- Text Size +
Nick opened the black duffel bag. He rummaged through it and found some of his favorite clothes. He was really touched by it. She had taken care of him even regarding the fact that she didn't have to take so much care about him. God, she even didn't have to help bail me out. She is so perfect, but I mess up all the time. Inside a small green bag was all his personal items-toothbrush, toothpaste, comb, gel, deoderant, razor and shaving cream. He grabbed the small green bag, a pair of boxers, black mesh shorts, and a white t-shirt. He shut the door to the bathroom and proceeded to take a shower.

Alana was laying on the bed watching some aimless televison show. She sighed heavily and closed her eyes. She couldn't believe she had flown all the way to California just for Nick. She had never done anything like this for him. It's not like he would fly back home from the middle of his tour just to see her, would he? I believe he would if only he could. I'm now just too angry with him so I start to bring up the bad things...He has always remembered me...it's just his life..I think he doesn't know where he wants to go with... She looked at the clock by the bed, it was only 4:00 p.m. She was so tired from the flight and the jet lag had finally caught up with her.

Nick came out of the bathroom refreshed. He left the hotel towel over the bathtub edge. He left his dirty clothes by his black duffel bag near the couch so that they were out of the way. Sitting back down on the couch, he grabbed the ashtray from the end table and put it on the coffee table in front of him. He picked up his cell phone and pack of cigarettes from the ziploc bag. Dialing Frank's number, he lit of a cigarette.

"Hey, Frank, It's Nick," He said "Would you do me a favor and go out and get me a carton of cigarettes and stop someplace to pick up dinner for everyone? Thanks dawg."

He took a long drag of the cigarette, savoring the inhale, then blowing out the cloud of smoke out his mouth and nose. As he turned on the televison, he finished his cigarette and put it out in the ash tray that sat in front of him. Nick made himself comfortable on the couch and watched television. At least she didn't leave right away,he thought, watching some pointless sitcom.
~**********~

About a half an hour later, there was a knock on the door. Nick got up and looked out the peephole of the white hotel door. Seeing that it was Frank with food, he unlocked the door and then him in. Frank handed Nick the receipts. He looked at them, and then dug into this wallet and gave Frank what he owed him.

"Thanks man," Nick said offering him a place to sit down.

"No thanks," Frank replied "I need some sleep, it's been a long day."

He left and Nick locked the door behind him. He looked at the take out bag that sat on the table in front of him. It was from a Chinese place. Looking inside, he found a huge assortment of food, including eggrolls, rice, and fortune cookies.

Nick quietly opened the dividing doors to the other half of the room. Alana was curled up in the center of the bed sleeping. He brought the bag in with him and turned down the volume of the televison that set it on the dresser across the room.

"Lana," he whispered shaking her shoulder a little.

She moved a little to his touch, but then continued to sleep.

"Alana," he said a little louder and shaking her shoulder more.

Her eyes fluttered opened and focused on him.

"What?!?" she asked closing her eyes again and putting a pillow over her head.

"Frank got some food, thought you might be hungry," Nick answered.

Her stomach began to growl loudly enough for him to hear.

"Guess you are," he said.

Alana sat up and looked at the bag of food, which smelled good. She got her barings straight, forgetting that she was in California instead of Florida.

He handed her a fork and a dish of Chinese food, then left the room with the bag in hand.

He was sure she didn't want him to stay. He hadn't the strength to stay. If he stayed, he would have been fighting with the need to hug her and ask for forgiveness.
~**********~

A little while later, Alana opened the divider doors and found Nick watching televison. He looked up at her.

"I'm leaving tomorrow morning," she announced. "I have to get back to work."

"That's fine because I'm not staying either," he said.

Alana crossed her arms over her chest.

"I don't think you understand what I am saying Nick. I am leaving tomorrow without you," she stated seriously.

He looked at her with a dumbfounded look. She doesn't want me to come home? What is up with that?

"Why?" he asked

"Nick, I got a phone call at 2:30 in the morning from the police to come and get you. I took two personal days from work just to fly across the country because you asked me too," she answered.

"Yah? And you're point?" he asked, the sarcasm heard in his voice. He didn't want to sound this way. He just wanted so to go home so bad; to the place where he felt secure and loved and more importantly-to be with Alana.

She gave him an annoyed look. Ok, she thought, Two can play at this game.

"Listen ass-wipe, I don't want you home until you get your shit together," she said bluntly. He just has to understand that I'm not going to be on his beck and call all the time! I would do anything for him, but he has count my feelings and my life, too..its not always about him...
~**********~