- Text Size +
Her relationship with Nick was about to be thrown on the large table in the middle of the conference room. The conference room felt as if it had a stale atmosphere. It smelled like the walls were just freshly painted the pale white that they were. The room was rarely used in the studio, but Peter had insisted they use it.
Alana watched Nick as he instantly light up a cigarette. She could tell he was nervous, just as much or more that she was. Why is he nervous? I’m the reason why we are all here. She took a deep breath, taking in the familiar scent of his cigarette.

Peter sat next to him, as he took out a blue binder out of his brown, leather brief case. A.J. sat down next to Nick, so that the glass ash tray would be shared that sat in front of him. She watched as Kevin, Brian, and Howie strolled in together. They all sat around the table as Johnny Wright walked in.

She watched A.J. light up a cigarette from the pack he pulled from his jacket pocket. He threw the pack on the table in front of him and Nick. She felt Nick's hand on her upper thigh and rub it gently, reassuring her. It’ll be okay Lana…I won’t let anything happen to you. Alana gave him a half smile and put her attention up to Peter as he began to speak.

"Last night, you all went out and had a good time," he started "I'm sure that you were all aware that there were also photographers out too."

Nick nervously tapped his foot under the table.

"Pictures were taken and posted all over the Internet last night for the world to see," Peter continued, "I have gotten numerous phone calls this morning verifying some information that I don't even know." Peter looked directly at Nick and Alana.

"Would you two care to explain what is going on?" he asked as he passed around copies of the pictures that were posted on the Internet to all to see.

Nick ran his fingers through his hair and then covered his face with his hands. Her gazed shifted back from him to his assistant, then back to him. What the hell am I supposed to say? Are we together or not?

"I'm waiting Nick," Peter said in an annoyed tone "We don't want to be here all day."
~**********~

Alana couldn't believe that Peter put him on the spot, right in front of everyone. No one deserved that. She watched as everyone looked at Nick, waiting for him to say something. He couldn't take it anymore. He felt himself get angry. He stood up and pushed back his chair.

"You know what Peter?" He said, his voice rising "I am so sick and tired of people prying into my personal life, including you! I don’t give a flying fuck what anyone thinks! JUST LEAVE ME ALONE!"

Nick stormed out of the room, leaving everyone in shock. No one had seen him that angry in a long time. They hadn't seen him that angry since his break-up with Paris a year before. He then had a temper, which was all too familiar. It took him a long time to get back to his old self.

The silence in the room was unbearable. A.J. looked at Alana and raised his eyebrows in question. What just happened? She debated whether or not she should follow after him. She didn't know what to do. What do I do? Do I follow him or let him be? This was a first for her. She knew that she had adjustments to make to her life, be she didn't realize that everyone was going to be included.

Johnny cleared his throat, breaking the silence. "I think the first thing that needs to be done is to hire another bodyguard for Alana. Since there are pictures out on the web, we need to up security for both Nick and Alana."

Peter just looked at Johnny. That wasn't what he wanted to hear. He didn’t want Nick seen with Alana. It wasn’t good for his image, or his status in the business. She wasn’t the Hollywood type.

"What am I going to tell the press?" Peter asked.

"That's the last thing I'm worried about," Johnny said “That’s what Nick pays you to do. He hasn't made an outburst like that in over a year."

Alana started to get up, but A.J. lightly toughed her arm.

"Maybe you'd better leave him be this time," he suggested softly.

She raised her eyebrows as if she should question him. Nobody knew Nick like she did. What was it for them to tell her, especially A.J., what to do?

"You don't know him like I do," she said quietly. I have to see if he’s okay; just let me go…please?

"And you don't know him like we do," Brian said "He's better off by himself for the time being. It's his own way of blowing off steam."

Alana looked around the room. Everyone seemed to know how Nick handled his feelings. Was she the only one that didn't know? She was supposed to know him better than anyone else, wasn't she?
~**********~

Nick threw his body onto the couch in the downstairs lounge. He buried his head into the cushion as deep as he let out a loud, angry moan. This is MY life! Not his! Why was Peter questioning his relationship with Alana? He never questioned what he had with Paris. Was it was because both of them had familiar names to the public? Peter had actually encouraged his relationship with Paris. He said that it made his appearance as a person in the music business look better.

He sat up and drew out a cigarette out of his jacket pocket. As he lit it, he leaned done and took his shoes off. He chucked them acrossed the room so that that they hit the wall, hard. Fuckin’ prick.

He could feel the familiar, angry feelings coming back to him. The angry feelings that caused him to be moody, feelings that caused him to drink more, making it all go away. Nick ran his fingers through his hair, messing it up. He took a long puff of his cigarette before putting it out, let then it out after. He didn’t want to be like this again. Please not this again…I don’t want to be angry again.
~**********~

"Peter, I want you to start looking into hiring four new bodyguards,” Johnny said as he closed his notebook. “I want them hired by the end of next week. This can't be put off."

Peter nodded his head and gave Alana a really dirty look.

"If it wasn't for you, we wouldn't have to be dealing with this situation," he snarled at her.

A.J. overheard what was said and practically jumped at Peter’s throat

"Listen buddy," he said and he slammed his body against the wall "Alana has nothing to do with this, so leave her outta of it!"

He let Peter go and he immediately straightened the collar on his pink dress shirt.

Kevin stood right in front of his face.

"Don't let me catch you badmouthing her, or you'll have a lot of shit coming to you," he threatened in a low voice.

Peter gulped and gathered his things quickly, then proceeding to leave.

Johnny put a reassuring hand on Alana's shoulder.

"Don't worry, I'm going to take care of everything," he said "You’re probably going to get a lot of phone calls at the hotel. I would suggest letting the answering machine in Nick's room pick them up."

She nodded and grabbed her purse from the back of the chair. I have to get outta here…

"I'll see you tomorrow," Johnny said, shaking her hand. "Welcome to the family."
~**********~