- Text Size +
The months seemed to fly by. Alana occasionally got a phone call from Nick, usually on the holidays. She had called him on his 24th birthday. She had caught him while he was in the middle of getting ready to leave for his birthday party that Paris was throwing him. So she only got to talk to him for a few minutes.

The next call she received from Nick was on her 24th birthday, on April 24rd. This time, he actually talked to her for about two hours, mostly how much he and Paris were having fun and yada yada, yada on more Paris.

Then the phone calls suddenly went to email. She was lucky if she got an email one every two weeks. She finally gave up and figured he was too busy to give her the time of day.

It was a hot and humid evening in the beginning of August as the sun went down. Alana was sitting on her back porch overlooking her yard. She had a doctor’s appointment again in three days. She had had one in June, but her doctor, Dr. Elision, had said that she has made a remarkable improvement and that he had do tests again so ensure that her body was healthy again.

She had heard read about and watched on television about Nick and Pairs’ breakup and the rumors that were flying around that he physically abused her. He would never do that, would he? She thought.

As Alana collected her empty glass, she heard the phone ring. Going inside, she set her glass on the counter near the sink and answered the phone.

“Hello?” She asked.

“Lana?” The voice on the other end asked.

She almost dropped the phone.

“Nick?” She choked. She hadn't heard his voice in months.

“Yah, it’s me,” he answered.

There was silence for a few moments.

“I didn’t hurt her Lana,” he said, his voice quivering.

Alana couldn’t say anything. She was still in shock that he called her.

“I want to come home Lana,” he said, still a quiver in his voice.

“W-w-here are you?” She finally asked.

“TPA,” He answered “The conference room near gate 365.”

She sighed. “Okay.”

“Thanks,” he said in a small voice.

It took about a half hour to get through the traffic to Tampa International Airport. She was stopped at the parking gate. She showed them her special pass to park right near the fire exit doors; the doors that they always went out.

Alana had thrown on a black short beach skirt, a white tank top and black adidas sport sandals. Her light brown hair was thrown into a ponytail.

She made her way up to the conference room near gate 365. Two men in suits and sunglasses were standing outside the door. She showed them her pass once again, so that she could gain access to the room.

“Nice to see you again Ms. Patterson,” One of the big men said.

She smiled politely and they closed the door behind her quickly. Nick was sitting slumped in an armchair with head buried in his coat. Alana cautiously moved toward the chair and stood a few feet in front of it.

“Nick?” She whispered.

He slid the coat down and looked up. His blue eyes were a dull gray color and Alana could see the bags under his eyes. His face was all scruffy, like he hadn’t shaved in a week or two. He had no color to his face, at all. She slipped her hand over her face.

“You look awful,” She said quietly.

He nodded.

Nick was wearing a pair of blue faded jeans, a white plain shirt, black dress boots and his black coat in his hands. His hair was all messed up like he hadn’t done a thing to it in a couple of days. He looked up at her as if he was searching for comfort. Alana didn’t know what to do. She was angry at him for not calling her. She was angry at him for not coming to visit. She was just angry at him.

She reached out and took his hand. He followed her to the door. He felt some type of security as he held her hand tighter. He didn’t want to let go. The two big men in suits followed them down the fire exit doors and to her car. Nick got in the passenger side without saying a word. He just wanted to get away; away from everything and everyone. The ride home was quiet and what seemed long. She pulled into her garage and turned off the car. He got out and followed her to the door as she unlocked it.

“Where’s your stuff?” She asked as she set her purse and keys on the kitchen counter.

“It’ll be here in a couple of days,” He answered quietly.

“How much stuff are you talking?” Alana asked.

He looked at her with his grey blue eyes that were lifeless.

“Everything,” He answered.
~**********~