- Text Size +
Nick drove Alana's grand am the hour and a half drive to Orlando. He had packed an overnight bag because he was staying at AJ's house. He got to his house about 4:30 that afternoon. They both had plans to go to the tattoo palor in an hour.

The two of them walked into Tracy's Tattoos. Tracy Swain was a good friend of AJ's and did a lot of his tattoos. She covered up Nick's wrist with a picture of a skull and cross bones, with the saying "Old Habits Die Hard." He gritted his teeth in pain, but went through with it. Why did I ever think to put her name of my wrist? How stupid could I have been?
~**********~

While Nick was in Orlando, Alana was home sorting out his stuff in her basement. She had finished all of his laundry and hung it all in the closet in the extra bedroom. He had so much stuff, she couldn't believe it. I need to buy a bigger house, she thought. What am I going to do with all this stuff?

Meanwhile, back at AJ's house, AJ was taking his clippers to Nick's hair. This made Nick feel like he was starting fresh. The two friends retired to the kitchen where they both pulled out their packages of cigarettes.
~**********~

Alana curled up on the couch in the living room dressed in one of Nick's blue shirts. It was 11:30 that night. She missed him. As much as she didn't want to admit it, she missed having him around all the time. She missed talking with him. She just missed him. Alana reached for the cordless phone and dialed Nick's cell phone. After three rings, his voicemail picked up.

"Hey sorry I missed your call, Leave me one and I'll try to get back to ya," his voice said.

Alana took a deep breath and started talking. I know I shouldn't do this, but..I miss him and I just can't keep it to myself anymore...

"Hey, it's me. It's about 11:30 and I'm sitting home, wishing I was out having fun like you and AJ . Just wanted to tell you that I miss you. I know that sounds corny, But I do. Talk to you later." She hung up.
~**********~

AJ and Nick got back about an hour later, after playing poker with some friends at a local bar downtown. He took his cell phone out of his pocket and checked his voicemail. He listened to his messages and smiled when he hear Alana's voice. She hardly ever left him voicemails.

"Yo AJ, I gotta run," he said grabbing his bag and heading for the door. She misses me! That's so great! What am I hangin around here?My girl needs me!!!

His friend looked at him with a puzzled look.

"Where are you going?" AJ asked opening a bottle of water and taking a sip.

Nick paused and looked at him.

"I gotta go home," he answered.

"Home?" AJ asked "To LA?"

Nick laughed.

"No, dude. Tampa," he said.

"Ah," AJ said.

Nick got into Alana's car and set for the drive back to Tampa. Home, he thought, Home was where Alana was.
~**********~

Alana climbed into bed around 1:00 that morning. She snuggled under the covers and drifted off to sleep. Nick pilled into the garage a little after 1:30 a.m. He sped the entire way home. Quietly unlocking the door, he set his things near the kitchen table. He slipped onto the back porch for a quick cigarrette. He inhaled the smoke, making him feel at ease. After a few more drags, he put out the but on the porch railing and ficked its remains in the yard below. He made his way down to her bedroom. The door was opened and Nick saw her sleeping on her side, the comforter pulled up halfway around her. He slid off his shirt and pants and quietly went into the bathroom. Looking in the mirror, he rubbed his buzzed hair and smiled.

Nick climbed in bed from the other side. He layed on his side, putting his elbow under his head and watched her sleep. Just like an angel, he thoughtAlana shifted in her sleep. As she moved her arm, she hit something. She moved her hand up along Nick's bare shoulder until she found his hand. She entwined her fingers within his, smiled and moved closer to him. She snuggled right up to his back. He smiled as he played with her fingers.

"I thought you were staying at AJ's," she said sleepily

Nick turned over so that he was facing her. Her eyes adjusted to the darkness of the room and she noticed his hair.

"Your hair!" she cried softly "it's gone!"

She rubbed her hands over his shaved head over and over again. He laughed and caught both of her hands with his.

"I like it," Alana said "it's a good change."
~**********~