- Text Size +
Alana woke up the next morning, to her alarm going off. It was 4:30 a.m. She turned on the side lamp as she sat up and stretched her body. She looked over at Nick. He was sleeping peacefully on the other side of the bed. She got up and sat on the other side of her bed and rubbed his bare arm. He moved a little, then shifted back into a deep sleep. There's no use for me to wake up. She'll be gone soon. I just can't keep getting my hopes up...with hopes that she...that she really wants to stay here with me? She didn't want to leave him today, but she knew that he was in good hands with A.J.

She took her shower and dressed in tan pants, a green tank top, and some sandels. She piled her damp hair on the top of her head and didn't bother with any makeup. She had the next few days off after she worked today. When she came out of the bathroom, she saw Nick, sitting up on the bed, talking on his cell phone. Who was calling him this early in the morning? she thought.

Nick hung up his phone. He really didn't want to hear about his friends partying it up with his ex-girlfriend, Paris. That meant more rumors would be flying around, more phone calls that he didn't want to deal with. He was so exhausted and still wanted to sleep. Alana sat down next to him. He gave her a small smile and handed her his cell phone. I thought I could handle everything...but it's good to know that she helps me...

"How are you feeling this morning?" she asked as she turned off his phone and put it in the top drawer of the side end table, that was next to the bed.

"Eh, a little better, I guess," he answered, as he shrugged his shoulders. "I'm sorry for being such a pain in the ass."

"It's okay, just don't give A.J. a hard time today," she said "I have to work until 6:30 tonight. I am pulling a 12 1/2 hour day today."

Nick raised his eyebrows at her. "Isn't that how you ended up in the hospital?" he asked. Why does she have to work so hard? Is it because of the money situation? She could at least take some time off when I'm here, but she won't...she's so independent...I just want to take care of her as much as she takes of me.

"Don't you worry about me, I am just fine. You just concentrate on getting better," she answered.

"Okay, I'm gonna go back to bed. I'm still really tired," he said.

Alana wrapped her arms around his bare waist and gave him a hug for the first time since he came back from Los Angeles. He embraced her back and buried his face in her neck. He took a deep breath in and relaxed himself against her. Nick planted a small kiss on the inside of her neck and loosened his grip. Alana kissed his cheek as he snuggled back under the covers. And now you're going? After doing this to me? What I've wanted for for so long? Why do you have to leave?

"I'm sending A.J. home tonight," she whisphered in his ear "I'll see you tonight."

He smiled and closed his eyes, falling fast asleep.
~**********~

Come on Alana, you need to concentrate! You have to finish the this paperwork before you go home! Alana tried to concentrate on her work, but her mind was somewhere else.

Her thoughts were still stuck from this morning; from the moment when she felt his warmth. She felt like every second of that moment was coming back to her right now. The touch of his soft skin, sound of his heartbeat....But the most vibrant memory was his kiss-even thought it was just a it was just a little one. But this time, it felt different. It was not like it was just a friendly kiss.

A light tingle ran right down through her body as she mistyped a few words on the computer screen in front of her. But she didn't care about that. What are a few typos when I can sit here and day dream about my best friend? She knew it wasn't, maybe it really was okay to think about him in this way, but no matter that, she just couldn't stop.

What if he had kissed me again? I would have just given in, I guess. I can't resist him. How can any girl resist him? Actually, she was a little shocked by her self confession, but after times of being so single....
~**********~

Nick had woken up at 3:00 that afternoon. He was showered and had actually dressed in different clothing-a pair of grey pajama pants, and a bright red fitted t-shirt. He had left his face unshaven because he was just plain lazy.

It was 6:00 p.m and he was sitting on the couch in the living room in front of the television. He was covered in a blanket, playing his play station 2. He had taken his medicine when he was supposed it and was starting to feel better. A.J. had left at 5:30p.m. to go back home to Orlando so he could enjoy the rest of his break.

Nick put his controller down on the coffee table and closed his eyes. The next thing he knew, he heard the door close from the kitchen. He jerked his head and opened his eyes. It was 6:45 p.m. Alana was home. She came into the living room and sat on the couch next to him. She looked tired from work.

"Hi," she greeted him.

"Hey, how was work?" he asked.

"Tiring, busy," she answered as she put her head on his shoulder and closed her eyes. It's so good to be back home. Back to you...
~**********~

The next two weeks flew by quickly. Nick was getting his stuff together at the last minute, throwing stuff into two suitecases and three duffle bags that were layed out on the living room floor. Alana was trying to fold his clothes as he threw them at her. He had a cigarrette in his mouth as he shoved his laptop in a duffel bag. She hated when he smoked in her house, but she didn't care today, because he had to leave in a half an hour.

"Do you have your pillow?" she asked, folding up a pair of jeans and throwing them into the suitecase as she zipped it shut.

"Oh fuck!" he yelled from the other end of the house.

A few minutes later, he came out with his pillow, with her blue satin pillow case on it. At least he'll have a piece from home where ever he is, Alana thought as she helped him finish up packing.

Frank was waiting in the driveway. He was driving Nick to Orlando, where he and the guys would spend the next couple of months putting finishing touches on their new Album. Granted he was only an hour and a half away, he wouldn't have time to come back home to visit.

Time seemed to pass quickly because before she knew it, Frank was getting all of Nick's luggage into his jeep. Frank climbed into the driver's side and waited for him.

Alana just looked at Nick. It was nice to have him home for a while, but he always left. That's what he did. He would stay for a while, then pack up and leave again. She always hated saying good bye to him. Stay, she thought to herself, please stay, don't leave me again.

Nick didn't know what to do or say. He hated saying good bye to his best friend. She was always there for him when he came home. It didn't matter what the situation was, she was always there for him.

He reached for her and embraced her in a long hug. Her arms wound around his neck as she pressed her body against his. He could feel tears from her eyes on his neck as he held her tighter.

"I have to go Lana," he whisphered as he loosened his grip. But I don't want to go...but I have to...God, this hurts...this really hurts...

She let go of him completely and wiped her eyes. She watched him as he started to climb into the passenger side of Frank's jeep. She just couldn't let him go, not just yet.

"Nick! Wait!," she cried. I know maybe it won't be right, but I want to do this right now...I have to do this right now...

He turned around quickly as she ran down to the opened passenger door of the jeep. She took the collar of his blue polo shirt in her hands and pressed her lips to his. He jerked back surprised, but fell right into the kiss. Is this really happening now? It feels more than real... He kissed her back, something she thought that he would never do. Nick cupped her face with his hands and swept his tongue across her lower lip. He kissed her, gently and slowly, as she let him into her mouth. They both savored every moment.

She slowly broke the kiss and looked at him. He smiled, then she smiled back. He cupped her face again and pressed a small kiss to her lips again.

"I'll call you," he whisphered, smiling. Could this finally mean that she feels something for me? I wish this had happened earlier...
~**********~