had only grown deeper the longer she had been without it. She thought by now she would be married to a wonderful man or at least in an exciting relationship with someone special. But she realized that it wasn’t going to happen for her. She had been single for too long and it seemed impossible that she was going to find love now. She had been hopeful for years that she would meet Mr. Right but just recently she had given up hope. She felt forced to live a single life without a companion at her side. Sometimes it seemed that finding the right man was the most important thing and that without one she would not be complete. But she was perfectly happy being a single woman, or at least she pretended to be.
“Hello,” she answered as she ran to answer the phone in her living room.
“Hey Abby, how’s it going hun?”
“Umm… okay. Why are you calling me so early in the morning? It’s only 8:00am and you’re usually not up for another hour at the earliest, especially since it’s a Saturday.”
“What, I can’t call my best friend on a Saturday morning to see how she is?”
“Come on Laney, I know you wouldn’t be calling me this early just to see how I am. What is it that you want?”
“Who says I want something?” laughed Laney.
“Because you would never call me this early just to talk. You either want my help, want me to give you something, or you could be up to something. Now which of the three is it?”
“God, Abby, you know me too well. Okay so I woke up early for some strange reason this morning and I just couldn’t get back to sleep. So I turned on the radio to wake me up a bit and the radio DJ was announcing some sort of contest.”
“What kind of contest?” asked Abby a little hesitant.
“I wasn’t really sure at the time because I just caught the tail end of what he was saying. All I heard was that you had to call in and be caller number seven to win the prize. Being my spur of the moment self I picked up the phone and dialed the station’s number and I surprisingly got through, and guess what, I was lucky caller number seven!” exclaimed Laney with much excitement.
“So what did you win?”
“I won the two of us a pair of passes for a free dance lesson over at that new dance studio downtown!” she screamed.
“We aren’t seriously going are we?” asked Abby with the sound of disappointment and annoyance in her voice.
“What? You love to dance and I thought you’d be at least a little bit excited. A thank you would be nice too!”
“Well that’s true. I do love to dance but dancing in a club and taking a dance lesson are two different things. Being surrounded by all those huge mirrors being forced to watch myself screw up the moves doesn’t sound that fun to me, and I’m not too partial to learning choreography either.”
“It could be fun though. It’s a salsa dancing lesson. Who knows, there could be some cute guys there. Maybe you’ll get paired up with one,” Laney said with a giggle.
“What guy would take salsa dancing lessons?”
“I don’t know, a smart one I guess. It would be a good way to pick up a girl because the class would obviously be full of them.”
“Yeah I guess you’re right but I’m still not convinced.”
“Aww come on Abby. Do it for me. Even if it’s not your thing I’m sure we’ll get some good laughs out of it later. Plus I know you don’t have any plans for tonight.”
She was right. Abby didn’t have any plans for tonight and she could use sometime away from her small apartment. So she decided to give her best friend the benefit of the doubt and take a risk, which was not something she did very often.
“Oh okay. But can we go out for a drink after because I think I’m going to need it after all the dancing. In fact maybe we should make it two drinks,” laughed Abby.
“Sounds like a plan and for agreeing to do this the drinks are on me hun.”
“I wouldn’t have it any other way,” she said as the two laughed hysterically.
“Okay, I’ll call you later Lane. Bye bye.”
“Bye.”
As Abby hung of the phone she felt the feeling of regret begin to simmer in her emotions. Why did she agree to go to the dance lesson? She knew she was a pretty good dancer but only when it came to casual dancing with her friends or the occasional guy at a club. There was no way she was going to succeed at the salsa. She had two left feet when it came to any kind of choreography and she certainly did not want to be paired up with some strange and potentially creepy guy for such an intimate dance. But she couldn’t back down now. She had promised her best friend and she was not one to go back on her word. Her morals were too strong for that. She believed the greatest attribute anyone could have were their good morals. She treasured hers and never thought she would give them up for anything, or anyone.
She got up off her lazy boy chair and headed for her bedroom down the hall to get dressed and ready for her morning run on the beach. This was her favourite part of the day as she felt free and that she could rid herself from her stress, at least for an hour that is.